Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm at the track yesterday and this dude walks over to check out my bike. He to is riding and r6 wrapped in track plastics and showing some signs of being a dedicated track rig. So this guy starts looking at my bike and asking a few questions, year ,upgrades, future plans, etc etc.
He tells me that the first upgrade I should do is to adjust my front forks by loosening the the top section and sliding the forks down until they are level with the front clamps. I've never heard of such but he then tells me that the ecu limits power in gears 1-3 to only 68%, gear 4 to 80% and 5,6 are the only gears I will get 100% from the engine. He claimed yammi did this to protect the average street rider.
The guy claimed to be a racer and from his talk, he seemed to be pretty competitive. He said he had most of his work done at graves which gave him some creditability as to what he was saying, but it all sounded very strange to me. Is this guy full of ish? He said he tried the Bazzaz uint and it was junk. He told me to pull my ecu and take it to graves to get the fueling limits pulled so that I get 100% power in all gears.

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
His facts are a little off. :laugh

·
Premium Member
4,922 Posts
something along the lines of the ecu controlling the throttle bodies until like 9000 rpm where the intake finally opens up and lets air into the engine. could that be it? :dunce:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
something along the lines of the ecu controlling the throttle bodies until like 9000 rpm where the intake finally opens up and lets air into the engine. could that be it? :dunce:
Not sure. He was trying to tell me that with the fueling limits in place, it could/would cause choppy throttle through corners. I personally don't let my rmp's drop below 10 grand at any point on the track so I told him I've never had a problem with throttle surge or choppy back and forth action. He said I would get considerable more power from the first three gears from said ecu flashing.

·
Premium Member
4,922 Posts
i'm no expert but it sounds like what he was getting at was the engine braking that could affect you if your ecu was still controlling the throttle, mess up your chassis and stuff entering a corner.. ecu flashing or whatever is supposed to help with that

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so on one of my local forums a couple of r6 guys are saying they were told to do said suspension up grade. The gsxr guys are saying they have done this for years. I haven't heard back from anyone that has actually done it yet so any of you racers on here, have you done this to your bike and what was the result?

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
Lots of guys on 2008 R6 slide their forks down the triples so that the tops are flush with the upper triples.. The 2006 and 2007 have 10mm shorter forks, so there isn't any wiggle-room with them though. Some people hate it, most people like it.

...and I'm not sure what year bike you have, because you never told us. :dunce:

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
I think the 2012 went back to shorter forks, so you're still in the same as the 2008 style-- slide the forks down if you want and give it a shot. Like I said, some people LOVE it, some people hate it.

Also, the stock ECU is only limited below a certain RPM-- it's not on a by-gear basis. If that was the case, the only gear dyno-tuners would use is 5th or 6th, and that's not the case.

...and lots of people have Bazzaz units (myself included) and I've never seen anybody that DIDN'T like it.

The dude sounds like a tool, IMO. Knows a little bit, but tries to use that graves "credibility" to make people think he knows everything there is to know.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Eh, can't comment on the dudes knowledge as I'm on newb status. This is my first bike ever and power wise, it's much more than I can handle. The suspension stuff is interesting me though as I'm finally getting enough speed on track that I can feel the loading and unloading. Especially on a bumpy track like willow springs.

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
You're a newb? Leave your suspension alone. Leave the whole fcking BIKE alone until you're mid-level intermediate group.

....except brake lines. Get some fren tubos and you're solid all the way through I group.

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
the percentages he was talking about are governed by the throttle bodies... it's one of the main reason people flash their ECUs or get a YEC unit ($1200). It's definitely not something that should concern you as a new track rider. When you're racing at the front of the pack, it's something to look into.

As for dropping the fork tubes, yea, most track riders or racers will set up their bike with the front end flush. It already turns so fast and raising the front stabilizes the bike a lot.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So front end stability is the reason for lowering the forks, I guess this is an issue at higher speeds? I ask because at this point I haven't had any issue with head shake or turn in. At higher speeds does the r6 suffer certain issues or something?

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
not really it's the handling characteristics at any speed, really. it's something you have to feel to completely understand. try dropping them 5mm, and if you like it, try 5mm more. the best part is that you can always put it back ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts