Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting ready to take apart fairings.i have my bolt bags ready but just seeing if I should know something special.thanks

·
daily
245 Posts
use twice as much clear as u think u do! and sand until it hurts and then sand for another hour! otherwise good luck with the paint, I did mine and it was very prideful!

·
My R6 PWNS me
141 Posts
use twice as much clear as u think u do! and sand until it hurts and then sand for another hour! otherwise good luck with the paint, I did mine and it was very prideful!
What this man said, Take your time and it'll come out good, I did the same thing.

·
Registered
391 Posts
The key to a perfect paint job is the prep work. What method are you planning on using rattle can or HVLP gun? If you want a glass finish you have to sand off the orange peel and spray, sand, spray, etc... Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im taking it to a friend who paints.he will pry use a gun,im just prepping.do you guys have any steps for prepping.thanks

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
make sure you use a fine grit sandpaper and lightly wet it when you sand it. Its called wet sanding Im sure you could youtube or google some instructions or techniques.Use a block or some other flat surface so it sands evenly as well. Good luck.

·
Waiting for remission...
2,444 Posts
Take your time, don't get anxious just because you want it done. It'll probably come out looking like crap and you'll have to do it again so do it right the first time. I'm speaking from personal experience.

·
Registered
501 Posts
after sandig wipe it down with alcohol to get it clean and help the paint stick better if not it could chip and flake.

·
daily
245 Posts
I tryed using a sanding block but there are so many grooves and curves that i just found it easyier to just sand by hand. everyone says to use a very fine grit sandpaper but u can and should start with something pretty course, depending if you have rash, OEM paint, or what is already on it that you want to get off. I think i started with a 220 or 320 real lightly and then went to 600 1000 1500 2000 or higher if you can get it and then you dont need to worry about it after that couse it would just need to be sanded before and between clear coats, but if your buddy is doing that he should know better then me. (hopefully)
this is just what i did and it was alot of work but take ur time and have plenty of paper, especially the finer grits and use the courser grit very sparingly
good luck!

·
Registered
537 Posts
I will be painting soon as well, anyone have a step by step on proper prep. I will do the prep myself and then get it painted by a local shop to save money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts