Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,120 Posts
I would hope they wouldn’t denigrate the R7 moniker by putting it on that! That’s like what Ford is doing by putting the Mustang name on an SUV. Don’t get me wrong, the MT07 is a decent 2 cylinder platform...., but it ain’t an R7

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Displacement is a measure of volume across all cylinders. So yes, they dropped cylinders but added displacement. But instead of a nearly simultaneous two (potentially) weaker explosions per cycle, there's just a single (potentially) more powerful one. Benefit to shedding cylinders is shedding parts/weight. Obviously 74 HP and whatever torque that two-banger is generating won't cut it. They have all the other pieces... fully electronic fuel, air and throttle control. I wonder whether the next move might be a micro-turbo? A potential problem with larger/heavier pistons is a lower RPM ceiling. Automobiles have been steadily dropping cylinders and displacement for decades; with the more recent trend of standardizing the addition of mini-turbines.

·
Registered
156 Posts
162hp 750cc R7, this pretender is not. Calling this new bike a R7, is an insult.

·
2 wheels > 4 wheels
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea there is no way they're going to squeeze out triple-digit horsepower from that engine. What's intriguing/baffling is their choice of calling it the R7. Is there something else up their sleeve? Or is it a bored-out R6?

If they call it R7, then it'd better be on par with or better than Triumph Daytona 765.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,120 Posts
Yea there is no way they're going to squeeze out triple-digit horsepower from that engine. What's intriguing/baffling is their choice of calling it the R7. Is there something else up their sleeve? Or is it a bored-out R6?

If they call it R7, then it'd better be on par with or better than Triumph Daytona 765.
It will never perform even close to a Daytona 765. The MT07 twin is in a different class altogether. It is more in the Ninja 650, Honda Nc750 range.

·
2 wheels > 4 wheels
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Given that they already have a middleweight sport naked MT-07, the R7 has to be a supersport.
I don't see anything convincing that this is going to be the same engine.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,120 Posts
Given that they already have a middleweight sport naked MT-07, the R7 has to be a supersport.
I don't see anything convincing that this is going to be the same engine.
It’s right there in the article.....

“Yamaha are working on a faired MT-07 to fill the gap left by the outgoing R6” and.... “The parallel twin in the latest MT-07 produces 74bhp, so it’s clear that unless Yamaha give it a massive overhaul the new bike would compete with the Kawasaki Ninja 650 or Honda CBR650R rather than the Aprilia RS660. The CP2 engine is arguably the best bit of the MT-07, delivering a fun and engaging ride without brain-warping power.”

·
2 wheels > 4 wheels
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It’s right there in the article.....

“Yamaha are working on a faired MT-07 to fill the gap left by the outgoing R6” and.... “The parallel twin in the latest MT-07 produces 74bhp, so it’s clear that unless Yamaha give it a massive overhaul the new bike would compete with the Kawasaki Ninja 650 or Honda CBR650R rather than the Aprilia RS660. The CP2 engine is arguably the best bit of the MT-07, delivering a fun and engaging ride without brain-warping power.”
Anything in the CARB filing that confirms it? I'm not doubting the journalist here, but what is in the CARB filing leak that confirms it?

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,120 Posts
Via MC News:
“Except the new R7 won’t be anything close to a fire-breathing 750cc four-banger. Instead, the CARB filing lists the new YZF-R7’s engine as 689cc – the same size as the current parallel-Twin used in the MT-07, XSR700, and Tenere 700. This all but confirms the new R7 will likely be a fully-faired version of the MT-07 – or at least its engine.”

Motorcycle.com:
“Spotted by the eagle eyes at Motorcycle.com, the CARB filing tips that the 689cc motorcycle will use the parallel-twin engine found in the Yamaha MT-07.”

and in CycleWorld;
“In terms of specs, the CARB filings don’t give much away, but the emissions performance of the 689cc parallel twin is identical to that of the latest 2021 MT-07, which means it’s a safe bet that the power and torque levels will also be unchanged. That means we’re looking at a peak of 72.4 hp at 9,000 rpm, with torque maxing out at 49.4 pound-feet at 6,500 rpm.”

I’d say that the CARB filings would suggest nothing except the MT07 mill.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,120 Posts
If you look at the filing on the CA.gov page, see the “Evaporative Family” column? Look that number up and it comes back as the MT07.

·
2 wheels > 4 wheels
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you look at the filing on the CA.gov page, see the “Evaporative Family” column? Look that number up and it comes back as the MT07.
View attachment 376626
I really hope what you're saying won't come true. The 689cc engine comes up for all xYMXC.689 searches (1st letter indicates the year) for the displacement and emissions. If this turns out to be true, I really don't see a point why anyone would buy it. Might as well get an R1

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,120 Posts
Don’t get me wrong, I would absolutely love for them to bring back the R7..... a REAL R7. But there really is no market for it. The R7 was purposely built to compete in WSBK 750 class. The R1 and GSXR 1000 killed that class, and once they came out, no one was buying 750s anymore. The GSX-R750 was the lone hold out, and I’m pretty sure it’s done now, or on its last breath. Dorna will be changing the SuperSport rules in the next couple years to be something else...ala 765 triples and 960 twins. So a 689cc supersport doesn’t make sense for that either. Short stroke the 900cc triple engine and put it in a sport chassis.... then you’re talking about something interesting. 🤔

·
2 wheels > 4 wheels
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yamaha supersports have always been known for high RPMs. Not sure a short stroke FZ-09 engine can achieve much. Or a tuned MT-07, for that matter. Let's see how this will compare against 765, Gixxer 750.... or Aprilia 660.
Lowering my expectations.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Ongoing metallergical improvements aside, bigger bore, slower piston. 16,000 RPM means the piston moves up, then down, nearly 267 times in a single second. That means one up/down motion takes just 0.00375 second... which is pretty much unimaginable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts