Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys after almost 50k on the odo my 03 finally gave me problems and left me stranded on the side of the road.

This post is not about me needing help. I want to give you guys a bit of advice.

My front sprocket nut fell off.
I had it safety wired. It was even doubled up. Just in case. Well it still wasn't enough.
I safety wired it because last spring I found it was loose but the retaining washer was holding it on from backing off.
So I thought ok I'll prevent this problem by using safety wire.

The safety wire I used is from Harbor Freight. My advise is if you're using it you better go find something else and get all of it off your bike. Their site says it's for arts and crafts. WOW. No mention of it being used for holding bolts etc.

I bought a roll from Grainger made by malin. It's aircraft grade and is a little harder to snip. It's for sure better suited for safety wire.
http://m.grainger.com/mobile/product/MALIN-COMPANY-Lockwire-16Y049

Thankfully my output shaft isn't too fubar and a new nut threads on. I'm now using the retaining washer + loctite+ safety wire.
Anal?.. maybe. But if it comes off again it may ruin the shaft.

Make sure you guys periodically check it. Us 1st and 2nd gen guys the nut can come all the way off.

DO NOT RELY ON HARBOR FREIGHT SAFETY WIRE. Safety wire it is not. Your life could be in jeopardy. The good stuff is only a few $ more anyway. No reason to risk it.

Here's how I ran it and it still broke both of them.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7097/7007102617_02cf57ec00_b.jpg

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,256 Posts
You know that there is a recall on the nut, right? Yamaha changed the nut si the threaded portion is thicker. You should go to your dealer and see if you can get the nut and locking washer...free. If you already paid for it, make sure that it is the correct one. I doubt that Yamaha would stock the old one 8 years after the recall, but y' never know

·
Pobrecitos
19,910 Posts
You know that there is a recall on the nut, right? Yamaha changed the nut si the threaded portion is thicker. You should go to your dealer and see if you can get the nut and locking washer...free. If you already paid for it, make sure that it is the correct one. I doubt that Yamaha would stock the old one 8 years after the recall, but y' never know
Just 03?

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Hmm must be a 2nd gen thing. I read about that happening often with the 2nd gen. 3rd gen has a tab you bend into to output shaft.
Good thinking with the safety wire tho

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,256 Posts
The 03 had a locking tab washer. That wasn't the problem.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I forgot about the net recall. I'm not really worried about the cost. It was $8. I was never officially notified by yamaha so maybe it was just a service bulletin like the coils were

I didn't use the washer that time because I kept seeing everyone else leave it off and used wire instead.

I still have a hard time understanding how these come loose but the washer in my previous case kept it on the shaft. Loose enough to turn by hand after being torqued to specs and pulled hard enough to break arts and crafts wire(haha).

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,256 Posts
I think the recall came out in 2005, so only the 03-04 were affected...and maybe some 2005's. But as Blue indicated, it was actually a service bulletin. They never notified us, so it was up to the internet communities to get the word out. I still hear of folks who have this happen, and have to go after Yamaha to cover the damage, if any.

I know it was also a common issue on the 1st gens, as well. A member, here (VarnaR6) used to carry a spare nut and sprocket in his tail piece because he had it come off more than once!

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,256 Posts
I just found the service bulletin, and it covered 1999-2005 models. (attached)

Attachments

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for that 8 ball. I'm going to show it to the guys at the dealer " a fellow r6 rider" and see what he can do. I might press for a new shaft if I can. If they fix it I'm thinking about putting it up for sale. Been wanting a new one anyway. And I wouldn't trust the engine after it's been disassembled and not rebuilt.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
ok so this new nut is exactly the same as my old one. I really don't think I ever had it changed.
weird. if it's not the same the differences are too small to see. I can't measure it because my micrometer is at work. calipers will not get into the recess area to measure it.

I also notice in that service bulletin Yamaha says to use loctite 620. That's not thread lock. It's retaining compound. And pretty expensive. Grainger by my work wants $40 for a bottle. Yikes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts