Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yep... I ALMOST lowsided the other day.

Let this be a lesson to all of you guys. I hope I can help you all out.

Story Goes...
I leave for work at about 515AM the other day. Get out of my neighborhood and turn onto this little "shortcut/fun" road on the way to work. Going about 50 down the road, and come up on my next right turn, so I downshift into second and get onto the brakes, let off the brakes and start to lean it. (Imagine a T inter section, there is a pickup opposite direction to me, and a car at the stopsign perpendicular to the road I am turning OFF of, another car 100 yards down the road approaching the stopsign)
SLIP!!! the front tire STARTS to go out on me mid turn. So without even thinking about it, I kept my head up and jammed my wheel the way I was sliding, Pinned the throttle for a half a second and looked across the road into *and through*the opposing traffic's lane (behind the stopped car, but IN FRONT of the approching car) The bike stood RIGHT UP, and bucked a little back to the left. Went RIGHT between the two cars and into a little dirt spot on the opposite side of the road, kept it rolling throught the dirt, got BACK onto the road, (now driving the wrong direction in the OTHER lane) and the car approaching the stop sign just kept on going, the car opposing me (before I turned) passes by in the OTHER lane (headed the same direction as me) and I just keep rollin on down the road get back into the correct lane, and continue on to work.
I get to work and I have decided (my mind is SET) that I screwed up, I was on cold tires, the road was cold, (50 degrees that night) and I "over broke" going into that corner, It was all my fault.
So, I head home that after noon (the same way I came to work) to investigate my little Slipping incident. Get back to the corner where I ran into the dirt, and pull off and park the bike. (There was NO traffic at this time) I get off the bike and go walk out into the T intersection. Spot my tire slip mark (about 4 feet long) and notice a little bit of sand (not much) and A FORK! an eating utensil a metal FORK! as well as a Scratch in the pavement, where the fork had been slid across it.
I slipped on a frigging FORK! and I almost lowsided because of a FORK. Here I spent ALL DAY thinking I was an idiot for "over braking" into a corner, and that it was my own faulf that I slid out a little, and It was a FORK that caused the whole thing.

Well, I am okay, and so is my bike. As for the fork, I don't think it will be getting used again because I picked it up and Disposed of it properly.

Lesson for the day. If you come upon a fork in the road, don't try to run it over while turning. It may cause you to slip.

Ride Safe out there, and stay away from forks!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Glad you made it out man. And the bike too! I will be on the lookout for forks in the road. Just be glad it wasn't a spork, you'd be down for sure. :D

·
2007 R6
1,019 Posts
CURRRRRSEEEE YOOOOOOOUUUUUUUU......fork.:)

·
Registered
71 Posts
yes def glad to hear you are okay, my buddy just a couple of weeks ago went down in a corner going 50-60 after hitting a small chunk of mudflap in the road, def not a fork but another crappy reason to make people worry when taking corners

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad you made it out man. And the bike too! I will be on the lookout for forks in the road. Just be glad it wasn't a spork, you'd be down for sure. :D
Thanks man.... and yeah... those Sporks are CRAZY tough

CURRRRRSEEEE YOOOOOOOUUUUUUUU......fork.:)
You weren't the one that ran it over too. It freekin scared the poop outta me.

yes def glad to hear you are okay, my buddy just a couple of weeks ago went down in a corner going 50-60 after hitting a small chunk of mudflap in the road, def not a fork but another crappy reason to make people worry when taking corners
Thanks man, sorry to hear about your bud, hope he and the bike are doin alright. The roads are a fun but crazy place to ride huh?

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sucks bro. Some moron in a car probably threw it carelessly into the road.
Yeah man, you know it.

I said that I disposed of it properly earlier... I put it into the trash bag in the garage (has oily papertowels and junk in it) I think I may just take it out of there and frame it, then hang it on the wall as a simple reminder to take it easy while riding the streets so that I don't get "forked" over again.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Man, that's crazy... I'll keep my eyes open for utensils in the road from now on...

once I was coming down a steep hill on my old 250 (I use both front and rear brakes to stop) and at the bottom of this hill, the light was red, and as I went to stop my rear wheel started going sideways, sideways, sideways... I was past a 45 degree angle from where I started and I didn't just want to let off the rear brake because it would've upset my balance so badly at this point... My back wheel had stopped and locked right on top of a huge rock and just slid about 5 feet down the hill with me.

But if it was my front, I would have fallen for sure; and if it was a fork, I just might have given up riding for good. I mean, who throws a damn fork out of their car? Glad you didn't fall :cheers

·
Registered
458 Posts
crazy..worked out alright tho

·
To the Bat Cave!
4,113 Posts
You weren't the one that ran it over too. It freekin scared the poop outta me.
Someone's been doing a lot of that lately...:sing

Does a truck ring a bell?

The only advice I can give man is this: the next time you come across a fork in the road, decide beforehand if you want to go left...or right.

Glad you're okay man. Seriously. :hug

1 - 13 of 13 Posts