Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

We have been getting a lot of emails regarding the new RL Quickshfter, here are answers to some of the more common questions:

* 100% Digital Operation - No moving parts or mechanical switches to fail, ever.

* Lifetime Warranty against design malfunction or defect

* STAND ALONE design - No interface issues, no added hassles, never a mis-communication - everything in the RL is self contained operation

* HM's Strain Gauge sensor - Same technology used by MotoGP and World Superbike - nothing is better, period.

* HM's Intelligent Ignition Controller - the "heart" of the design, and what makes every other product pale in comparison

* HM's Digital Signal Processor - complex algorithms compensate hundreds of times per second to manage the strain gauge signals for flawless operation

* UP or DOWN shift pattern operation - the RL operates in either direction; can be changed anytime and as often as you want.

These are just some of the features of the RL Quickshifter to get everyone started. Please let us know if you have any questions, happy to assist and get them sorted for you.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is not "new" vs. "old", or "re-branded". There are now 2 Quickshifters:

The HM PLUS kit, which is the best shifter in the World, period. Sells for $559.95, we think you all know about this product already as it has been around for quite some time.

The other choice is the ALL NEW, just released Annitori RL Quickshifter, made for us by HM. It has all the features we believe you want from the PLUS, without the “extra” frills that we felt were not needed to most riders; in particular no LCD screen and less adjustability.

What is VERY different is that the Annitori RL sells for $279.95.

On older bikes, or “unusual” bikes, the PLUS is more capable as it can adjust further to accommodate a wider range of situations.

The RL is focused solely on the current and modern sportbikes.

Which is better?

In the end, on a modern sportbike they are virtually the same in terms of operation. Why? Because that is exactly how we designed the RL.

How about if we put this in car terms? The HM PLUS is the Ferarri Enzo, the Annitori RL is a Porsche Turbo. There is nothing that compares with an Enzo, but then again we don't know anybody who would complain about a Porsche Turbo... :)

Does this help?

Let us know if we have confused the matter for you, happy to assist you with any questions you might have. Both the RL and the PLUS are the best shifters in the world, and we represent both, so it is just a question of which version works for you.

·
Parts Pimp
26,473 Posts
It is not "new" vs. "old", or "re-branded". There are now 2 Quickshifters:

The HM PLUS kit, which is the best shifter in the World, period. Sells for $559.95, we think you all know about this product already as it has been around for quite some time.

The other choice is the ALL NEW, just released Annitori RL Quickshifter, made for us by HM. It has all the features we believe you want from the PLUS, without the “extra” frills that we felt were not needed to most riders; in particular no LCD screen and less adjustability.

What is VERY different is that the Annitori RL sells for $279.95.

On older bikes, or “unusual” bikes, the PLUS is more capable as it can adjust further to accommodate a wider range of situations.

The RL is focused solely on the current and modern sportbikes.

Which is better?

In the end, on a modern sportbike they are virtually the same in terms of operation. Why? Because that is exactly how we designed the RL.

How about if we put this in car terms? The HM PLUS is the Ferarri Enzo, the Annitori RL is a Porsche Turbo. There is nothing that compares with an Enzo, but then again we don't know anybody who would complain about a Porsche Turbo... :)

Does this help?

Let us know if we have confused the matter for you, happy to assist you with any questions you might have. Both the RL and the PLUS are the best shifters in the world, and we represent both, so it is just a question of which version works for you.
Yes, that is a HUGE help. I completely understand now. What is the Annitori unit set to out of the box then? Since there is no adjustability, what is it set at?

I think this is AWESOME!! I picked up the HM plus a few weeks ago, but after installing properly, didn't need to change the settings it came with out of the box. 60% sensitivity, 60 ms kill time..

Is the annitori unit 100% standalone like the HM plus unit?

·
Is this a segment?
17,688 Posts
Yeah if this thing is effectively the same as HM (as you described, in a nutshell) this is a SMOKING deal. Doubtful you'll get a better QS for your money.

·
Parts Pimp
26,473 Posts
Yeah if this thing is effectively the same as HM (as you described, in a nutshell) this is a SMOKING deal. Doubtful you'll get a better QS for your money.
+1, I'd love to have over $200 back in my pocket!! That's a new rear tire!!!!! :laugh

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, your testimony alone sort of answers why the RL was created...

The RL is adjustable, just not as much as the PLUS. It is why there is not only one product, because there are certain bikes, setups and installations where a wider range of adjustability is needed. Or customers who just want to "have it all" available to them if they ever want to use it. That is the PLUS kit.

Take that thought in reverse, and you come to the RL...

After thousands of these shifters being sold to the "core" of the modern sportbikes, we pretty much "know" what is needed. So if you remove all the "don't need it" stuff, you get the same result from a more targeted product, which means we can get costs down.

Sensitivity is the technical key to Strain Gauge shifters, not kill time. And the RL has 3 way adjustability on sensitivity, all based around knowing what modern sportbikes use from setting up god knows how many of these. We have gotten it right...

Regarding kill time, let's face it. Outside of Nicky Hayden or Valentino Rossi, we seriously doubt anyone in the real world can say that their lap times are being hurt by the kill time being 62ms or 60ms or 57ms or 55ms... That Quarter Pounder with Cheese I downed before hitting the track has a lot more impact on my lap time then my kill time setting does...! I really don't think .07ms (that's milliseconds!) had much to do with the crappy line I took thru turn 8, or on my favorite backroad screwup... :)

The RL cannot do everything the PLUS can, that is why we kept 2 products on the market. But the RL CAN do what a vast majority of riders need it to do, and if not, then the PLUS awaits you...!

Hope this helps explain things a little bit...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, missed the last part of your question:

Yes, the RL is stand alone, all its operations and functions are self contained so you have no hassles with interface, or software or anything.

And yes, with just a wire loom change you can move it from bike to bike when the time comes, obviously assuming the new bike can use the shifter...

·
Is this a segment?
17,688 Posts
Well, your testimony alone sort of answers why the RL was created...

The RL is adjustable, just not as much as the PLUS. It is why there is not only one product, because there are certain bikes, setups and installations where a wider range of adjustability is needed. Or customers who just want to "have it all" available to them if they ever want to use it. That is the PLUS kit.

Take that thought in reverse, and you come to the RL...

After thousands of these shifters being sold to the "core" of the modern sportbikes, we pretty much "know" what is needed. So if you remove all the "don't need it" stuff, you get the same result from a more targeted product, which means we can get costs down.

Sensitivity is the technical key to Strain Gauge shifters, not kill time. And the RL has 3 way adjustability on sensitivity, all based around knowing what modern sportbikes use from setting up god knows how many of these. We have gotten it right...

Regarding kill time, let's face it. Outside of Nicky Hayden or Valentino Rossi, we seriously doubt anyone in the real world can say that their lap times are being hurt by the kill time being 62ms or 60ms or 57ms or 55ms... That Quarter Pounder with Cheese I downed before hitting the track has a lot more impact on my lap time then my kill time setting does...! I really don't think .07ms (that's milliseconds!) had much to do with the crappy line I took thru turn 8, or on my favorite backroad screwup...
:)

The RL cannot do everything the PLUS can, that is why we kept 2 products on the market. But the RL CAN do what a vast majority of riders need it to do, and if not, then the PLUS awaits you...!

Hope this helps explain things a little bit...
Based off of my own experience with the HM Plus setup - I could not have worded this (bolded) section better. I really think you guys may have hit a gold mine here!

...I hope so, at least. I'd hope these things sell like hotcakes - after seeing or experiencing the function of the HM components up close - you can't NOT want one! :)

·
Parts Pimp
26,473 Posts
Steve,

Thank you so much for clarifying all this for us. This really breaks the HM product into the affordable consumer market! It's a NO BRAINER!! And for anyone curious, installation takes about 45 minutes to do. Loosen radiator, install harness on coils, connect quickshifter and rod, and you're already doing your static testing with it.

AMAZING product!! Thanks to Imaking20 for recommending it highly. It truly is silky smooth and a top tier product now available at a VERY competitive price. I'm pretty jealous of everyone who will be getting the same thing as me essentially for SO much less!

Hopefully someday I'll be a boss and will begin to utilize the features of the PLUS unit!

·
Is this a segment?
17,688 Posts
Steve,

Thank you so much for clarifying all this for us. This really breaks the HM product into the affordable consumer market! It's a NO BRAINER!! And for anyone curious, installation takes about 45 minutes to do. Loosen radiator, install harness on coils, connect quickshifter and rod, and you're already doing your static testing with it.

AMAZING product!! Thanks to Imaking20 for recommending it highly. It truly is silky smooth and a top tier product now available at a VERY competitive price. I'm pretty jealous of everyone who will be getting the same thing as me essentially for SO much less!

Hopefully someday I'll be a boss and will begin to utilize the features of the PLUS unit!
Hopefully uncertain people will take into consideration how giddy we both are about this! :lmao

·
Parts Pimp
26,473 Posts
Hopefully uncertain people will take into consideration how giddy we both are about this! :lmao
I hope so too. It's seriously an AMAZING product. It makes a mockery of SO many other units I've tried, including the one that costs a small fortune that comes on the new S1000rr!!

·
Premium Member
30,463 Posts
in hindsight i'da gotten this one instead of the bazzaz one for ~$330 upcharge over my zfi. :rant

damn technology. :|

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This question keeps coming to us, so we thought we would try to clear up what appears to be confusion about the Annitori RL shifter and "connecting" to other devices:

One of the features that makes the Annitori RL Strain Gauge shifter so fantastic is that it is a "stand alone" product. It does not need to integrate with any other device; every function and control of the RL Quickshifter is self contained.

Which means it does not matter what ECU box you are running, or what software version they might be, or how these other boxes attach to the machine. You do not need to purchase any other "anything" (except a shift rod) to install the RL.

In fact, if you want to have a completely bone stock bike and run the RL, that is perfectly fine. Or, you can have a Ten Kate Honda World racing machine with every performance modification known to man on the bike, and that is fine too!

Why this is so wonderful is that there are never any software issues, never any conflict issues, never any "one product updated and lost mine" issues. The RL does not care if you have, or don't have, anything else on the machine.

Hope this helps clear up the confusion on this point, if there are any questions please keep them coming!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts