·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just dropped my bike off to get some work done

00 r6

inspection
oil change
new tires in the front and back (diablo rosso)
rear rotor
rear pads
520 kit -1/+1

all this is gonna be about 730+tax am i paying way too much. is there any of this i could've/ should've done on my own? he said he is saving me the labor on the rotor and pads since they will have the tire off anyway

someone mentioned to me that i should stick with the 530 chain, why would i or would'nt i want to do that?

and originally he wasn't going to do the +1 in the back, he was going to leave it stock because he said i would start to lose rideablility on the express ways . is that right, could/should i have still gone with the +2 in the back

and will i need to get the spedohealer for the -1/+1, and would i have needed it for the -1 and thats it. he only went for the +1 because teh +2 was back ordered from multiple suppliers

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Not sure what the inspection entails...so besides that here is what I would expect to pay:

Oil change: $12 for the filter, 15-30 for the oil, 1/2 hour labor
Front tire: 120
Rear Tire: 180
if you bring the bike in, most places charge around 35 per tire to mount/balance, so 70 total
Rear rotor: used, about 30 bucks, new, around 100
pads are anywhere from 25-50 bucks depending on which ones you get
520 kit depends on what chain and sprockets, but can range from 100 bucks to 250 bucks.

Take the averages and you're at around 600 just in parts. add in labor and you're right around 700-750.

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,936 Posts
someone mentioned to me that i should stick with the 530 chain, why would i or would'nt i want to do that?

and originally he wasn't going to do the +1 in the back, he was going to leave it stock because he said i would start to lose rideablility on the express ways . is that right, could/should i have still gone with the +2 in the back

and will i need to get the spedohealer for the -1/+1, and would i have needed it for the -1 and thats it. he only went for the +1 because teh +2 was back ordered from multiple suppliers
Okay Sticking with the 530 Chain. That is Ill advice. You don't need to stick with that size of a chain, because the tensile stregnth of a 520 chain compared to a 530 is nearly the same. So that is not a factor. If you buy a 530 over a 520, they are more expensive. As they should be. There is more material used to make 530 than a 520. Also ... Trying to find a 530 chain is not as easy as finding and buying a 520 chain.

Now, as for your question about the changing sprockets. I would say. Find yourself a good 520 conversion kit. MOST people go with a -1 in the front and +2 in the rear. The TOOL who told you that you will lose ride-ability on the express way, has obviously not ever done a sprocket change, OR doesn't ride a sport bike. This person doesn't have the slightest clue of what changing the sprockets does to a bike.
Will changing the sprockets effect the gas milage, yes. will it make your bike less Rideable on the free way NO.
Let me put it this way. A stock 600 cc sport bike will do about 165 MPH. If you step down 1 in the front and up 2 in the rear. You will lose about 7 MPH and a little bit of your good gas milage. If you step down 1 in the front and up 4 in the back (like I have) you will lose about 9 more MPH and some more good gas milage. Now. My bike TOPS OUT at ABOUT 138/140 MPH. Is it any LESS RIDABLE on the highway. NO freekin way. it'll still keep up with traffic, and it is actually WAY QUICKER getting up to speed.

On to the speedo healer. I am a HUGE supporter of the speedo healer. I actually think that people with STOCK gearing should put one on their bikes. Not only does it correct your speedo (that's a GREAT thing and all) but it also keeps your Odometer closer to real. Every bike thats right EVERY BIKE comes from the factory with the speedo/odometer being off by about 5-7 %. EVERY BIKE. So putting a speedo healer on a regeared bike is one of the best things that you can do for yourself. When I regeard my bike THE FIRST TIME to a -1 +2 kit. it was off by 16 % When I regeared to the -1 +4 kit it was off by about 24 % So, should you get one. Yes, I think so .

And if he (the guy working on your bike) told you that the -1+2 kit was on back order, you need to kick that guy in the nuts. If you want some good quality products that are reliable and you won't have to wait for (and have the DIS satisfaction of a -1+1 kit that you didnt want in the first place) Hit me up I'll hook you up with a couple places to get your stuff from and you won't have to wait long for it.

If you have any other questions fire away brother

·
Registered
40 Posts
as far as the sprockets go it all depends on what kind of riding your doing... if your just riding on the express ways you will lose a some top end wich in turn your losing a little gas mileage but thats about it, with a -1 +1 setup you will have plenty of acceleration now. i would advise a speedohealer as soon as you can get your hands on one. for a while i didnt have one with a -1+2 setup and for every mile i rode my odometer was putting 1.2 miles on it so over time it can throw it off pretty far. i think i have about 5k additional miles on my odometer from it. it doesnt hurt anything but resale value and throws your speedometer off, but i would def. recommend one

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,936 Posts
Okay ... sorry to belittle the person working on your bike man... I was just a little heated that someone would say that kind of stuff to you.

If they REALLY wanted to hook you up with good customer service, they would have found you a -1+2 kit/setup with out giving in so easially. That person is just looking to take the EASY way out, and still make money off of you.

·
Registered
96 Posts
why dont u do -1/+2 buy some vortex sprockets, it'll make accel better and quicker. that's what i ride on doenst have to be vortex, but -1/+2 is good i think

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,936 Posts
Just another Kranium's up. You DONT have to buy a "KIT" to get a -1+2 setup. Sometimes it's actually cheaper to buy all the parts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well i would say do as much work to your bike as you can.. cause the stealerships are going to rape you no matter what.You could have done all this work yourself with the right tools and saved your self about $300.oo.I just did my back brakes (pad and fluid) front brakes (pad and fluid)flushed the cooling system(swapped out to E.I.)changed the plugs and changed oil and filter and replaced my air filter..I saved over $5oo.oo doing the work myself.Next i plan to replace the chain and both sprockets and valve adjustment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i'd love to do all the work on the bike by myself. my boss at work is always willing to help out, but it is super busy at work right now, so there would be no time to work on it for a few more weeks. not to mention everyone keeps saying with the right tools. i don't wanna fork out a ton of money for new tools or tools i will just use once or twice. i just have the basics.

i have a hindle slip on exhaust, i wanna go with a full exhaust. But that is so expensive on it's own without labor. would i need a bunch of new tools for that? is it rediculously hard?

·
Registered
218 Posts
the exhaust wont be hard at all

1 - 16 of 16 Posts