Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I currently have a M4 Y pipe and a shortened stock muffler, and it is just way to loud and drones. I think if I put a exhaust tip on it, there would be no change in sound.

So the dilemma is, do I put a Akravopic Slipon on it, a Yoshimura TCR full system that I can get new for about $600, or do you guys have any other suggestions? Is the full Yoshimura system decent? Or should I stick with a slipon? I cant explain to the wife why I want to spend double or triple that for a full system, so the full Graves, Leo, Akrapovic is out of the question.

My previous bike was a CB1000R with the Akrapovic 3/4 system and it way perfect just as a reference.

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Stick with a slip on.

The stock slip on is basically just a straight pipe, since Yamaha depended on the belly muffler/cat to muffle the sound. You're basically running a straight pipe right now, since the stock slip on has minimal baffling.

Since you've already paid for a midpipe, you can invest into a slip on. Yoshimua, Akrapovic, Graves, Leo Vince, etc. Any of those would be much quieter than what you have set up now.

·
2 > 4
156 Posts
**Warning: May be more information than you needed**

Talk to Ant (ChiefDawgSmoke), or any of the vendors on here, if you would like a Leo. Ant has the best price I have seen, but Agg, RidersDiscount, etc all tend to have great prices on stuff and you are supporting our forum vendors.

I can't imagine another slipon canister would be that much quieter as slipons are designed to go on a stock exhaust system, but maybe? I just don't have any experience with that. I can tell you that my Leo Vince full system is quieter though than the Midpipe + Stock Can. Though, I am not sure I would call it quiet.

Also, something else to consider is the difference in midrange power though between the midpipe setup and a full system. Not everyone agrees with me and maybe I had a less than great tune for the midpipe (I had MJS), but I felt that midrange power just wasn't there. The LeoVince (and I am sure most other reputable full systems) pulls well through the midrange making it much easier to get better drive on corner exit. Maybe this isn't a big deal for street guys but it does matter on track.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you think the Yoshimura full system is decent? The price of a Akrapovic slipon and what I can buy the Yoshimura full system are so close. I just dont want to buy a crappy full system, but if it can get me the much needed midrange, how could i say no. I already have the Bazzaz and autotune kit.

Chupapuma, is that pic of your avatar from the Ridge or Pacific? Move to AZ a year ago. But I got to do a track day at the Ridge before I left. (My First)

·
2 > 4
156 Posts
Do you think the Yoshimura full system is decent? The price of a Akrapovic slipon and what I can buy the Yoshimura full system are so close. I just dont want to buy a crappy full system, but if it can get me the much needed midrange, how could i say no. I already have the Bazzaz and autotune kit.

Chupapuma, is that pic of your avatar from the Ridge or Pacific? Move to AZ a year ago. But I got to do a track day at the Ridge before I left. (My First)
I honestly don't know enough about the Yoshi to weigh in. When I was buying my exhaust I was considering Leo/Akra/Graves/M4. Realistically the difference isn't probably drastic, especially if you aren't racing/competing, and the price is more affordable.

And yeah, that is The Ridge, turn 6. Love that track. (Full Size)

Also, in case you cared, Pacific turn 9 and the bus stop just got fresh pavement. Now the concern isn't if there is grip, it is if the (lack of) runoff is a safety hazard now that we can carry more speed through there. Looking forward to track time on it. No days are really scheduled at Pacific this year though. Plenty at the Ridge.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It would be nice if the track here had a trackday organization for Inde Motorsports park. They have not had a track day the entire time i have been here. Its a really good track apparently. A lot of magazines go here to track test (for cars).

I know body position is horrible. Turn 15

·
Build, Go fast...Repeat!
16 Posts
From the bikes I've owned and whats came through the garage I think Yosi pipes have a good street advantage over others. They usually sound great and are not too loud especially with inserts and also put out some great power. I've had other pipes and after a while they sound like tin and need repacking. You can usually find a full system or get a set of 05 headers and a slip on for reasonably cheap and either have similar power and sound.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
I'd go with a full system over a mid+slip on any day of the week. While my experience with R6's is limited, I don't think an aftermarket slip on with a mid pipe is going to be quieter than a stock slip on. If anything, I'd think it would be louder just based on the length of the stock can vs the length of many slip ons. Aftermarket slip ons, just like the oem one, aren't designed to do all of the "muffler-ing", they rely on the stock muffler box to do that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guy.

Gonna order the full system next month.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
The M4 system is pretty good for ~$850 shipped.
Lighter than stock, not very loud, and you can buy an optional insert for tracks with strict db limits.

Next biggest bang is the Gen2 header or MJS setup (Leo Vince muffler)

I would put Yosh down about 10th on the list behind keeping a stock system. :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The M4 system is pretty good for ~$850 shipped.
Lighter than stock, not very loud, and you can buy an optional insert for tracks with strict db limits.

Next biggest bang is the Gen2 header or MJS setup (Leo Vince muffler)

I would put Yosh down about 10th on the list behind keeping a stock system. :D

Why would you put the yosh behind the stock setup? Whats so bad about it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats one hell of a sale.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wonder if there's any info on full systems or slip ons on this forum..
There's a lot of info here. I was asking for opinions on which of the exhaust I have listed to get, or maybe a recomendation. Unfortunately I have a limited amount of funds to work with, with about $750 being the max.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The curly q pipe.
Because it looks strange?

I does not hurt performance at all. Otherwise, why would Ducati be using radical bends on the new Panigale? Or Yamaha use it on their dirt bikes?

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Because it looks strange?

I does not hurt performance at all. Otherwise, why would Ducati be using radical bends on the new Panigale? Or Yamaha use it on their dirt bikes?
Thats a question for an OEM system designers as they have 3 things to consider... E P & A. :D

On the same dynos the Yosh system always made less hp and torque. Well unless you got a custom made system. :secret

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So less than stock? Do you have a dyno chart. Having a hard time believing that it makes less than stock. I know that it makes less than Graves, Leo, and Akro. But you also have to pay twice to three times the amount for 5-7 more hp.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts