Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, happy halloween all

Does anyone know where I can get an air filter for a 3rd gen r6? There was a k&n filter in the bike, and I don't feel like spending $70 on a new one.

I bought one of these ebay "stock" air filters but it wouldn't fit because of the backside:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Filter-Fit-For-Yamaha-YZF-R6-2008-2009-Red-A7/283657943581?fits=Model:YZF+R6|Make:Yamaha&epid=697911077&hash=item420b54ba1d:g:4FYAAOSwBKBccXKm

It seems like only k&n air filters will fit my bike, or one w out that backside but I cant find any.

Pics of my air filter "setup" included lol

Attachments

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Is the filter damaged? K&N are washable. Buy their cleaning kit and wash it. The filter just has to be dry before putting it back in. Don't use compressed air either.

If it's damaged and needs replacing you can check out other aftermarket companies like HiFlo or BMC to compare prices. Just don't get anything labeled "race". And remember all of these are washable so it's a 1x price whereas a cheap foam filter is not usually washable.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the filter damaged? K&N are washable. Buy their cleaning kit and wash it. The filter just has to be dry before putting it back in. Don't use compressed air either.

If it's damaged and needs replacing you can check out other aftermarket companies like HiFlo or BMC to compare prices. Just don't get anything labeled "race". And remember all of these are washable so it's a 1x price whereas a cheap foam filter is not usually washable.
Yeah, the filters destroyed, needs to be replaced.
I'll check out those companies.
What's wrong if they're labeled race?
And that's true, reusable's better in the long run

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Race filters sacrifice a little bit more filter effectiveness for more airflow. A daily street bike sees far more dust, pollen, bugs, whatever, then a track bike will so a street bike requires more... 'filtering ability' (unscientific term). Plus a track bike is tuned for more airflow. If you need a definitive difference between a street and race filter check with the manufacturer, they have the exact specs such as micron rating etc.

·
Zip ties and Duct tape
171 Posts
Race filters sacrifice a little bit more filter effectiveness for more airflow. A daily street bike sees far more dust, pollen, bugs, whatever, then a track bike will so a street bike requires more... 'filtering ability' (unscientific term). Plus a track bike is tuned for more airflow. If you need a definitive difference between a street and race filter check with the manufacturer, they have the exact specs such as micron rating etc.
ditto^

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ah i gotcha, makes sense! so k&n air filters would be better for the track then street?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Not necessarily. Some brands market 2 different filters. One High Flow (Race) and another with smaller micron rating geared towards everyday use. K&N might not have 2 separate categories like say BMC who clearly calls their High Flow filters "Race". K&N however always markets their filters as "High Flow" and the BS claims of increasing Horsepower yada yada. But they are still fine for street use and many people use them. My point was that if you have the option between the 2 don't go for one labeled "Race" etc. thinking oh it's gotta be better if track guys use it. It's a common misconception that track parts equate to improved street use.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not necessarily. Some brands market 2 different filters. One High Flow (Race) and another with smaller micron rating geared towards everyday use. K&N might not have 2 separate categories like say BMC who clearly calls their High Flow filters "Race". K&N however always markets their filters as "High Flow" and the BS claims of increasing Horsepower yada yada. But they are still fine for street use and many people use them. My point was that if you have the option between the 2 don't go for one labeled "Race" etc. thinking oh it's gotta be better if track guys use it. It's a common misconception that track parts equate to improved street use.
Gotcha gotcha, thanks for the tip! i'm gonna keep that in mind

1 - 10 of 10 Posts