Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well long story short, Ive been riding for about 6 wks. Went out for a ride today since the weather is nice. After I conclude my ride and decide to go back home I come up to a light the goes into a sharp turn (45 degrees?). The light turns green and I slowly take off. Next thing I know I feel the rear tire slipping and I'm on my hands and knees looking at my bike :mad: in the middle of a small intersection. I was so pissed I get to my bike and snatch it up and pushed it to the curb. As im trying to get it started I look back at were I fell and see what looks like a large patch oil. I get the bike started and head home to inspect the damage.

Notes:
1. Havent been riding long
2. 45 degree turn with oil patch in center
3. Rear slips and bike goes down
4. Me pissed

Most of the damage.

All in all I guess it could of been worse,and I'm glad I had my gloves on!

·
Registered
192 Posts
3 words

GET

FRAME

SLIDERS.

that sucks man doesnt seem like its too banged up invest in some frame sliders because odds are it will happen again.

they look kinda dorky sometimes but they will protect your frame and your plastics to an extent. good that your alright stay safe!

·
Born 2 Ride YAMAHA
788 Posts
I don't mean to be a hater but thats why you don't buy a new bike when you don't have any experience. Just learn from YOUR mistake.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
That shit happens to a lot of people. I've been ridin for a long time and i dropped my 06 R6 after i only had it about a month. Went around a corner at night on a road i travel alot and there was a big pile of sand across it like a truck lost some of its load or something. I never saw it till i walked back to see WTF happened.

Could of been worse. Sucks to scratch a new bike i know but its really not that bad. Everything is fixable. Listen to everyone else and get some sliders though. Most of that damage could have been prevented with sliders.

Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I don't mean to be a hater but thats why you don't buy a new bike when you don't have any experience. Just learn from YOUR mistake.
The funny thing is, I had no intentions of getting a new bike. When I was looking for a bike I decided the I would take out a loan. That way I would'nt have tospend the majority of my money and be broke (in case something happend). When I went to see about a loan the told me I would have to have a co-signer because of my age. When I spoke to my mother about it she said she would'nt sign for anything used because I did'nt know what it had been though/happend to it. So thats how I ended up getting a new bike.

Second what pisses me of more the the damage to the bike are all the "I should of dones" basically my poor decision making. There were two turns I could have made before this one that are much easier.

On the fram sliders:
I was just about to order some race rails, but noticing the fact they take a long time to be deliverd I think I will order some sliders while I wait for them.

The gloves(both palms)

So it wasnt that bad, theres just alittle road rash on my knee and I do plan to keep riding.

·
Registered
316 Posts
frame sliders buddy....

i dropped my bike the 2nd i got it in my drive way. nothing major happened. thanks to the ugly stock blinkers which took the damage. i didnt have sliders then but i got them now. and will get a crash cage just for added protection

·
pat = god
3,303 Posts
x143656 on frame sliders. even my cheap ebay sliders protected plastic. bike fell over parked, pavement gave way. not once but twice, each side to boot.

·
Avid Enthusiast
7,408 Posts
I thought thats how you break them in so it doesn't happen in the future. I just let mine fall over the third day i had it, just kicked the kick stand out from underneath it. BAM problem solved.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I dropped my bike the same day I got it. I actually knew I may drop it so i decided to go out at night when my neighbors were sleeping. Started off in 2nd instead or 1rst. Slow motion controlled drop to the ground.

·
T-1 is my Hero
0 Posts
Well now you don't have to worry about scratching it. When I first got mine i was super paranoid of every little mark on it but after it got ran over in a parking lot I'm really not that concerned with small scratches anymore. The important thing is your fine and your bike still works.

·
Registered
140 Posts
that's part of the learning process. that's why i dropped my friend's bike before i bought mine! i'm definitely uncomfortable riding an immaculate bike. i wish mine would fall already.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I removed the fairings I noticed one of the bolt holes that attaches to the frame is busted. What should I do about this?

·
pop wheelies
1,615 Posts
Get an easy out. I don't see anything wrong with riding a bike, I bought my bike new last summer, and I have 12,5xx miles on it, and you can't find a scratch on yet. I did go down last year, and I hated having a scratched up bike, so mine gets buffed once a month or so.

·
Registered
34 Posts
some sand paper and some black spray paint will fix that case up nicly. low sided my bike 12 hours after i put sliders on it dont realy know wtf happened it just did. anyways when i got to my work i put the bike up on the lift pulled the lower off took some sand paper smoothed out the scuff as best i could got some black spray paint and it looks fine. only way you can tell is if you look close but other then that the slider did its job just ordered a new one. oh and i got a couple scratched on the swing arm. the black paint woks wonders.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts