Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any comments on which type of filter I should replace my stock with? I have an 03 with Hindle titanium full exhaust, v stacks, and power commander coming.

·
Registered
293 Posts
i had nothing but problems with a k&n on my 02. im not sure how they work on 03s but i wouldnt recommend one.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any thoughts on the BMC race filter. Is the stock filter really a keeper?

·
Registered
527 Posts
I heard that about a K&N as well but I bought one anyway. It was a bitch to put in though. The stock one to me was just a waste of materal. Take at look at it when you work on your bike. Foam???? I don't get. Seems to me a way to cut cost on a great bike!!!

Blade

YEA!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you notice any decreased performance with the K&N?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
the only thing you'll gain with a k&n over a stock filter is being able to wash it. You'll also just gain more time dynoing to get same results from the stock filter. Stock will also perform more consistantly (k&n will be clean one day and just as dirty as a stock filter can get the next day)

·
Registered
527 Posts
No one really knows if you can or lose because it just depends on who you ask. Me personally that thing they call a stock filter is garbage and will never go back in her or my bike for that matter. Only relly way is for someone to dyno with a stock and without to see if their is really a difference. Any takes Sport rider or Cycle World would do a test on air filters????

Blade

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
A filter is a filter basically. To gain from either one, you have to adjust the fuel mixture to the amount of air the filter is able to breath. Well duh, we all know this. K&N's are good filters and i like them and clean new will definitly outperform a stock filter, couple horse or so. However, like i say, this will benefit you the most when racing, cause you're gonna clean your filter for every race day so it's gonna be more consistent. For just everyday riding etc... it's not going to be worth all the effort, and that's why i'm saying a stock filter will suit you just fine.

Catch my drift? Just my .02

·
max speed
242 Posts
fireblade31003 said:
Any takes Sport rider or Cycle World would do a test on air filters????

Blade
Is there no other filter options? If Graves Motorsports doesn't make one maybe there is nothing to gain besides the ability to clean a K&N. Guess we have to look for performance elswhere... Like the ram air or airbox :mrgreen:

·
max speed
242 Posts
fireblade31003 said:
Any takes Sport rider or Cycle World would do a test on air filters????

Blade
Is there no other filter options? If Graves Motorsports doesn't make one maybe there is nothing to gain besides the ability to clean a K&N. I would like to see some sort of testing on this subject also. Guess we have to look for performance elswhere... Like the ram air or airbox :mrgreen:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Don't think since Graves doesn't make one there is nothing to gain. Think of the sponorship you get just for having something on your bike. Will a Shoei helmet make you faster? No but if they pay $$$$ Yea it makes me faster. I'll say that all day long. To each his on this filter deal I'm going riding!!

Blade

:poke

·
Registered
995 Posts
carb' Rsixers should stick with the original filter,KN filters on a carb bike will lower the bhp.however new injected Rsixers don't suffer from this problem

·
Registered
409 Posts
BRAVO said:
carb' Rsixers should stick with the original filter,KN filters on a carb bike will lower the bhp.however new injected Rsixers don't suffer from this problem
I agree the computer will adjust more fuel with the more air flow = more power and will help with a powercommander and graves now makes a new filter box

1 - 15 of 15 Posts