Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Pastor of Muppets
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TL;DR: Went to forum track weekend. Started a little rusty. Worked with CR. Improved a lot. Hooked on track. Watch vids. Comment.

I went to the R1/R6 forum Memorial Jennings Track Weekend this past weekend and had a great time. Thanks again to everyone who orgainized this, and to all the CR's and all the people posting up pics!

This was my 2nd and 3rd time on the track (Jennings all 3) and I'm hooked even worse than I was after the 1st time. :nono I'm trying to scrounge the funds to get back up there in the next month.

Here are two videos from the end of the second day (Sunday). These were from the last two sessions of the day. I really never got very comfortable on Saturday, I played around with the suspension (thanks Steve) and changed the rear tire, but just couldn't get really relaxed and in my groove. I couldn't figure out what was going on, but figured some beer/sleep might help.

I felt better on Sunday morning. I was still in novice, which I couldn't understand because I was faster than everybody that was left in the class (some left Sat. and some got bumped). I kept riding novice until lunch and felt looser and more focused than I had on Sat. I decided to talk to one of the CR's at lunch and see if he could shadow me to see if I was ready to be bumped to Intermediate.

To all newer track riders: Talk to your CR's. I wish I had started working with the CR's on Saturday because it would've made the weekend even better.

I talked to "Doc" after he shadowed me for a session and he told me my lines weren't great and my BP sucked. :laugh He told me that I was barely off the bike at all and told me to follow him for a few laps and use his line. I told him I felt like I was way off the bike, and he assured me I was wrong. He did say that I was running well enough to try Intermediate though.

We went back out in I group and I worked on my BP some more and really concentrated on the lines he showed me. It felt much better. He said that I still wasn't off the bike enough so try to hang off even more next session.

The next session (last of the weekend, unfortunately) was awesome. I really exaggerated my BP and I felt much more solid, smoother and safer. I'm waiting on pics which should arrive this weekend to compare my BP from sat to sun.

On the end of Sunday I was running consistent 1.32's to 1.34's. Personal best was a 1.32.0. I'm pretty happy with my times but even happier with my improvement on my lines and BP. I can't fcking wait to get back. My goal next time is to get into the 1.30.xx range. It should be doable by sacking up and taking turns 3-5 hotter, and carrying more speed on turn in to 13. I also was amazed after watching the videos, how much more track I could be using.

Here are the vids, first is when I still wasn't off the bike enough. Second is with camera facing backwards (wish I had kept it the other way). I'll post pics once I get the ones from Sunday.

Let me know all the things I'm doing wrong. I'm determined to get consistently into the 1.30.xx's before I do anything else to the bike (go fast parts, gears, stickier tires, etc).

:beerchug

·
Registered
449 Posts
Very nice video! That track looks like so much fun, especially the chicane where you ended up downshifting 3 times.

Don't be afraid of those rumble strips man, you can hang your knee off of them! ;)

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Nice vids. Tried to upload mine on youtube before I left, on my dad's laptop, but they ended up being too long and removed from youtube.

Here are the vids, first is when I still wasn't off the bike enough. Second is with camera facing backwards (wish I had kept it the other way). I'll post pics once I get the ones from Sunday.
That was my fault, sorry I made you change the view as I didn't even get to really follow you from the start of the session.

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,811 Posts
looks good for your 3rd time out. You go into 2 with good speed... just continue to carry it to the outside of the track instead of cutting it short. That sets you up for 3 out wide by the brake markers. Tip in around the 1... downshift to 2nd by the time you get to 5 and get back on the gas for 6. Apex 11 the same but more gas all through 12 til the brake markers. Also set up for 1 much closer to the brake markers.

·
Pastor of Muppets
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice vids. Tried to upload mine on youtube before I left, on my dad's laptop, but they ended up being too long and removed from youtube.

That was my fault, sorry I made you change the view as I didn't even get to really follow you from the start of the session.
Hey man. Not your fault the camera was turned around. I still haven't taken that extra mount of the tail :laugh

I had to download a video editing program to shorten the vids total youtube length. I got it for free from download.com. Did your videos come out ok?

Have you seen any of the pics netjester put up on the r1 forum? Some pretty good shots in there. Hopefully fotogurl will have the rest up this weekend.
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com App

·
Pastor of Muppets
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice video! That track looks like so much fun, especially the chicane where you ended up downshifting 3 times.

Don't be afraid of those rumble strips man, you can hang your knee off of them! ;)
Jennings is the only track I've been to but I love it. Eventually I'll head elsewhere but for now I think it's a great place to improve my riding.

Yea I realized how much track I had left after watching the videos. Will definitely try to let myself run a little wider in some turns.
looks good for your 3rd time out. You go into 2 with good speed... just continue to carry it to the outside of the track instead of cutting it short. That sets you up for 3 out wide by the brake markers. Tip in around the 1... downshift to 2nd by the time you get to 5 and get back on the gas for 6. Apex 11 the same but more gas all through 12 til the brake markers. Also set up for 1 much closer to the brake markers.
Thanks for the advice. I've started writing things down in a notebook to take with me next time. I'll add these to the list. I feel that 3-6 is definitely an area I really need to improve a lot.

Turn seems like you can run it so much faster than you think. You just have to commit to a good turn in point and hit the first apex right so you don't run wide. Ill try moving further over and see what happens.

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,811 Posts
When you go into 3... you should be way north of 120mph. Simply chopping the throttle at the "3" brakemarker will scrub 20mph pretty quick. Fast guys are simultaneously downshifting and headed for the meatball in 5 in almost a straight line. Turn 4 is a non issue.
You'll know you are on the gas soon enough when you exit 6 on the right side of the track. If youre on the left side... youre going too slow.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
I had to download a video editing program to shorten the vids total youtube length. I got it for free from download.com. Did your videos come out ok?

Have you seen any of the pics netjester put up on the r1 forum? Some pretty good shots in there. Hopefully fotogurl will have the rest up this weekend.
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com App
Haven't even seen my videos. My dads old laptop doesn't even recognize the file type so I couldn't open the videos. Tried to get them uploaded to youtube before my flight, but that didn't work out either.

I saw some pics from Netjester which were nice. Need to check back to see if he added any more.

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,448 Posts
Nice!

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Nice vid. I need to get back there and work on my trail braking, looking further ahead, and bp. I got a list of.things to work on.
Maybe ill see you there one day

·
Parts Pimp
26,461 Posts
Definitely work on your BP. Bending your inside elbow will help you pull your upper body down and into the correct position. Watch the first video and look at your shadow. You're half assed hunching over. You're also gonna need to get your ass back further on the seat if you hope to get your chest on the tank in the turns.

If you keep the lean angle you are at now and sort out this BP problem you will be HELLA FAST down there! Low :30s is really moving there bro! Nice work!!!

·
Pastor of Muppets
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When you go into 3... you should be way north of 120mph. Simply chopping the throttle at the "3" brakemarker will scrub 20mph pretty quick. Fast guys are simultaneously downshifting and headed for the meatball in 5 in almost a straight line. Turn 4 is a non issue.
You'll know you are on the gas soon enough when you exit 6 on the right side of the track. If youre on the left side... youre going too slow.
I was moving pretty well into turn 3 (mid 120's). It's after that that I need to nut up. I get scared when I get to the braking markers and do all of my braking there, instead of scrubbing off speed through 3 and 4, into 5. I also tend to get a little target fixated (which I'm normally pretty good about) on the edges of the track at 3 and 4. That part of the track is defintely going to be a focus point next time out.
Haven't even seen my videos. My dads old laptop doesn't even recognize the file type so I couldn't open the videos. Tried to get them uploaded to youtube before my flight, but that didn't work out either.

I saw some pics from Netjester which were nice. Need to check back to see if he added any more.
Sorry to hear man. At least there are plent of pics to go through!

Nice vid. I need to get back there and work on my trail braking, looking further ahead, and bp. I got a list of.things to work on.
Maybe ill see you there one day
Me too. Let me know when you're headed out there. I work Sat, and Sun so I'll probably hit a Monday. It's looking like it's gonna be either 2 weeks or 5 weeks till the next Monday session. I seriously don't know if I can make it 5 weeks so I might just have to take of work on a Sunday.

Definitely work on your BP. Bending your inside elbow will help you pull your upper body down and into the correct position. Watch the first video and look at your shadow. You're half assed hunching over. You're also gonna need to get your ass back further on the seat if you hope to get your chest on the tank in the turns.

If you keep the lean angle you are at now and sort out this BP problem you will be HELLA FAST down there! Low :30s is really moving there bro! Nice work!!!
If you think my BP is bad in that video wait till I post up pics :lmao

I remember you saying to get the elbow bent, the last time I posted pics, and I really did try it. It's amazing how far exaggerated you think you're doing things until you see it on pics or video. I couldn't believe when the CR told me I was barely off the bike! Now I see exactly what he was talking about. My ass was barely off the seat, my chest was in the middle of the bike and my toe/knee were pretty much forward. The CR told me to think of 3 parallel lines, one at the elbow, one at the head, and one at the ass. All three parts need to move together along the lines. I'll definitely be working on it next time.

I have quite a few pics so far but I'm waiting to get the pics from Sunday afternoon before I post them up. Kind of before and after pics. At least I hope they look better than the ones I have so far :laugh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts