Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to ask a few questions b/c I'm new here and new to riding Street Bike. I have been riding Harleys and Choppers from before it became a Fad to own one. But since I'm only 21 all my buddies have street bikes so I decided to sell my HD (money reason too) and buy a 2000 R6. The bike is in great condition with a Vance and Hines full exhaust system and Jet kitted. Also has some apperance mods such as flush mounts, HID kit, and I'm waiting on a undertail.

I kinda in the dark on a lot of the lingo and other stuff so I just wanted some calrification on some stuff?

Squidy- Defintion?

Chicken Strips- Defintion?

Feel free to let me know any other words I might need to be brought up to speed on.

Also do you just ride with gear or no gear? Helmet, Jacket, leathers? I have been riding HD's w/o a helmet for so long it kills me to put one on. :jump :jump :jump

·
Registered
304 Posts
WELL A SQUID IS A NEW RIDER THAT MAKES A DUMBASS OF THEIRSELF AND CHICKEN STRIPS AS FAR AS I KNOW REFER TO THE SIDES OF YOUR MOTORCYCLE TIRE AND HOW MUCH YOU HAVE USED THEM. IF THEIR IS UNUSED TREAD ON THE SIDES OF YOUR TIRE THOSE ARE REFERRED AS YOUR CHICKEN STRIPS CUZ YOU ARE TO CHICKEN TO USE THAT STRIP OF THE TIRE.

HERE IS ONE THAT I LEARNED TODAY.....NSFW MEANS NOT SAFE FOR WORK..........REFER TO THE RECENT THREAD. (VERY MISLEADING....HEHE)

CONGRATS ON THE BIKE.........I HAVE A 00 AS WELL.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Helmet, leather jacket, cloves and good jeans at the least bro. Riding the sportsbikes is a different beast than the HD's. Its usually faster more competitive and cagers pay less attention to us because they can't here us most of the time. Please don't take the chance of not wearing your gear. There is a thread in here about a guy who was riding like 4miles with out his gear and some ass hole in a nissan clipped him and ended up grippling the guys hands, body and his life ect. Granted any of us would go down if some dipshit in a cage clipped us but the difference between gear can be life or death in a wreck. Ride safe bro always. It sucks hearing about fellow riders passing simply because they forgot there gear.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i wear a helmet any time i am going more than a few blocks down the street. if you are going to ride hard and have some real fun you will more than likely lay your bike over sooner than later. i layed my bike over in a parking lot doing some hard turns and i wasnt going but about 20mph and it ripped the knee out of my jeans and i still have scabs. i had a jacket on and all that happened up top was some scratches to my jacket no pain or lost flesh to the upper body which i consider a plus. i made me realize how helpful protection can be. i still have scars from a 40mph lay down 5 yrs ago with no gear. you make the call :idea:

·
Registered
304 Posts
YES, I DID FORGET ABOUT THE GEAR................ALWAYS WEAR YOUR HEKMET AT THE VERY LEAST. THE HARLEY S ARE LOUDER SO THEY ARE MORE EASILY RECOGNIZED BUT WHEN YOU ARE ZIPPIN ALONG AND THE CAGED (ANOTHER NEW TERM I JUST LEARNED....NICE) DRIVERS DONT HEAR YA AND DONT SEE YA CUZ YOU SMALL AND MAYBE JUST A BLUR AND YOU ZIP BY=============NO GOOD. MAYBE A GUY CAN LIVE WITH SOME MISSING SKIN BUT BRAIN DAMAGE IS PERMANENT. I USUALLY RIDE WITH HELMET, GLOVES, PANTS AND A LONG SLEEVE SHIRT.........THE JACKET IS OPTIONAL FOR IN TOWN DRIVING BUT A MUST FOR THE HIGHWAY ON LONG TRIPS.

RIDING WITHOUT A HELMET ON A R6 WITH OUT A WINDSHIELD LIKE YOU ARE PROBABLY USED TO ISNT ALL THE FUN EITHER WHEN YOU HAVE BUGS EXPLODE ON YOUR FACE OR GET SAND BLASTED BY PASSING SEMI'S. TO EACH HIS OWN........I HAVE A FRIEND WHO THINKS HE IS TOO GOOD FOR A HELMENT AND I STILL RIDE WITH ONE ON EVEN THO HE GIVES ME SHIT................YOU GOTTA THINK OF NUMBER ONE...........THAT IS MY VIEW BUT OPINIONS ARE LIKE ASSHOLES.......EVERYONE HAS ONE............C YA

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx for all the replies! I have to get a lid soon b/c here in New Orleans they are making it a law you mus have one again. When I got the bike it came from a guy with a small head so I gave that helmet to my G/F, any places to buy helemets cheap online? Any brand thats the best? I see a lot of guys using Icon, and Shoei helemets but those I heard are kind pricy.

·
Registered
304 Posts
DMTAONLINE.COM, DENNISKIRK.COM, ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT I CAN REMEMBER OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD. BUT SOMEWHERE ON THIS FORUM THEY HAVE A WHOLE LIST. SEARCH SOME OF THE PAST THREADS TOPICS.....

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
always wear your gear. skin and pavement don't mix real well. and a bucket cuz, well, you only have one brain and we can't damage the few remaining brain cells we have in an accident. its far more fun to detroy them with intoxicants so save them for that!

I got my lid here..... http://www.helmetcity.com/

I have the HJC AC-11 Zeek. Love it. Fits me nicer than all the others and its was alot cheaper than most. There are some sweet Arai and shoei replica helmets but they are cash. But if I had that cash, i would get one in an instant.

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the hyperformance of sport bikes!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts