Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today as I was leaving work, I decided to let off some steam. As I shifted from first to second, I didn't shift hard enough and went into neutral. At this point I was going about 40 mph. I decided it would be better to shift into second rather than first after traveling in neutral for about 5 seconds only to hear a clunk clunk clunk. I got really scared and proceeded to come to a full stop to put it into first gear.

I have never had a gear grind as I usually shift with load on the gear slightly before the shift.

The bike seemed to shift fine after the incident but did I totally EFF my transmission? Is doing this once (or twice as I bought this bike used, dunno how the previous owner rode it) ok?

Help! :mad:

·
Registered
380 Posts
In my (limited) experience from missed shifts from 1-2 when you hit neutral instead of 2nd and roll back on the gas and she starts to bounce off the limiter then just pull in the clutch, try to rev it up to where you think it should be for the speed you're going and plop her up to 2nd. You shouldn't feel anything too too bad.

The first time this happened to me i just pulled the clutch in without rev matching and got a hard "clunk" but you should be fine.

If you're really worried, look for metal shavings/chunks in your oil when you change it.

But if it shifts fine now, then you know no severe damage was done. Hope this helps.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
R6 Pilot
647 Posts
Bighitguy hit the nail on the head.

If you did something serious you'd know before you got home.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
Ive done this about 600 times. Exaggerated but you get the picture.
I've even got it between a gear downshifting at the track around 90mph before. Try doing that. Haha. Makes the same loud clack going in gear

1 - 7 of 7 Posts