Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ive been wanting to get an r6 for a long time. Ive had one dirt bike (yz125) and only ridden on dirt not really in the street. I reserved a used klx250sf supermoto to buy but lots of people are telling me its going to be way too slow so I was thinking about just waiting another few months and getting a 2004 r6. My friend started on an r6 and has been riding a few years with no problems and my other friends have 600cc sport bikes. Would riding on dirt for 2 years be enough experience to start with an r6 as a first road bike? If I end up getting the klx im going to lose about 2k when I go to trade it in in a year or 2. Should I spend that extra 2k for the year of extra road practice on the klx250? Or do you think ill be ok going straight to the r6 and saving my money? thanks

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
You should be fine as long as you use your head and dont try to ride above your skillset. Fcuking up on a dirt bike will put you in a cast. Doing so on a streetbike can put you in a casket. As long as you think before you act, you'll be okay. My little wife started on an cbr600 f4i and she does just fine. And I would suggest an 06 or newer, they are a MUCH better bike and there are a lot more of them out there so parts are easy to find. And you can grow a lot with that bike.

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
dont try to show off, stay within your riding ability and dont try and keep up with other riders..these are the biggest mistakes i see new riders make, take your time and learn your bike..if you can save up get the proper gear and do a track day..you dont need to race or be competitive but youll learn a lot about your bike..if youre not going to do this go to an empty parking lot and practice emergency braking, you will have an o shit moment that will require you to grab a handful of brakes

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
Honestly, if you want the R6, just go for it and pull the trigger. If you don't plan on taking it to the track, i would suggest a 2003-2005 r6, or 2006-2009 R6S(Same thing as the 03/04 R6). I tried riding both, and it felt like the 03 had a lot more low end grunt than the third gen model(it was an 09) while being more ergonomic, but the third gen certainly felt more zippy higher in the rev range than the second gen. I felt more confident on the second gen, but that is probably because I had logged 3 years of riding on it and had never been on a third gen up until that day. The third gen is a better bike if you are planning on a lot of trackdays, though. Either one is going to be a hell of a lot faster than you should be going on the streets.

Like redisdead said, the 3rd gens have been produced for a lot more years, and the parts are easier to find if you need to get your hands on them. That said, I have never had an issue finding parts for my 03(which would be the exact same as the 04).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts