Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Product Link: Here
Price: $159
Color: Black - but for some reason it looks blue in the picture.

I really held off on buying this and I mulled it over for a couple months because it was really expensive. If you look at the price you can pick up some really good clearance jackets for that or cheaper which will provide a lot more protection. I wish I hadn't waited however, as I've really come to love this jacket.

The Northshore is a "technical fleece". Not sure what that means specifically, but its basically a 3-layer fleece burrito. The outside feels a lot like a neoprene, then there's a layer which contains a waterproof windbreaker and then an internal fleece layer. This is all one piece, so there's no zip outs or anything like that aside from the hood which can come off. Its also not very thick and its light weight, really not any heavier than your typical hoodie.

There's not a lot of protection built into the jacket - no back protector at all, removable soft PE armor in the sleeves as well as the shoulders. A* says you can put in their bio-armor but I don't have any to test that out with, or have anyone I've found locally who sells it. But, I think the overall idea was something is better than nothing and if you want to beef it up later you can. No, I haven't and don't plan on crash testing it.

So, how is it? Comfy. I wish there was a better way to explain this jacket, but its really, really comfortable. I've been wearing it around a lot even when I'm not riding because its just that nice to wear. I don't get any weird looks either when I do have it on since it doesn't scream motorcycle jacket. There's a smallish A* logo on the left sleeve and that's about it. Very muted for a motorcycle jacket.

Wearing the jacket around (off the bike) is a bit odd - simply because you would expect with a triple layered fleece you should be really warm, but that isn't the case. On a semi-cool day (mid 50s-low 60s) I could feel a bit of a chill in the air almost like I wasn't really wearing a jacket but just a long sleeve shirt. On hotter days though, you're going to sweat like a pig. I wore it into a Home Depot after a ride on a near 80 degree day and ended up having to take it off because I was melting in the shop.

More importantly - On the bike - the Northshore is excellent. On the near 80 degree day I was comfortable. It wasn't as pleasant as my mesh jacket but I wasn't miserable either. The airflow on the highway at 85 MPH was decent, and it remained that way all the way down to normal street speeds. I did have the collar opened up so I was getting more airflow than you would if it was zipped to the top. Obviously stop and go traffic got a bit toasty/drippy - in other words I don't think this will replace my mesh jacket in the summer.

Since the weather is changing the big question for me was cooler weather. I hopped on the bike the other morning at 6am and it was around 42 degrees. With the collar zipped there's almost no gap between the jacket and my helmet so there's little to no airflow from the neck area. 30 MPH and under was great, no cold at all. Highway again at about 80 MPH was impressive. I expected to feel a lot more than I did. My arms were fine - no chill, my chest I could feel a trickle of cool around the zipper. The part I could feel the most air movement was around my lower back but only if I tried to tuck in behind the windscreen because the pull cord that keeps it tight around your waist would slip up over my belt. So in summary I was fine (definitely not cold) wearing only the Northshore and a typical long sleeve shirt on a low 40's morning ride at highway speed.

Sizing - I'm 5' 10" 170lbs. I like my clothes loose. I went with the XXL just because I intended to wear the jacket around a lot off the bike, but the XL was a near perfect fit. I tried each one on in the store about 20 times before finally picking the XXL simply for the little bit of extra room.

Overall - I really don't have anything bad to say about the Northshore. I wish the internal pockets were zippered, I'm not a huge fan of the micro zippers on the outer pockets, but other than that, if you're looking for a quick around the town jacket that you can feel just as comfortable wearing on the road as you will wearing it out to dinner at Chilli's - definitely take a look at this one. Love it.

There's a decent video from Revzilla: Here

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where u get it lookd good
I checked all over the web but couldn't find it cheaper than local, so I bought it at a shop in Denver called Performance Cycle. I could have got it from a ton of places, but I figured since it was no cheaper I might as well try it on and make sure I got the size I wanted.

Since its a 2010 item nobody has them on clearance or closeout. I've seen a couple smaller sizes go on ebay used for pretty cheap - but all the new ones are still $159.

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Sure your not from Aurora? 5' 10" 170lbs and your wearing XXL? I'm 5' 9" 163lbs and I wear a Medium 75% of the time and a large the rest. I'm just picturing some Aurora thug wannabe with his pants hanging below his ass and a hoodie 3 sizes too big. Lol. I'm just messing with you and I grew up in Aurora so I can crack on those little hoodlums all I want. Thanks for the review. Sounds nice but I probably wouldn't pay more than $80 for something like this.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure your not from Aurora? 5' 10" 170lbs and your wearing XXL? I'm 5' 9" 163lbs and I wear a Medium 75% of the time and a large the rest. I'm just picturing some Aurora thug wannabe with his pants hanging below his ass and a hoodie 3 sizes too big. Lol. I'm just messing with you and I grew up in Aurora so I can crack on those little hoodlums all I want. Thanks for the review. Sounds nice but I probably wouldn't pay more than $80 for something like this.
Nope ... grew up on the westside, my pants stay up with a belt around my waist and I'm a firm believer in Dennis Leary's statement "Underwear goes inside the pants... that's why its called under-****in-wear!"

Truth be told though - while I never had pants around my ankles, I tended to wear things a size larger then I needed to way back when and I've just never gotten out of that. I prefer loose and baggy to so cowboy tight so you can see my baggage :)

If you get a chance to roll down to Performance, give the Medium a try. I bet you'll be surprised at how small it is. And I agree on the price - I wasn't a fan of the cost either, but I came into some extra cash that was burning a whole in my pocket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts