Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i down graded from an r1 to an r6 i am not sure if i need to upgrade to 190s or stay with the 180s i am using all of the rear tire every last bit of it. any thoughts for any one?

·
"Old Slow Guy"
40 Posts
Going to the 190 would most likely slow the handling down a little bit, making it a tiny bit slower to respond to rider input (less flickability) which the 600's are known for.

·
Registered
199 Posts
A 190 is going to give you a larger contact patch (for driving out of a corner) but not going to really give you more lean angle. If you are consistently using your entire rear tire on the street you either need to slow down or your body position needs work.

·
Get Some..!
288 Posts
A 190 is going to give you a larger contact patch (for driving out of a corner) but not going to really give you more lean angle. If you are consistently using your entire rear tire on the street you either need to slow down or your body position needs work.
:werd

OP, different tire companies have different profiles. Not all are created equal when it comes to lean angle vs tire used. I currently run Q2's and can only get within a couple of mm at the track and up to an inch on the street, where as my last couple of bt016's, I had no chicken strips left on the street. Both 180/55/17. What tires are you running?

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Are you spinning up the rear on the regular, on the edge of the tire? If not, you're probably fine. Lack of chicken strips doesn't mean you're out of lean angle, it just means you're doing a good job of getting on the gas at the right time in the corner.

If you are spinning it up a lot, another option is to go to a 180/60.

Personally, if I were spinning up the tire at lean angle on the street, my solution would be to slow the fcuk down. :laugh

·
Registered
211 Posts
I switched to 190/55 q3s and love it. I didn't notice any difference from the 180 in handling but i definitely feel a lot more confident on the 190. I don't really ride on the street to much but I do think you should switch to 190 and go to the track. I'm trying out new gp211s at the track this weekend that are 190/60. The rear barely fits in the swingarm.

Others on here will be a super dicks for riding like a dick on the streets which I agree with but I'm not going to bash you for it. You're a big boy you understand the consequences just try not hurt anyone else when you down.

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,925 Posts
Sounds to me like you don't need a wider tire... it's just that your body position is not proper for the speed and location of your riding.

2 things I would suggest.

1. Bring your body MORE to the INSIDE of your bike by sliding your butt 1/2 off the inside of seat and keeping your inside knee against your fairing (I suggest NOT hanging off like a GP racer on the street) to let the bike stand up a little more and not run yourself to the edge of the tire quite so much. If you hang off the bike and dangle your knee (in the states) you're BEGGING for a cop to pull you over.

2. Get yourself the proper gear (if you don't have it already) and pay for/participate in a couple trackdays. You will NOT regret it. I'm sure you're not far from NJMP.

Riding on the track, you will learn 10 times more about your bike and your riding style in 1/10th of the time. There's no speeding tickets, no cars to look out for, no wild animals, and no debris to CONSTANTLY worry about. After being on the track a couple times, you'll ride much more efficiently, and more than likely you'll slow down a bit on the streets too.

·
Get Some..!
288 Posts
Riding on the track, you will learn 10 times more about your bike and your riding style in 1/10th of the time. There's no speeding tickets, no cars to look out for, no wild animals, and no debris to CONSTANTLY worry about. After being on the track a couple times, you'll ride much more efficiently, and more than likely you'll slow down a bit on the streets too.
:werd Worked for me.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Sounds to me like you don't need a wider tire... it's just that your body position is not proper for the speed and location of your riding.

2. Get yourself the proper gear (if you don't have it already) and pay for/participate in a couple trackdays. You will NOT regret it. I'm sure you're not far from NJMP.

Read this about 100 times over, and let it sink it...he speaks the truth.

·
Yeah Science!
7,338 Posts
Summit Point has wild animals..........

·
Bridgestone my new friend
435 Posts
Summit Point has wild animals..........
Grattan has turtles Nelsons ledges has woodchucks and Deer. I have been at Barber when they red flagged a session because of a goose at museum corner.

I thought someone lost a knee puck when the debris flag went out at Grattan LOL.

Anyways for the street I would stick with a 180 you don't need anything more. Plenty of grip for the street and a lot cheaper and lighter than a 190/55. Also don't buy a race tire for the street. You will never get it up to temp and they don't grip well when cold. Just My opinion

1 - 17 of 17 Posts