Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of adding a power commander to my 2004 R6, just want to know what are the changes I can expect. I have a Yoshimura TRC slip on and a K&N air filter. By the way I dont race, just ride hard from time to time

·
I do it for the Chicks.
296 Posts
Same boat, im about to order my PC3, and I currently only have a slip on, and K&N. I plan on only doing a basic map until I get a header and velocity stacks, then Ill probably pay to have a custom map done. I want mine for more top end/higher rpm racing.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I am no expert but I believe that it adjusts how the ecu handles the performance mods that you put on...i.e. it takes advantage of the higher level of air in the intake due to your aftermarket air filter and tunes your bike accordingly

again i could be completely wrong but i believe that is the gist of it, somebody else can explain it to you in more detail if you want...and if your asking if you should get one then I would say yes

·
My other bike has 6wheels
127 Posts
I think you're pretty much right. I believe with the addition of a power commander there is the ability for the ecu to make adjustments to things such as the air/fuel ratio to compliment your other mods added to the engine.

I am no expert but I believe that it adjusts how the ecu handles the performance mods that you put on...i.e. it takes advantage of the higher level of air in the intake due to your aftermarket air filter and tunes your bike accordingly

again i could be completely wrong but i believe that is the gist of it, somebody else can explain it to you in more detail if you want...and if your asking if you should get one then I would say yes

·
I do it for the Chicks.
296 Posts
I know WHAT a power commander does. Im more wondering how much of a difference it makes with only Filter/Slip-on.

Once my bike is completely done with power adding mods, this is all I will probably do:
Power Commander
Id like to swap the K&N for a BMC
Header
Slipon
Velocity stacks.

Not much, but If I wanted ALOT of power, I would kept my R1.

·
Registered
366 Posts
i dont think itll give you that much power, just make your power band more efficient, but it will give you a little bit

·
Registered
296 Posts
ok, the only thing a power commador does is give you the ability to tune your fuel curve. kinda like jets and needles on a carb.

Stock bikes come out of the factory tuned for emissons. Witch means they are lean in the low end. This gives a crappy throttle response but low emisson riding around town.

To put a pc3 on a stock bike the first thing your gonna notice is a way better throttle response. just amazing what it does for the bike.

When you start droping parts on the bike your fuel curve goes haywire. runs like crap, pops, crackles, you name it.

IF you know enough about tuning then you can tune the pc3 your self and get it pretty close. But its really hard with out some kind of fuel/air ratio meter. Thats were the custom map comes in. They have the ability to see dips in the power and the mixture. What you end up with is a razor edge tune and a motor that follow every command of the throttle.

It not a total power thing. You might only get a few hp out of a pc3. But what you will get is an awsome running bike thats easyer to ride everywhere.

Not to mention the longer life of plugs and better fuel milage.

Hope this helps.
DK

·
Registered
296 Posts
I just ordered a Leo full system, BMC filter and PCIII, so I could get better MPG then the 42 I am getting now ??

You will get less milage with those parts but, if you did that with out the pc3 you would get way less milage. I would get about 150 a tank stock. When i put my mid pipe on it went to 90 miles !! After the pc3 im now getting about 120 to 130 mile per tank.

DK

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
You will get less milage with those parts but, if you did that with out the pc3 you would get way less milage. I would get about 150 a tank stock. When i put my mid pipe on it went to 90 miles !! After the pc3 im now getting about 120 to 130 mile per tank.

DK
Thanks for the info D.King

·
08 R6 SuperStreet
179 Posts
Any better breathing and constant fuel mixture should give better gas mileage its called with that extra umph you get from more air you tend to ride it harder which makes it easier to burn thru more gas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey all I been a mechanic since i was 14 not sayin i know any more about bikes than anyone else but if you get your pc3 dynoed correctly with someone with an a/f meter. If you can sweeet talk them into it they can set up an extra map for every day riding and a full out performance map. The difference is you can get way better gas mileage buy leaning it out to a safe point for long rides like going to the beach or or back and forth to work with the multifunction hub you can switch between the two on the fly ive seen 10+ miles per gallon gained by this.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Hey all I been a mechanic since i was 14 not sayin i know any more about bikes than anyone else but if you get your pc3 dynoed correctly with someone with an a/f meter. If you can sweeet talk them into it they can set up an extra map for every day riding and a full out performance map. The difference is you can get way better gas mileage buy leaning it out to a safe point for long rides like going to the beach or or back and forth to work with the multifunction hub you can switch between the two on the fly ive seen 10+ miles per gallon gained by this.
Thanks for the info... The PC3 can only hold one map at a time ?? How hard / much time would it take to switch between two diff maps ??

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
You just have to hook it up to a computer with the PC3 software on it. Laptop is the best cause you dont have to remove the PC3 from the bike, you can just take the laptop out to the garage and turn the bike on and upload the map. The software lets you store multiple maps for download.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts