Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can AMSOIL's Engine & Transmission Flush be run on our bikes?

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/flsh.aspx

Previous owner of my bike ran Royal Purple, I think the moly in it is making my clutch slip when I'm in 6th gear and going 50-60 mph and then turn the throttle, the RPMs shoot up to 10,000 rpm but the bike only mildly accelerates up to 65. Seems too many RPMs for not going past 70 mph..

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why dont you fix the clutch properly and not try to pour your troubles away?
you realize clutches wear... right?
I'm at around 3,700 miles, I just purchased the bike so it could be worn but seems rather soon to me.

And I reiterate, I heard that motor oils or oils with moly in them cause the clutch to slip, however no one ever clarified the difference between this sort of slip and a worn clutch slipping.

The bike runs fine in every other RPM and gear, only notice this problem in 6th gear at said mph/rpm.

Seems to me the quickest and easiest change/first step is to first flush out the old oil. It's already had an oil change done when I took the bike in to the dealer for a tune up. If nothing else, ignore the slipping problem because I still want to flush out the old fluid completely when I put Amsoil in.

If this fails I'll work on replacing the clutch, regardless this is still something I'm curious to whether or not it can be run in a bike.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Ive worn clutches out in under 200 miles.
The problem with oil making clutches slip is somewhat of a myth.
All factory clutches are setup with "soft" spring pressure. Increase the spring pressure and the slipping goes away.

Whether amsoil or schamsoil... a flush can be accomplished with kerosene for about $3/gallon.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Ive worn clutches out in under 200 miles.
The problem with oil making clutches slip is somewhat of a myth.
All factory clutches are setup with "soft" spring pressure. Increase the spring pressure and the slipping goes away.

Whether amsoil or schamsoil... a flush can be accomplished with kerosene for about $3/gallon.
Improper information that could cause engine damage.

If you wore clutches out at 200 miles, it sounds more like the clutch was not adjusted properly, an improper oil was used or rider error.

Can AMSOIL's Engine & Transmission Flush be run on our bikes?

Previous owner of my bike ran Royal Purple, I think the moly in it is making my clutch slip when I'm in 6th gear and going 50-60 mph and then turn the throttle, the RPMs shoot up to 10,000 rpm but the bike only mildly accelerates up to 65. Seems too many RPMs for not going past 70 mph..
The New Flush may be used in a motorcycle and is safe for the clutch material.

I would suggest using an inexpensive petroleum oil with the proper API/JASO Ratings to run 2 oil only flushes to make sure you get as much flush as possible out of the engine as it holds over a half qt that you cannot drain.

The clutch may be damaged too far but, if it can be salvaged, this is what I would try first.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
877 Posts
Also, it is no Myth for an improper oil making the clutches slip. Which is why if you look in your owners manual, it will give you the proper Minimum specifications for oil.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.