Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was at a red light with a couple of friends yesterday waiting for the light to turn green.

eventually it turned green, i launched in 1st at about 2500 rpms, regular slow launch.

after the launch i twisted the throttle all the way(full speed ahead style)

next thing i know in a matter of a second, im looking at my gas tank and im doing a wheelie... aside from me almost shitting my self since i have never done a wheelie before not even on a bicycle.... i let go of the throttle, and the front wheel came back down.

at this point my nuts smacked the gas tank and i kept going.

will this always happen when i give it full throttle like that? is there anything i should do to make this i land ok? any risks involved? cause i didnt know what to do so i just let off the throttle but i wanna be prepared if i ever go to the strip. any advice would be great, key answers im looking for:

Will this always happen when i give it full throttle?

What can i do to keep the wheel on the ground FOR SURE, and no i dont mind if it comes up like a foot cause thats not a big deal.

What do to when the wheelie does happen to make sure the wheel comes down safely and i dont bust my ass?

if anyone needs this info: im 6'2 210 lbs. lol.

p.s. this wheelie happened accidently at the busiest intersection in my town and several people saw(including some hot chicks) :YEA :YEA :YEA

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what are the chances of it going too high and i slide off onto my ass?

how do i control it and make sure i can land it safe?

how do i prevent it from happening when i launch fast?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I wouldn't know how to control it, considering I only did a couple. What a rush right?

But to prevent it, try not to rip it hard quickly.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
The chances of you sliding off are going to be very slim, but the chances of you looping it (goin over backwards) are going to be pretty high if you keep on it hard without good throttle control.

Power wheelies arent the easiest to control but the the easiest thing to land softer is to let off the throttle slow, or just before the front wheel sets down give it a little gas which will ease the tire.

Prevention...dont wrap on the throttle, make it more of a continuous motion instead of all or nothin.

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
Prevention...dont wrap on the throttle, make it more of a continuous motion instead of all or nothin.
:stupic
What he said. I think that's a no-brainer dude. Your front got light because you wrapped the throttle. If you ease up a bit a just do a continuous roll (you'll be just as fast) then you're wheel will get light but stay down. I personally get out of first by 7-8k cause at 8-9k my front wheel is dying show itself in all of it's glory.

·
Registered
196 Posts
i did the same thing the other day lol. i was out cruising around with my friend and decided to see "what she got" in 1st. next thing i know my bike is pointed to the sky and i'm trying not to shit myself. i did basically the same thing...just let go of the throttle. i think the best thing you can do to keep from looping is keep that rear brake covered.

·
2003 R6
691 Posts
I had that happen to me really bad once. I dont do wheelies and I was not expecting it. I pinned 2nd gear starting at about 5krpms and when it hit 10-12k rpms I was sitting at 12 o clock. Tlk about scary.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Also keep your foot on the rear brake if you try to explore the power like that again. A small tap on the rear brake should bring it down. edit: Duh!! just read what xcmav66 said ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts