Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
LHRB
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lots of older threads on aftermarket wheels, but nothing recently.

Looking to upgrade the wheels to a lighter set without spending carbon prices.

Good read on why lighter wheels:

Anybody try these wheels? Very light.

APEX-6 YAMAHA R6 2017-2019 FORGED CORE MOTO WHEELS

Bare Wheel weights.
FW35LM1 Front: 5.79 Lbs

RW6LM1 6" Rear: 7.96 Lbs
RW55LM1 5.5" Rear: 7.84 Lbs

MARCHESINI FORGED ALUMINUM WHEELSET: YAMAHA R6

OZ MOTORBIKE PIEGA FORGED ALUMINUM WHEEL SET: YAMAHA R6 '03-'15

OZ Motorbike GASS RS-A Forged Aluminum Wheel Set 2017-18 Yamaha YZF-R6

Front: 17 x 3.5"
Weight: 7.7 lbs
Rear: 17 x 5.5"
Weight: 9.7 lbs

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
I wouldn't trust the published weights. Is this for street or track? A set of BSTs is $3200 all day long. Not sure why you would not spend the loot when they are all over $2000 anyways. Make sure you get the proper valve stems.

·
LHRB
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't trust the published weights. Is this for street or track? A set of BSTs is $3200 all day long. Not sure why you would not spend the loot when they are all over $2000 anyways. Make sure you get the proper valve stems.
Street and track use.

I had a set of BSTs on a Panigale 959 and they were amazing.

Looking to try an aluminum wheel.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Didn't your bike come with aluminum ones?? lol.
Id worry about the cush drive rubbers. I was lucky a few years ago and got a lifetime supply
of cush urethanes for my bikes with aftermarket wheels.

·
LHRB
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still thinking about wheels.

The BST is tempting. May just start with the front.

·
LHRB
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
FWIW

Published weight of the BST is 5.9 lbs without bearings,add .4 pounds (6.4 ounces) with bearings = 6.3 lbs total.

The website indicates OEM is 8.8 Lbs.

·
LHRB
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In case you are interested, this is the weight of a stock 2018 ABS R6 front wheel with stock rotors and a 50% used Pirelli TD supercorsa.

When I mount the galfer wave rotors on the BST and mount the same tire, I will post a comparison.

·
LHRB
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
22.5 lbs with galfer wave rotors for a weight savings of 14%

Not as dramatic as I would have thought but the weight savings also puts less of the rotating mass on the outside of the wheel . Such is the claim but I have no evidence of such.

·
LHRB
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is an interesting read:

* Carbon race front wheel was 15% lighter but had a 25% better inertia figures .
* Carbon race rear wheel was 10% lighter but had 33% better inertia figures .

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
is there any kind of coating on the bead of the BSTs?? I would put a tape line on the wheel and a paint mark on the tire... just to see if the tire spins on the rim under hard braking.

·
LHRB
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
is there any kind of coating on the bead of the BSTs?? I would put a tape line on the wheel and a paint mark on the tire... just to see if the tire spins on the rim under hard braking.
Yes, the bead is grippy, not glassy and slick like the outer finish. Not a bad idea to mark the rim and tire though.

·
LHRB
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The OZ wheel is 20% lighter than the stock OEM wheel (NO OEM rotor and phonic wheel installed, no sprocket or carrier)

OEM 13.3 Pounds

Oz Piega 10.6 pounds

·
LHRB
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All in all, with the superlite steel sprocket, same tire, the OZ piega rear comes in about 10% lighter ready to mount on bike.

OEM rear, stock rotor, sprocket and carrier, Supercorsa TD tire 50% life: 32.5 pounds

OZ Piega, stock rotor, OZ carrier, superlight steel sprocket, Supercorsa TD tire 50% life: 29.7 Pounds

·
LHRB
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
FWIW I had to use a propane torch and an impact gun to break the stock rear rotor bolts free. Re-used those bolts for now. Not recommended.

Ordered a set of titanium bolts from Pro Bolt USA Professional Motorcycle Bolts and Fasteners | Pro-Bolt USA to replace them at some point. Re-used the stock bolts on the new OZ wheel but I am not comfortable with those bolts after having to heat and hammer them to get them out.

Should be good enough for one more track day ... I hope.

The new front wheel rotors have black titanium bolts from Pro Bolt. Nice pieces.

Two tools I highly recommend if you remove your wheels more than once per year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts