Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I met this dude that has an 01 R6 almost exactly the same as mine colour-wise, but his internals are stock. He came over today for help with putting in his plugs and I decided to open the airbox since we were in the vicinity anyway. It's not even yellow anymore and got dried bugs all over it.

I have a K&N which I can clean, but he still has the stock filter. Since I changed my stock out the same week that I bought the bike I have no experience with it.

Does anyone know if it can be cleaned? If so, how is best? Compressed air? Soap and water? Will it disintegrate if wet? And what do you use to oil it afterwards?

Comments appreciated!!

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
EDIT: Dont ask me why my last post said what it did. I think I typed in the wrong thread reply...

If I am correct the stockers are composed of paper...which will probably come apart if you were to wash it...I'd just tell him to invest in a K&N or a BMC

·
Registered
23 Posts
hey bro...in regards to cleaning your filter...one way to do it is to Clean with break cleaner/ carb cleaner. Then wash with soap and water. Let dry fully. Best to check with the manufacturer...

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
EDIT: Dont ask me why my last post said what it did. I think I typed in the wrong thread reply...

If I am correct the stockers are composed of paper...which will probably come apart if you were to wash it...I'd just tell him to invest in a K&N or a BMC
I think you're right - it's kind of furry - don't know if it's paper fiber, but it's furry, with some foam consistency; way different from my k&n. Thing is - as I recall, the stock filter is best recommended for the first gen. I have a k&n because my stock filter didn't play well when I put in vstacks, ignition advancer and rejetted the carbs - air became a bottleneck, but he's completely stock so I assume (from what I hear) that a k&n or bmc would be a down step in performance and reliability. Am I wrong?

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
I think you're right - it's kind of furry - don't know if it's paper fiber, but it's furry, with some foam consistency; way different from my k&n. Thing is - as I recall, the stock filter is best recommended for the first gen. I have a k&n because my stock filter didn't play well when I put in vstacks, ignition advancer and rejetted the carbs - air became a bottleneck, but he's completely stock so I assume (from what I hear) that a k&n or bmc would be a down step in performance and reliability. Am I wrong?
Hey dude, you can't go wrong with better breathability and durability. I love the thought of having something that I simply have to "wash" rather than go and purchase a new one. An easier breathing engine will ALWAYS be a better engine in my mind...

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For anyone wondering - I found the answer to my question. You CAN wash the stock air filter. It will not disintegrate, and you can use most any oil to lubricate afterwards but transmission oil or engine oil works best. Though my friend already went and bought a BMC so ...

Hope this helps someone in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts