Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll, wasn't 100% sure where to post this one so I figured it was ok here. Just wondering what everyone's preferred alarm system is for their bikes, any suggestions, anything be be aware of when purchasing? Thanks!:toocool:

·
I like bbq sauce on my R6
2,146 Posts
First bike and first alarm, but I got a scorpio. Expensive, but some good piece of mind. Essentially your best defense is full coverage.

I like the fact that my key chain will alarm should someone attempt to steal my bike in the middle of the night. Out comes my 12 guage. Problem solved...

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First bike and first alarm, but I got a scorpio. Expensive, but some good piece of mind. Essentially your best defense is full coverage.

I like the fact that my key chain will alarm should someone attempt to steal my bike in the middle of the night. Out comes my 12 guage. Problem solved...
Hmm I likes the sounds of that...

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a scorpio as well. I love it. It was pre-installed when I got the bike but as I understand it, scorpio offers wiring harnesses that make installation a breeze with no cutting/splicing. That's def a bonus. The features of the key fob are GREAT. When it alarms, the fob beeps and buzzes and tells you what KIND of alarm. Tilt versus shock, etc. It gets great range. Stated at 1/2 mile. I can arm/disarm/reset from my office while the bike is in a parking garage across the street. Another very cool thing about the Scorpio is the prox feature. Once set correctly, just someone creeping up on the bike will produce warning beeps. If they stay too long, or get too close, it will go into full alarm mode.

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts
I use the 12 gauge alarm system too. So far it's working.
:stupic and if the sawed off doesnt work.... out comes the AR15 M4

i wouldn't mind having an alarm just for ruuning errons arund town, or going to the movies, out to eat, ect..... over night or when i'm at home there a garage and home security system, plus LOTS of FIRE POWER seem to be working well right now!!!!!!!

i was looking into the gorila alarm systems, not quite as high tech as scorpio, but then again its why less $$$$ and offers great features and good security.

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So scorpio sounds like the way to go?
:confused:

·
2,146 Posts
There's other alarms out there. I think the they're all essentially the same, but what we like about the scorpio is the 2-way pager. Nobody pays attention to car/bike alarms. But if you're inside (at work, school etc.) and out of earshot of your alarm, you'll get alarmed via your keyfob. It's not horribly bulky, and the new ones come with a plug in charger. From what I understand the old ones ate threw batteries.

You can also get a proximity alarm for another 30 bucks that'll "help" keep nosy people and kids away. And I didn't get it but there's an ignition disable as well. So someone hot wires your bike and starts driving away you can disable it. It all helps...

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There's other alarms out there. I think the they're all essentially the same, but what we like about the scorpio is the 2-way pager. Nobody pays attention to car/bike alarms. But if you're inside (at work, school etc.) and out of earshot of your alarm, you'll get alarmed via your keyfob. It's not horribly bulky, and the new ones come with a plug in charger. From what I understand the old ones ate threw batteries.

You can also get a proximity alarm for another 30 bucks that'll "help" keep nosy people and kids away. And I didn't get it but there's an ignition disable as well. So someone hot wires your bike and starts driving away you can disable it. It all helps...
Awesome guys. Thanks for the help!:drink

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts
the gorilla 7017 is a 2 way paging system thats comparable to the scorpio sr-i500, seems like both have very similar features but the Gorilla is almost half that of Scorpio.

GORILLA 2-Way Paging Motorcycle Alarm System
http://www.gorilla-auto.com/motorcycle.alarms

i don't have any alarm so i am not saying that one is better than the other or that they are equal. just wanted to let you know about it. if i ever get an alarm it will prob be the gorilla 7017. ive herd a lot of positive feed back on the gorilla and the scorpo.

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the gorilla 7017 is a 2 way paging system thats comparable to the scorpio sr-i500, seems like both have very similar features but the Gorilla is almost half that of Scorpio.

GORILLA 2-Way Paging Motorcycle Alarm System
http://www.gorilla-auto.com/motorcycle.alarms

i don't have any alarm so i am not saying that one is better than the other or that they are equal. just wanted to let you know about it. if i ever get an alarm it will prob be the gorilla 7017. ive herd a lot of positive feed back on the gorilla and the scorpo.
Awesome input, thanks bro.:)

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I have the Gorilla 7017 alarm. Just installed it 2 days ago. So far I love it! After testing it out I know it works well & have some peace of mind now. And for only $180 it's great!

·
Batman wants my bike...
2,797 Posts
i learn so much from threads like these, ctrl+D!

·
Registered
320 Posts

·
2,146 Posts
I just got my scorpio from their website. It may be more expensive, but the install and system is sweet...

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
wheres everyone buying these? andrew and misterjj how bad was install? lots of cutting and splicing?

EDIT: for any one interested heres the gorilla on ebay for $136.95 with free shipping.. ill def be going ahead and ordering one of them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GORI...022QQitemZ350068693398QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Got mine off EBay. Super easy install, there is no splicing or cutting required. Just run the red wire to the +terminal of the battery and ground the black wire. Next find a location for the tilt sensor(I put mine in the battery tray) and siren (I put it in the "trunk"), then run the blue antenna wire as straight as possible along the frame of the bike. Next find a location for the red led indicator, that blinks when the alarm is on (I have it sticking out of a hole underneath the tail section). Thats it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Got mine off EBay. Super easy install, there is no splicing or cutting required. Just run the red wire to the +terminal of the battery and ground the black wire. Next find a location for the tilt sensor(I put mine in the battery tray) and siren (I put it in the "trunk"), then run the blue antenna wire as straight as possible along the frame of the bike. Next find a location for the red led indicator, that blinks when the alarm is on (I have it sticking out of a hole underneath the tail section). Thats it.
awsome.. ill def be ordering that asap.

·
2,146 Posts
Interesting the Scorpio runs to the signal lights as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts