Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up all. Someone tried to steal my friends' bike so now I'm looking to get an alarm for my bike. I was wondering which alarms the fellow members here had and how they liked them. One of my friends as a chatterbox alarm and another has a Thor alarm, though i've never heard of thor alarms. What alarms do you guys recommend and how much did you pay for them?

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have a Scorpio SR-i500 alarm. Here's a review I posted on another forum.

I got my Scorpio alarm last night via FedEx (aka White Santa). :D

I ordered the optional perimeter sensor and wiring harness for the R6. Everything came packaged cleanly and had good instructions. I had to remove both seats and the rear cowling. The wiring harness kit for the R6 actually contained two wiring harnesses. The instructions said to use whichever one fit. Basically the harness is plugged-in between the tail light and turn signals and their power source. That's where I ran into my first and only problem. One of the wiring harnesses was completely wrong for my bike and the other was only half right. The tail light connectors were of the correct type, but the turn signal connectors were not even close to the triangular shaped connectors used by Yamaha. I went ahead and used the harness to connect up the tail light and left the turn signals disconnected.

The rest of the installation was cake. The kit came with wire-ties and velcro. I had to run one wire to the battery's positive terminal (the negative connection is provided by the wiring harness I previously connected to the tail light assembly), velcro the main unit and the perimeter sensor down in the appropriate spots, and wire-tie everything down so it looks nice and pretty. That's it.

The perimeter alarm works great and has a sensitivity adjustment. The manual says it uses microwaves and it doesn't seem to be affected by sound, only motion. As you move closer to the bike, the alarm chirps. Move closer it chirps more, etc. until the alarm is triggered. You CAN fool it by moving VERY slowly or by moving some and the stopping a few seconds before moving again. The main alarm unit has a vibration and tilt sensor. The tilt sensor works excellent. Pick the bike up off the kickstand and the alarm immediately goes off, no matter how gentle you were. No warning chirps. The vibration sensor has adjustable sensitivity. With the factory settings you have to tap the handlebar pretty hard in order to set the alarm off.

Now the best part is the remote unit:

If the alarm is triggered, and you're within range (up to a half mile according to the Mfr) this little thing starts beeping and vibrating. It shows you a little icon representing how the alarm was set off (tilt, vibration, perimeter). The remote unit has a signal indicator, so you know if you're within range or not. It also will let you know if your bike's battery falls below 11.5 volts. There's a bunch of other little tricks this thing does. Allows you to program all sorts of parameters on the alarm. Sensitivities, alarm duration, alarm type... you can set the alarm up to be silent and page only. You can set the pager up to beep, vibrate, or both... all kinds of stuff.

All I have to say is I like it. Well worth the $300. If you want an alarm, get one of these.

http://www.scorpioalarms.com/sr-i500.aspx

·
My 6 makes me super horny
140 Posts
That's exactly what I want. But I hate how nobody pays attn. to alarms anymore. Yeah people will look your way. But then they just keep on walking. Deterence is it's biggest asset.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had the scorpio i500s for a week and removed it. I agree with what loki1313 said about its features, but I was very disappointed in how quiet the siren was when placed under the rear seat. That and the fact that the siren shut off after a few seconds. So i decided to go with the Viper 791xv, which is what i have on my car, it has 2-way remote, its compact and it has every option possible and more. It was also cheaper than the scorpio.

·
Registered
524 Posts
udh2oskier said:
I had the scorpio i500s for a week and removed it. I agree with what loki1313 said about its features, but I was very disappointed in how quiet the siren was when placed under the rear seat. That and the fact that the siren shut off after a few seconds.
The alarm duration is programmable.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The scorpio alarm looks the best and i think i might go with that one but damn....300 bucks? Has anyone had experience with the Thor alarms? Anyone else have the viper alarms?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I figured it could be adjusted, but I really wanted a louder one. I mounted the viper siren under the windshield between the headlights, can't even notice it. The scorpio alarm was great but I got a $500 viper alarm in stores for $195 after shipping on ebay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts