Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys... Just wanting to hear some of the owners opinions on this r6 I may buy. I don't want to sound like a squid or anything, but the r6 lifespan does not seem to be too long from what I hear and understand. Looking to pick up a new bike here within the next month and came upon a 99 r6 in my area. Has a little bit of rash on the left side I believe... not supposed to be bad. The 2 things I am concerned about however are the fact that the bike has 25k miles on it as well as a 2nd gear problem? The way the guy said is that 2nd is functional, but whenever you nail it in second it will slip? Doesn't sound like its dropping out of gear or anything... Trying to determine if this will be a $100 labor cost of a potential $1500 rebuild. I think I may be able to get the bike for $2500. My gixxer got stolen last October and I am dying without a bike... :( I actually am looking for a potentially rashed bike b/c I intend on repainting/new bodywork anyways. Any and all opinions are welcome from whatever direction. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance.

Caz

·
Registered
222 Posts
you might want to keep looking. that second gear problem is the dogs wearing down... if I'm not mistaken it can progress... so that bike may be a little tricky to get in 2nd gear now, but every time you miss 2nd it's gonna grind a little more off until it does start popping out spontaneously.

people tell me it costs about a grand to fix the problem unless you are keen on splitting the engine yourself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah that's kind of what I was afraid of... oh well.. the search goes on. :roll:

Anyone selling? :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
2nd gear

As far as the dogs go, well not only will it be expensive to fix, but it could become a deadly problem. The problem is really not with it wearing down, the problem is when it gets weakened enough, it will sheer off completely, hence the dog is now in your gears. This can cause a few things to happen, one of which will get into your gears and you will come to a sudden hault and over the bars you will go. If that doesn't happen, you will most likely shoot the dog right through the case and you are SOL again. Either way, it's a bad issue to deal with and I know from experience that when the dog sheers off, it is not a pretty sight....note, my lacerated liver and ruptured gall bladder in a desert race. As far as the R6, I just bought mine and I did a lot of research on it. I talked with a bunch of people that have them from years 00 to 04 and they are completely happy with them. I was with a guy today that as an 02 and he rides it daily and has never had one problem with his. This is why I picked the R6, that and the GSX-R's seem to be the hottest and most stolen bike on the market today. I'm a newbie to this sight, so I won't make it sound like I know everything.

Ash

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
Re: 2nd gear

LVR6RIDER said:
As far as the dogs go, well not only will it be expensive to fix, but it could become a deadly problem. The problem is really not with it wearing down, the problem is when it gets weakened enough, it will sheer off completely, hence the dog is now in your gears. This can cause a few things to happen, one of which will get into your gears and you will come to a sudden hault and over the bars you will go. If that doesn't happen, you will most likely shoot the dog right through the case and you are SOL again. Either way, it's a bad issue to deal with and I know from experience that when the dog sheers off, it is not a pretty sight....note, my lacerated liver and ruptured gall bladder in a desert race. As far as the R6, I just bought mine and I did a lot of research on it. I talked with a bunch of people that have them from years 00 to 04 and they are completely happy with them. I was with a guy today that as an 02 and he rides it daily and has never had one problem with his. This is why I picked the R6, that and the GSX-R's seem to be the hottest and most stolen bike on the market today. I'm a newbie to this sight, so I won't make it sound like I know everything.

Ash
UMM, dogs in the gears is bad, mkay :mrgreen:

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
keep looking i wouldnt buy a bike with 25k miles on it. if i was i wouldnt buy it for that much. the highest i would pay for that bike is $1500. but i also would plan on a complete rebuild. in the end after rebuilding everything you could have just spend a few thousand more and get a new bike.

my rule of thumb for buying a used bike is the same as a used car. i only look at vehicles that are less than 2 years old, and no real damage. i would take that bike to the shop to get it inspected by a mechanic who knows what to look for if you dont. besides it will usually cost around $30. i would rather take in 3 bikes to get checked and spend $90 and buy the best of the 3. than get screwed and find out a list of things wrong in the next few weeks of owning that bike.

·
Registered
953 Posts
get an 03+. honestly it's your best bet. unless you have something personal about 02-. there isn't much of a price difference anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, in all honesty I am really trying to keep the price low and really want more of a project, but at the same time it needs to be free of mechanical probs. I'm open to pretty much anything but kawi's... I just saw this guy post about the r6 and was considering.

·
Registered
953 Posts
i don't think it's possible to run out of mods for a bike. if you have a rather large cash fund go for an older bike. but 03+ are just smoother, newer, better quality all-round. you can get a good rashed 03 for $4-5k.

if you are open to other bikes but want to work on it don't go for a cbr600 - they never break pretty boring and more expensive. get another gsxr 600 they have parts falling off them all the time it's like a pinata party!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts