Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so this was highly irritating, especially since it happened when I was riding, thank God I'm ok though. Previous owner put this lowering link in that snapped when I hit a pot hole! I bought a stock one on ebay and put it in yesterday, so I'm rolling again, my issue is that the bike feels higher than my old one. I don't know what the stock ride height is, and it feels like the preload was adjusted (3 clicks down from the top). What is the setting from the factory on these? I want it back to stock. I could almost flat foot my previous moto (94 CBR) and could flatfoot the one before that (91 FZR), but this just feels too high. Maybe because I'm used to the way it feels lowered.

The brand of this is "speedlink". Don't ever buy it!

this is from where my wheel slammed into the tail.

·
pin it to win it
8,082 Posts
Wow I bet that was scary as fack. The r6 does sit real high stock.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow I bet that was scary as fack. The r6 does sit real high stock.
It wasn't as scary as you would think, it just felt like I hit a HUGE pothole and the bike stayed low. I thought the shock collapsed and I couldn't get off it to check because I couldn't let the kickstand down. I had to wait until my roommate got there with the truck, then lay it down in the back on it's side :(.

So if I'm 5'9" then it's normal for me to not be able to flatfoot it? I'm not way up on my tippy toes, but I definitely can't flatfoot it.

·
pin it to win it
8,082 Posts
Sounds about right.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, thanks! I'll have to get used to the way it feels then, I don't mind it being higher. The cornering feels different at low speeds but I expected that, I just need to get used to it.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,380 Posts
Was the front lowered, too? You'll want to be sure it is at stock height, now, or the bike will be very twitchy and unstable.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So it's supposed to lean this much on level ground? It seems almost unstable. Could my kickstand have been shortened when it was lowered or does this look like a normal lean?

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,380 Posts
Good catch. What Fischy said....

·
I ride my wife and her R6
101 Posts
The lean on the kickstand is normal and nothing to be concerned about.
You do not need to be flat footed on both feet either. As long as you can get one foot on the ground when you are stopped you will be fine. At 5'9" you will be ok.
With the added height in the rear you will feel the bike want to tip in a lot more easily than before because of the tighter rake angle and shorter trail distance. Find out what the stock height is for the front and set it up accordingly. If it is too high it will cause understeer, although you will likely not notice it since you have a higher rear than you are used to with the added height. Regardless, you should set the front to stock height if you have the rear height at stock, which it likely to be at now.

Best of luck to you and glad you didn't bin your bike.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your front end sure looks higher than stock, hard to tell from the pic but are the clip-ons mounted under the top triple clamp?

Stock configuration is...clip-ons (bars) mounted above the top triple clamp and the top of the fork tubes are even with the top of the clip-on clamps.

Is yours different than stock?
No, I've seen guys do that before. The top of the forks are a few mms higher than the clip ons. The front hasn't been adjusted at all, it may just be the picture angle. Also everything that was done to the bike has been documented in a log book also, nothing is mentioned about the front forks.

If one of you guys can send me a measurement between the ground and the bottom-front/bottom-rear of the fairings I can fully check the ride height. Measurement while the bike is on the kickstand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts