Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Ride it like you stole it
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations that I should be aware of when adjusting my chain? Do I have to worry about the wheel coming out of alignment? How much slack am I suppose to have? Any help would be appreciated. I pretty mechanically inclined but want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything when adjusting my chain. Thanks in advance.

·
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone? anyone? bueller?

·
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No one has any information to help me out!!!

·
Registered
917 Posts
when you're adjusting your chain you should use the little notches on the chain adjusters to make sure you're not too far on one side. I check the tension on my chain buy sticking my fingers between the chain and swingarm right behind the rearset. If I can get 2 fingers between my chain and swingarm while my fingers are vertical I need to tighten it. Wait a minute that makes no sense. Ok hold your fingers out like your making a gun but with a 2 finger barrel (if that makes sense) better yet make a peace sign then put those 2 fingers together. Now that you got ur 2 finger gun try to stick your fingers between the chain and swingarm your index finger should be on top of your middle finger while you do this. If you can fit your fingers in then you have too much slack. I know this was long and drawn out but this is how I check mine

·
47 Posts
When you are sitting on the bike, you should have about 1/2 inch of up and down movement. Use the marks on the swingarmto make sure the wheel isnt crooked.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have a 2007 r6, I have my bikes rear tire off the ground, i have the axle bolt off, and ive loosened the adjustment bolts on the back of the swingarm, but when i go to pull the tire back it will not budge, how do i get the tire to move back so that the chain will tighten?

·
RACE READY MODE
207 Posts
I believe there is a nut you adjust to tighten your chain. I don't think it is done by pulling on your tires dude. go check it out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
when you're adjusting your chain you should use the little notches on the chain adjusters to make sure you're not too far on one side. I check the tension on my chain buy sticking my fingers between the chain and swingarm right behind the rearset. If I can get 2 fingers between my chain and swingarm while my fingers are vertical I need to tighten it. Wait a minute that makes no sense. Ok hold your fingers out like your making a gun but with a 2 finger barrel (if that makes sense) better yet make a peace sign then put those 2 fingers together. Now that you got ur 2 finger gun try to stick your fingers between the chain and swingarm your index finger should be on top of your middle finger while you do this. If you can fit your fingers in then you have too much slack. I know this was long and drawn out but this is how I check mine
Pictures please.

·
RACE READY MODE
207 Posts

·
My headlight is burnt out
137 Posts
You need to loosen the nuts on the end of the adjusters, and them turn the adjusters/studs with an allen wrench.

Like he said. Loosen the nuts and put an allen wrench into the end of the "bolt". Adjust as needed and straighten out the other side.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts