Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey people, hope you're all doing well, I'm new to the r6 forum. I basically almost lost my life today and wanted advice on situations like the one below which happened to me today. like how shall i use my brakes etc to affectively come to a better stop or from falling off my bike, i know how the braking system works but wanted to know more, whats the best way if your at high speeds on a motorway and any other advise.

So basically was on my R6 on the motorway doing 70 mph then there was a sudden bend on the motorway and the wind didnt let me turn properly. So i was heading straight for the ramps in the middle of the motorway. so I braked gently and didnt slam them so i dont topple over. Ended up right next to the motorway ramps on the grass, dirt and soil etc and accepted that im gonna fall so i tried to turn and slow down as much as possible so that i dont damage myself much when i fall, bike was wobbling alot but then out of no where i gained full control again so then i looked to my left and pulled out to get back in the lane. Was worried about my right leg cuz that was pretty much touching the ramps and it would have got crushed first. Lucky escape. any advice please. I will really appreciate it. I am just shook up about what happened and want to understand more on how I could of got out of that situation more or how I made it without falling. Thanks

Regards
Harris

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Ha.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Counter steering.

Watch twist of the wrist 2 over and over again.

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
no offense, but you sound like you've never really ridden a motorcycle before. what's your experience level?

counter steering is something that's weird to explain, but is necessary to learn in order to properly control a sport bike. also, when braking, you should just use the front brakes when making any kind of emergency stop. unless you're not on a paved roadway, then use only rear brakes.

invest in some of the twist of the wrist books, watch some you tube instructional vids, enroll in an MSF course and check out a track day. you'll be glad you did.

stay safe...

s3aturnr

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no offense, but you sound like you've never really ridden a motorcycle before. what's your experience level?

counter steering is something that's weird to explain, but is necessary to learn in order to properly control a sport bike. also, when braking, you should just use the front brakes when making any kind of emergency stop. unless you're not on a paved roadway, then use only rear brakes.

invest in some of the twist of the wrist books, watch some you tube instructional vids, enroll in an MSF course and check out a track day. you'll be glad you did.

stay safe...

s3aturnr
Hey, Thanks for the advice. I have beed riding for almost 2 years now. I started off on a honda cbr 250r which I used to ride a lot for commuting as well. Then I jumped onto a 2011 r6. which I've been riding for roughly 4 months but I don't ride it that often.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
Harris 1992? So you're 21? Sell the bike and get something smaller. That will help you stay alive.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
You couldn't turn because the wind was too strong?

I would say drop the jib and reef the mainsail.
This caused me to laugh aloud.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Wow!!! Not sure if op is serious or not but you need to practice riding more. Seat time is key.

Ridick - Skeet Skeet Skeet!!!!

·
Love my bike
1,398 Posts
Sounds like your problem is more turning than braking. Anyway, follow the advice from these guys and you will be fine. Glad nothing happened to you or your bike. Ride safe

·
Registered
98 Posts
I agree... You should lean more. In normal conditions, the bike will almost always have more grip than what you're comfortable leaning...

·
Hey...watch this
574 Posts
I'd tell you to park the R6 and get something more tame but you wouldn't listen. You need to go to a track day. They will help you more than you can imagine and you will have a ton of fun. And you'll live to ride another day.

·
Registered
200 Posts
1) Look further up the road. No curve should ever take you by "surprise".
2) If a curve does take you by surprise, then slow down!
3) When in doubt, ease off and lean some more. You're no where near the limit of the tire's traction, even if it seems like you are.
4) SLOW THE **** DOWN!
5) Read #4 ten more times.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Were you following the speed limit? You should always stay within the designated speed limits on roads you are unfamiliar with to avoid the surprise of a "sudden bend."

My advice.
Only push your limits in a safe environment that you're familiar with.

Ride safe

·
My bike hates me
776 Posts

stay safe...

s3aturnr
In the MSF course they teach you to use the front break for normal breaking and for emergency breaking apply the rear break after you've applied the front break.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 23 Posts