Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I was looking at a 2017 R6, less than 6k miles, is $10k with track setup (hotbodies/rearsets/clipons/folding levers/tankgrips/throttle tube) a good deal these days? I see listings around there or more but it's hard to tell what they end up going for. No steering damper, autoblipper, ecu changes, no aftermarket exhaust, but is very well maintained and only one owner with clean title/vin.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Price seems about right if it’s in really good condition; you could always offer a bit lower and see if they’ll work with you. Then use that money saved to buy the parts you mentioned the bike doesn’t currently have 😅 In my opinion track day riders take better care of their equipment than most street riders, so hopefully you’ve found a gem.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,522 Posts
I paid a lot more then thst for mine! But I bought it new.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you two! I've offered a bit lower and am waiting to see. If we can't come down, that's cool, I'm willing to wait for a more built out one to come by.

It seems hard to get things like the ECU flasher/blipper, damper, etc used, they're usually sold with a bike. Building it out with new parts for what I want would negate the used bike savings..

I think the hard thing this year is people have really inflated their asking prices, hearing about the hot used vehicles market so you see people sitting on high asking prices for weeks or months. It can be hard to tell what things end up going for, with forums you can see the price drops but you still don't know how much the final deal went for.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,522 Posts
Ftecu was around $1000 with the autotune components. Akra headers were $850. Yami quick shift $150ish. Who knows new prices since there is so much inflation now.

Reactions: lopsided

·
Registered
75 Posts
Price of everything is up, but since R6 is discontinued it made it worse. It’s a crazy time out there right now.

I actually have a used set of 17+ SS Akra headers that I need to post up for sale, I forgot I had them. I did maybe 500 miles on them before switching out to a full titanium set.

Thank you two! I've offered a bit lower and am waiting to see. If we can't come down, that's cool, I'm willing to wait for a more built out one to come by.

It seems hard to get things like the ECU flasher/blipper, damper, etc used, they're usually sold with a bike. Building it out with new parts for what I want would negate the used bike savings..

I think the hard thing this year is people have really inflated their asking prices, hearing about the hot used vehicles market so you see people sitting on high asking prices for weeks or months. It can be hard to tell what things end up going for, with forums you can see the price drops but you still don't know how much the final deal went for.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
....... In my opinion track day riders take better care of their equipment than most street riders, so hopefully you’ve found a gem.
I'm more of the "I want it unmolested." type. Most of the problems experienced with most altered a.k.a. "modded" vehicles are created by their owners.

Whether it's a bicycle, car/truck or motorcycle, there's nothing more aggrevating than a ride you have to fix, every time you pull it out.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,522 Posts
Solution: don't pull it out?

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,522 Posts
In the the case of my 1968 C20, I didn't have a choice. Motorcycles are in the wait if you don't like it another will come along list.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Na, he wouldn't budge enough, I just couldn't justify going higher than what I offered given the price of a new ZX-6R even though the R6 has its own advantages of course. Just getting the ECU flashed and steering damper was going to run about $1000 at which point I might as well get the new ZX, was my thinking. The fact that you really can't do any clipon risers with the 4th gen R6 was the other hesitation vs the easy riser options with the ZX.

I'm still going to look around, I think I'm going to take my time, if the R9 actually is announced in November that will make the decision very easy in that direction.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The ZX is very capable and well priced. The R9, i assume will be the triple like the MT/XSR engine, will be a fun bike. I have an XSR900, it doesn’t have the top end and the all out screaming 16k rpm’s like the 4 cylinders, but tons of torque down low and it’s a lot of fun on the street. I know a few guys with MT’s and XSR’s that ride on the track and they are fast. Add some aero to it and she’s golden.

Na, he wouldn't budge enough, I just couldn't justify going higher than what I offered given the price of a new ZX-6R even though the R6 has its own advantages of course. Just getting the ECU flashed and steering damper was going to run about $1000 at which point I might as well get the new ZX, was my thinking. The fact that you really can't do any clipon risers with the 4th gen R6 was the other hesitation vs the easy riser options with the ZX.

I'm still going to look around, I think I'm going to take my time, if the R9 actually is announced in November that will make the decision very easy in that direction.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,522 Posts
It would probably be cross plane as well oike the existing 3 cyl.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One thing I can add, I had been looking extensively at all the used R6's on the market in disbelief at the prices, I was assuming people were just asking for the moon and seeing what will fly (and were prepared to drop 2-3k for an actual buyer with cash in hand).

Spoke with two dealers in the CA Bay Area who insist the R6 is hotcakes right now, supposedly reselling within days and good condition low-ish miles / later gen are going for 13k at dealer auctions. I would suggest anyone who is considering upgrading / moving away from R6 highly consider taking advantage of this bubble before (if so) the R9 is announced. I would assume you would get 11-12k on the spot in any of the 3 big cities in Cali (LA/SD/SF).

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Yeah it's amazing. I could almost sell mine for what I bought it for, some +70k ago LoL.

Even though they haven't been out long, I've seen a few R7s around town already. Local Yamaha dealer had one delivered to the floor and was sold within a week. I wanted to sit on it to compare to my 2nd-Gen R6 but because it was "reserved" they wouldn't allow it. Because of the COVID shutdowns, stocks and supplies are still sdubidly low.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts