Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Nothing Special
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a possible alternative to other methods of lifting your sportbike in the shop.

It's a "SHOP CRANE" sold at Harbor Freight. The lower legs (the long ones along the bike) fold up by removing a pin. The folded up footprint of the lift is about 2"x2" roughly, and it easily rolls around while folded. All steel castering wheels with bearings ... and per usual "some assembly required" ... heheh.

Obviously one could design and make any type of lifting gear required to deal with your own bike. A load leveler may even be employed, as well as easily made custom chains, straps, hooks, and so on.

A safety stop or block is easily made from any number of materials. Something that would fit on the hydraulic cylinder's shaft so that the lift cannot accidently collapse.

I used it in these pics to lift the ass end up to facilitate rear shock removal. It worked just great. I've also used it to move my lathe (750 pounds+) and my mill (800 pounds +). Most of the time it sits quietly all neatly folded up right in the location you see it in these pics. When folded it takes up so little shop space I just leave it there. When needed it creates an instant bike stall. The boom can easily be extended, I am guessing but it may be able to reach all the way to the handlebars with the bike backed in like it is, allowing the front end to be worked on, perhaps while the rear end is supported by a custom set of blocks or bars that would span across the lift's legs. Er something like that.

I bought a repair kit for the hydraulic ram just to keep on hand. I keep that kit stored in a file cab inside the house.

So yea .... there it is. :)

It works for bikes, it works for shop machines, and I'd imagine it would work for many many other things as well. I've had this one for about four years and it's paid for itself ten times over by now.

:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
what do you have the hook on either end of the strap "hooked" to? are you worried about chipping paint or damaging plastics if you have them on?

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
I have one of those. Got a bike hanging from it actually. Is very handy for dropping forks/rear shocks.
Those knock off Bursig stands have gotten so damn cheap now.
<$300 shipped. Those things are a dream for ease of use/storage

·
Nothing Special
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what do you have the hook on either end of the strap "hooked" to? are you worried about chipping paint or damaging plastics if you have them on?
In the picture the strap used (from the hoist's chain hook to the bike) has plastic coated hooks. The hooks are hanging on to the under-edge of the rear subframe.

Any form of protection can be used, such as a few feet of old garden hose slid over chains or cables or even straps to protect things. Use wood to space the chains away from the bike when lifting (place a short length of let's say a 2x4 between the chain and the bike to keep it away from the bike). Short lengths of steel that space the chains apart would also work (a 2 foot long piece of lightweight tubing or angle steel used to space the chains apart the required distance to keep them away from the bike). On and on .....

This is just like any other large general lifting device, you'll need to fabricate "tooling" to suit your own needs best. Think of things such as (perhaps) a bar slid through the frame at some appropriate point of balance where two chains may be connected to it's ends via bolts/washers. Or a strap made from perhaps a tow strap to wrap around the bars, triples, frame holes, or a cable inside of a garden hose, or ????

Other bars or perhaps planks may be fitted for use beneath the bike in some fashion, the legs of the hoist acting as supports for those pieces.

Lift the rear end to whatever height, place a chain/strap/everwhat over the fulcrum end of the boom back down to the rear end of the bike so that it will remain up in the air when you lower the hoist. Lower the hoist, move it to the front of the bike, lift. Now the entire motorcycle is in the air at whatever tilted attitude you require.

A person with a decent MIG machine could fab up a receiver hitch mounted adaptation of this lift. Imagine eliminating the entire lower rolling frame replacing it with a horizontal square "plug" that would fit inside of a pickup truck's receiver hitch socket. That way this thing could be taken to races or track days and then plugged in to the trailer hitch receiver socket of a pickup truck and provide you with more comprehensive lifting gear if needed.

These are a just a few rocks thrown in the air to see what I think of when those rocks hit me on the noggin when they come down. Point being this lift is quite capable and with some imagination (and perhaps access to welding equipment for more sophisticated constructs) it can be made super useful and super flexible.

Like I said, it's just such a basic design that it can be adapted to many uses. I suppose it's not for everyone.

·
Nothing Special
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have one of those. Got a bike hanging from it actually. Is very handy for dropping forks/rear shocks.
That's nice! :) It seems as though it's made well enough, too. I can't tell if it's just my eyes or if in fact that lift's legs don't fold, is that correct?

In any case it looks more suited for most bikers. :)

Here's what the one I use looks like all folded up ....

Harbor Freight lists these at $180 right now. I know that these have gone for as little as $99 when the Moon is in the right phase or everwhat.

·
Love my bike
1,398 Posts
Where do I find this for $300 shipped? Thanks

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
That's nice! :) It seems as though it's made well enough, too. I can't tell if it's just my eyes or if in fact that lift's legs don't fold, is that correct?

In any case it looks more suited for most bikers. :)

mine slides under my tool box so its not really in the way. When the bike is parked on it...I can wheel it into whatever corner I want or out of the way.
If I could only have 1 stand... that would be it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts