Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Advice on Cornering/BP/Seating etc..

5K views 36 replies 18 participants last post by  Zilaniz33 
#1 ·
I'm a fairly new rider who upgraded from a 250 to a R6. Its an amazing bike, lots of power and amazing flickability, which is good and bad atleast for me. The good is it makes it easier to corner and move around. The bad is that the slightest input and it moves the bike.

I know my body positioning is completly wrong and 300miles on the R6 and i still havent found that sweet spot regarding to seating. Im also having trouble gripping the tank which is causing cramps in my hands and horrible feedback when cornering.

I pretty much got everything else covered on the R6. Just having a real hard time taking corners correctly.

I set money aside for about 5 trackdays in the next two months, and will also be taking the classes there.

Besides that is there any advice, online articles or videos that can help me with my BP, correct way to sit and grip the tank and cornering?

Thanks, Victor :cheers

#5 ·
locals are Chief and John, talk to them and have them SHOW you. They have a good head start when it comes to track and I think they will be willing to help out :cheers
The NJ Summer BBQ is this weekend, alot of members are going to be there. I'll be sure to ask alot of questions lol. I also plan on doing track days with John and Chief.

Tank grip pads might be a worthwhile investment. It'll help you stay put and not slide up onto the tank on the brakes.

Also, are you talking about going out and hitting the twisties, or riding around in traffic?
Yeah i'm picking up some Grips. I'm talking about Twisties. New York City streets arent ideal for high speed cornering :lmao

#13 · (Edited)
I'm just looking out for you, personally I practice more advanced stuff in a controlled environment, like a huge parking lot alone if you plan on going too the track with chief & other members even better, wait till then. There are too many veritable on the street that could lead to us noobs getting ourselves killed or someone else killing us. The street is no place to practice "Theory" You may understand what the members tell or show you, but grasping the concept & executing are two different things.

It takes practice to get this stuff down and you will make a shit ton mistakes, trust me I know, I've been there & I am still there, Hell I might start giving tours.:lmao

We are one rushed turning point entry, cold tire slip, poor throttle control ect
mistake from disaster on the street.

Just my 2 cents.

I know, you just came off a 250 and outside of your one crash it was smooth sailing (so did I), I know you live near a lot of forum members that can ride, I know you want to catch up to them, I know the little voice in the back of your head tells you "You can do it. Just don't push it hard" Even if you deny you have that ego we all have it baiting us on to do shit we shouldn't.

Then when we **** up that little voice says "Oh man I can't believe you just did that.":lmao Remember I'm a Noob too, so I know how noobs think.:fact

A few local guys have died recently on 600cc bikes and up, they were all noobs. One guy died a few weeks ago because he didn't know how to turn his damn bike at a high speed. He literally died less then a block from ridding it off the dealership.:nono

I'll shut up now because it's not my Goal to come off as a dick to you. Just take it slow man, I may seem like a douche now, but if you still have the 6 in a year you'll understand what I am saying.

In fact there is a member, I disagreed with when I first join who kind of give me the same talk. but, his was a bit more smug :lmao If I ever see him post again, I will PM him to apologize for me being a know nothing noob.

#14 ·
Honestly, until you are able to hit turns hard, it's impossible to get perfect body position. :fact

We'll work on it on the ride for the BBQ. For now, just focus on getting one buttcheek off the seat for turns.

Don't ride/hump the tank either. How tall are you?

Are u riding in jeans? Without some tech specs, your knees and thighs are just gonna slide all over the tank unless u wear leather.

Focus on having a very very gentle grip on the bars. That will force u to use your legs more to hold yourself up. If u have a long enough turn to be in for a while, you should be able to flap your arms like a chicken. Super relaxed arms and a light grip is crucial. Otherwise you'll get funky lines, instability, and tank slap too.

When we hit the track, we will put u on a bike on stands in the garage and have you work on your bp with us watching u and we will get it nailed down.

Work on the things I mentioned first and next weekend I'll work with u. I gotta be takin it slow on the street cause I'm fcuked right now with tickets and points :(

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com forum app

#17 ·
I'm down for a learning session at the BBQ this weekend too. I have about 30k miles under my belt, but no track days. I can always use some fine tuning.

#16 · (Edited)
:popcorn:

#18 ·
There's a book called "twist of the wrist." I think there are a couple of volumes out there. anyways you can download them as PDFs and they have some pretty good pointers in there. I read through both of them before I sat on my bike and I can tell you I definitely stopped some bad habits before they began.

#36 · (Edited)
Keith Code Twist of the Wrist 2. buy it, download it, whatever, watch it. then watch it again. try not to get more than half a cheek off the seat, keep your weight on your inner leg (you're not sitting on the bike in a turn, you're standing on the inner leg), kiss the mirrors through the turns, left turn means right nipple on the left side of your tank, right turn means left nipple on right side of your tank, DO NOT target fixate, always be looking through the turn ahead of you, keep about a fist length between your junk and the tank, in a straight slide all the way back on the seat and tuck you head to the tank or as close as you can get it, keep over 8k rpms at all times, before you hit the track, get your tires and suspension in order, they are the most important thing that will make you go faster safer than anything else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.