Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all... Now, in my introduction thread i mentioned that i never thought i would be here but i got this r6 for a steal. $400aud to be exact.

The story goes, the guy who had it, dropped it, lost interest in it and purchased another bike. This r6 then sat in his back yard for 16 months and only by chance we came across it and made the offer. He accepted and i picked up the bike the next day.

First thing was to get the bike started (he said before he dropped it, the bike ran fine) i was confident. Fresh fuel, new battery with a bit of choke and she fired up with no problem at all. With the bike going and spirits high we went about giving the bike a thorough once over and doing what we thought would be important to keep the bike and us safe. Rebuild brakes, new pads, new tyres, manual cct, all coolant lines plus fresh coolant, major service and i am sure i have left a few things out.

The bike passed rego inspection with no problem and is now on the road. I will leave you with some pictures from the purchase day to it being on the road. Winning right???? :YEA:YEA:YEA:YEA:

Tyres purchased from the internet, fitted and balanced in the shed!

First ride!!!!

First track day!!!!

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Damn. I'm jelly. I got a bit more than $400 into my bike. :lmao

Did you intend on doing track days when you mounted those tires on?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn. I'm jelly. I got a bit more than $400 into my bike. :lmao

Did you intend on doing track days when you mounted those tires on?
Good question! Yes and no. The stories goes, I purchased the bike with a good mate so $200 each on purchase and split the cost of everything down the middle. The initial intention was to make it a track only bike but as we worked on it further we decided to make it road legal and get it registered. We thought this tyre would be a good option for all road riding conditions and the occasional track day. To give you an idea, I putt around cutting laps in the slow group every time even though I could move up one group I feel more comfortable finding my own space on the track and doing my own thing. In saying that, for my level of riding, the tyres performed flawlessly and by the last 2 sessions I had no doubts in turning the sucker in and knowing it was going to stick. Key words are "my level of riding" hahaha

·
....Casper....
719 Posts
nice, i'd say you're doing pretty good man!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was just saying to the co-owner, these bikes have a certain 90's flavour to them. They're awesome!!! I was also thinking that people get caught up in the "latest" and "greatest" machinery but in actual fact, an old school bike like this is still a capable machine. Much more capable than many road riders. I'm loving this thing!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts