Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy. Dan from central Il here. Old fart with a "new" R6 gleaning your collective wisdom and search function for info......you guys cover the bases well...thanks!!
I had been looking for a cheap trackbike that I didnt have to worry about binning while I work on improving. Picked up what appears to be an old WERA endurance racer '99 model for pennies. He's old, he's ugly and has everything you would have wanted on one back in it's hayday. GMD adjustable triples, Penske hi/lo rear shock,Gpr damper yada/yada/yada. Perfect for my needs.
Bought him sight unseen and some friends delivered it to me at Grattan (we rent the track for 3 days every year for a private event). Took a morning to look it over, put on some new Michelins, run to Ace Hardware for a wood dowel to fix a broken fairing stay, two rolls of black duct tape over the fairing cracks and off we went. There is a lot of life left in this old dog (the bike....not me :) Track was wet and green so easy on me for the rain boots and wimpy riding.
I'm about to dive under the hood and run valves, clean carbs etc. He had a bad rich stumble at 7/8K that I need to address is all I can nick it for. DMR will freshen the shock and spring it for me.....front felt fine.
One question is can anyone identify that exhaust?(ignore the gold can...someone spray painted it hahaha)......looked at a lot of pics but can't find one exactly like it. race system/open silencer/all spring mounted with spigots at the ports. Hell, if one of you built this thing I would love to talk to you and save the reverse engineering. ;)
Glad to be here and appreciate the info you have stored here.
Dan

Attachments

·
Occasional Human
280 Posts
hey welcome Dan, people here are pretty awesome, a lot like family really .. as far as that exhaust goes... almost looks like the stock one... almost , so im not sure by just looking. 1st gen r6s kick ass IMO though, ugly or not, they have personality :YEA

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,445 Posts
:wave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts