Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking to purchase another motorcycle for the past couple months and I’ve come across a 2006 gsxr-600 with only 10,000 miles on it. The gixxer looks like its never been dropped, stock fairings, aftermarket slip on, and a bunch of cosmetic upgrades. I negotiated with the guy selling the bike and I got him down to $3,500. Is this a good deal? Ive only been searching for a couple months, should I just wait a couple more months save up about double the money and get a newer bike or is this a deal I shouldn’t pass up on? My previous bike was a 2015 Yamaha R6 so it feels like ill be downgrading but its been two years since the last time I rode a motorcycle. I would love to hear some opinions on what you would do in my shoes wether to pull the trigger on the 06 gixxer or wait a couple more months and get a newer 600cc bike/maybe even a 1000cc bike.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
................. previous bike ... 2015 Yamaha R6 ........... been two years since the last time I rode ......................................................
So at the moment you're bikeless? Why was the prior bike given up? It may be relevant. If it's just going to sit in corner I wouldn't spend much. But from the sounds of it, you may be looking to upgrade regardless. Personally, I'm a "buy it once" kind of person. Saving money isn't buying the same thing over and over and over. Saving money is patiently waiting, getting what you want the first time around, then maintaining and keeping it.

10k on a maintained and shifted engine isn't much. If the oil wasn't maintained and they were unnecessarily riding around at 12,000 RPM because they didn't want to shift it, then 10k can be more like 30k.

Does it have a carburetor? Personally I avoid those.

Check the wiring. Wiring is rarely done right by amateurs. If they're running stuff back to the battery then okay. But if they're tapping sh* into wiring harnesses with crap like this (clampdown style wire tap)...

...or this (add-a-circuit)...

...then don't be surprised if there are issues down the road.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
$3500 for a 13 year old bike soon to be 14. it better have new tires and a fresh tune up. (spark plugs, oil etc) in my opinion cosmetic upgrades set off warning signs. too many guys buy cheap chinese ebay garbage. if it has name brand stuff that's different. what does KBB say its worth in your town?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts