Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Living between the cars
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...call this abuse of power or call it just being on the safe side but it appears that us bikers are being targeted again. Here is a small story hope you enjoy...

Its about 4:45 on a saturday afternoon and 3 bikers leave Kannan road onto the 101 fwy with there destination being Palmdale California. To get there they must travel the 101 to 405 to the 5 to the 14. (You can just google agoura, ca to palmdale,ca to get the idea of the length of travel) So they start out on the 101. The 101 was packed full of traffic that day (i had just traveled it 30 minutes earlier) and these 3 were splitting lanes all the way to the 405. At the 405 traffic had cleared up a bit so they decided to open there bikes up to around 85-90. Once they get to the 5 freeway the 14 is about 5 minutes north and they see open highway. The first biker goes open throttle and speeds up to about 140. The second rider follows suit. The third rider decides to play it safe and cruise at a mild 70 mph. About 5 minutes into the ride on the 14 the second rider sees a helicopter above him. He thinks its a local TV stations copter and thinks nothing of it. The first rider decides to get home as quick as he can and the helicopter soon is now hovering over him and begins to circle. (The copter clocked rider 1 at 165. Rider 2 was at 145) The second rider looks in his right mirror and sees 4 CHP cars trailing him with full Code 3's. (Full lights and sirens) As he begins to slow the lead CHP takes off after Rider 1. Rider 2 decides that the CHP behind him are for him and not for his buddy and pulls over.

Once pulled over the CHP (with helicopter doing its usual Code 6 circle overhead) begins to scream and yell at the riders. CHP notifies the riders that the reason why the helicopter was called was because they have been getting a lot of bikes trying to escape when they light them up. So what happens? Rider 1 has his CM1 but rider two has an expired permit. Rider 1 gets a ticket for excessive speed and rider 2 gets his bike impounded, ticket for excessive speed and a ticket for riding out of class. The bike is now locked up (which i have to go get cuz i can tow it)

Long story short the CHP are now gunning for bikers. As i exited the 101 at Reseda i saw another biker being pulled over and a tow truck on scene. THe officer was quick to maddog my roomate and i and well we just gave her a few rev's for the cause.

I think its time to play it safe out here in LA for a while and ride 65-75. No reason to give them more excuses..

Hope you enjoyed.

·
I ride bitches year round
1,834 Posts
The police are not targeting bikers. If you are speeding you are breaking the law and deserve the impound...end of story...

·
UnZUnDUnR
1,004 Posts
I think 145, let alone 165 is plenty excuse.They can take your car too at those speeds.Valid license or not.Why wouldnt they do the same for bikers.Cant complain if your going that fast.You have to pay sooner or later.Riding with an expired license &/or out of class is just asking for it too.Sorry for the lack of sympathy.Be glad your not locked up.
Ride safe

·
Living between the cars
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me just say this was a story. I in no way think going over 90 on a freeway is ok. It was merely a story. However the CHP did tell them that they are cracking down on bikers in general due to the deaths on ACH and the stunts that happend a few weeks ago at a local bike night. THis was not ment to be a woah is me story by any means. I just thought id share it. I kinda laughed that they brought in a helicopter.

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
They were clocked going 160, how is this abuse of power? Or targeting them? They deserved it. Now if they were cruising around 70-80 I bet they would not have been "targeted".

I'm not the law defender but come on dude you can't say cops where being as wholes here considering these guys were going 3x the max speed anywhere here in NY.

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
I guess it has nothing to do with bikers "opening up" to 140mph plus. Yeah, it's all the cops fault that the bikers are making public roads their track day play pens.

·
UnZUnDUnR
1,004 Posts
Thats just the way it is & always will be.People or drivers complain about something or someone.So the law "targets" those that are causing the majority of damage/accidents, etc.Though the heli was probably a bit of overkill.They were probably filming it incase the worst happened!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just think about it...what is the difference in a cager going 30 over vs a bike going 30 over? I know this is not a direct connection of this story but yes I have done the same on both... If I get caught I deal with the consiqeinces(sp)...

·
^^ tallest Yamaha rider^^
6,296 Posts
Just think about it...what is the difference in a cager going 30 over vs a bike going 30 over? I know this is not a direct connection of this story but yes I have done the same on both... If I get caught I deal with the consiqeinces(sp)...
consequences**:fact hahaha jk

btw, i used to live in palmdale...blows major ass...but it's a hell of a ride from LA to palmdale...lots of open freeway=lots of opportunity to get ticketed

·
Registered
350 Posts
They use airplanes close to where I live, and I don't think they would need them if it wasn't for bikers. You figure there are cars that are just as fast but it is a lot more rare to see the drivers of those cars doing 100+ compared to bikers, especially when it is much easier to cut through traffic on a bike. Either way if your doing over 90 on a freeway you'll stick out to the eyes in the sky. I also always assume that if I see a cop on the side of the road that I will be his first target.

·
****in skool loans...
165 Posts
Yeah..abuse of power on that one. I think I'd be scared so $#^*less at that speed I'd forget to breathe.

·
Roll Tide Roll
63 Posts
I love getting out and opening up my bike. Here in Colorado we were all out at a local stunt spot messing around and the heli came after us. We all ran and it fixed itself on our friend with an 07 ZX-10 since he was in the front of the pack and he managed to hit 190mph and outran the ghetto bird on the freeway. So there are ways to get away but not usually on a 600.

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
I love getting out and opening up my bike. Here in Colorado we were all out at a local stunt spot messing around and the heli came after us. We all ran and it fixed itself on our friend with an 07 ZX-10 since he was in the front of the pack and he managed to hit 190mph and outran the ghetto bird on the freeway. So there are ways to get away but not usually on a 600.
:wtf:
:nono

·
Registered
869 Posts
the moral of the story= wait to gun it till the wee hours of the morning. my dad is a helicopter patrol pilot for hpd. he's been a cop for 28 years. i go up on patrol with him alot..and it seems that every time we go up, there is always a car/bike cruisin at super high speeds. ITS PRREETTYY obvious that they're speeding. so my dad treats his heli just like a patrol car..he hovers over em till a patrol car comes. lol.
BUT, as far as cops pulling over bikers just cause alot of em run...thats kinda stupid lol.

·
Registered
869 Posts
nniiccceee.

houston police fly the MD500's i remember this one time when a bike was flying out of town (for no reason..wasnt pulled over..wasnt running..just havin fun). anyways, we were way behind him..all we could see was the tail lights. from the distance, i saw his break lights come on, and turn under an underpass..he was trying to hide..he saw us following him. so my dad flew down tot he other side of the under pass about 5 ft. off the ground (it was like..4 in the morning) and instead of calling it in..he just shook the helicopter side to head (simulating someone shaking their head)..the bikerj ust waved and we flew off..

so not all cops are d bags. lol

·
Registered
459 Posts
Sounds like he should have had a brake light/back light kill switch , not that i condone running from cops

·
Registered
869 Posts
hahahah, i dont reccomend it..i've never seen an automobile get away from a helicopter.

funny thing is, people think that you can outrun an chopper in a neighborhood by taking turns...the key is to stick to a straight away..which is kinda obvious...but you'ld be suprised what people are thinking.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts