Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the 2004 R6, I noticed that the rear turn signals unplug via a black and gray plastic connector. When I went to the local bike shop, all their after market rear turn signals have thin, metal plugs.

So are there any aftermarket turn signals that have the yamaha-like black/gray plastic connector?

And if there isn't, how do you connect the metal plugs from the aftermarket turn signals to the Yamaha's plastic connectors?

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
I am almost positive there won't be any aftermarket lights that use the Yamaha plugs.

Just undo the plug, don't cut anything off the factory wiring...and then just tap the factory wiring before the plug. I would actually cut off the metal ends of the aftermarket lights.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Undo the plug? You mean, I can just pull the black/gray plastic yamaha connectors off -- is that simple?

Cut the metal tips off the aftermarket turn signals, and then tape the two together? It's really that simple?

·
max speed
242 Posts
Yep that is what I did :mrgreen: Keep the bike wiring intact and then just cut the wires off your stock signals and connect them to your new signals. That way you can keep the stock black/grey connectors with your new signals.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
unplug the connectors, as in take them apart to remove the factory lights. Literally, just undo the plugs.

now, you remove your factory lights, and you have the other half of the plug and the factory wiring left. Right?

Undo some of the tape around the wires left on the bike, you will see two wires going to each plug. Tap into the wires about 2" below the plug (roughly where it says "TAP" in the picture), thus you never get rid of, or cut the plug. If you ever have to go back to your stock lights, you could just plug them back in.

Yes, cut off the metal clips on the aftermarket lights, so that you just have wire. That end will fit in the wire tap. Read my writeup for more info on wire color codes. www.yzf-r6.net/undertail.htm

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
panago said:
Yep that is what I did :mrgreen: Keep the bike wiring intact and then just cut the wires off your stock signals and connect them to your new signals. That way you can keep the stock black/grey connectors with your new signals.
This also works! I just like to keep all my factory plugs on factory stuff...just personal preference. Too many years of working on vehicle interiors and electrical systems made me never cut off a plug! haha

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I'll try it tonight and post how it turns out. or maybe tomorrow since I plan on a long ride tonight.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
one last question. when you mean "tap" into the wire, do you mean to just tape the wires together under the tape or to cut the wires and then tape?

·
Registered
79 Posts
You can buy the oem yamaha connectors now. This is what I did for my front signals. This way I don't have to hack the factory harness at all. I personally wouldn't tape anything either. Solder the oem connector to the aftermarket signal wire and then heat shrink the solder point. It is worth a few extra bucks to keep everything factory!!!!

·
The Decal Guy
1,650 Posts
Bumping an old thread... but where in the hell do you get the OEM connectors from?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts