Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I file for a abandoned vehicle so I could potentially receive a title for a stranded bike? And what exactly happens when I file could someone explain it?

Thanks, Jay

·
Oorah!
1,140 Posts
You can't, they will take the bike and keep it to see if anyone reports it stolen. Probably best you'd turn it in too.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
You can't, they will take the bike and keep it to see if anyone reports it stolen. Probably best you'd turn it in too.
It might depend on the state. I know for sure if you leave a car etc at a repair shop in ohio the shop can obtain the vehicle title and take ownership of it.
(my buddies bodyshop did it)
but...the customer owed his shop money on the car I think.

·
12,482 Posts
:werd

·
Ya wheelies is garbage!
5,935 Posts
It might depend on the state. I know for sure if you leave a car etc at a repair shop in ohio the shop can obtain the vehicle title and take ownership of it.
(my buddies bodyshop did it)
but...the customer owed his shop money on the car I think.
That's just a mechanic lein like in most states and in no way the same thing as just trying to get the title on a stranded vehicle. They can do that because they are owed for services and the property is considered collateral, they can sell said property to reclaim and losses owed to them. Doesn't have anything to do with a vehicle just being left on the side of the road or in a parking lot or something. Pretty sure in most places the only thing that can be done in this situation is have the bike towed, get the information from the tow company and ask how long they will keep it before acutioning it off for storage fees. They will contact the last known owner and they will have the chance to get it out of impound. If they don't and the bike sits for so long it will go to auction. So unless you did some work on this bike and know the owner you more than likely can't file petition for the title.

Summary, call a tow service and get their info and see if the bike ever gets reclaimed or not. If not try to scoop it up when it's up for auction.

·
Sex and Bikes Go Together
1,222 Posts
That's just a mechanic lein like in most states and in no way the same thing as just trying to get the title on a stranded vehicle. They can do that because they are owed for services and the property is considered collateral, they can sell said property to reclaim and losses owed to them. Doesn't have anything to do with a vehicle just being left on the side of the road or in a parking lot or something. Pretty sure in most places the only thing that can be done in this situation is have the bike towed, get the information from the tow company and ask how long they will keep it before acutioning it off for storage fees. They will contact the last known owner and they will have the chance to get it out of impound. If they don't and the bike sits for so long it will go to auction. So unless you did some work on this bike and know the owner you more than likely can't file petition for the title.

Summary, call a tow service and get their info and see if the bike ever gets reclaimed or not. If not try to scoop it up when it's up for auction.
:werd

·
Banned
14 Posts
check your local laws, but you will definitely have to go through the authorities. it's quite possible that you can claim the vehicle or have first crack at it should the time limit for the owner's reclaim pass...keep us updated on what you do

1 - 13 of 13 Posts