Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone.

I've put a couple hundred miles on my R6 since I purchased it (and signed up on this forum!) and I'm looking to buy a set of new grips.

For me personally I find that I'm prone to the death grip. I constantly try to correct this but it just happens. I've done a lot of typing over the years (I do IT for a living) and although I haven't been to a doctor to be diagnosed for anything, I do have some wrist pain every now and then. Of course this is very noticeable after about 20-30 mins on the bike.

I'm thinking a thicker grip will help me with my death grip which in turn I would assume would help with my wrist pain (oh did I also mention numbing?).

According to some old topics I dug up people seem partial to the Renthal brand, others hated on the D3s and some other folks swore by OURY.

Those topics are a couple years old now so I'm curious to see what's popular today. Hell maybe one of you even suffers from the same problem and can recommend the perfect set.

What do you like? Links are welcome.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
If you want thicker, softer, more comfortable grips, you will not beat OURY. You just won't. I've been recommending them for years and Ive never heard anyone say they didnt like them.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Renthal dual compound Kevlar?

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
If you want thicker, softer, more comfortable grips, you will not beat OURY. You just won't. I've been recommending them for years and Ive never heard anyone say they didnt like them.
this!! changed my life when i switched to oury's all i recommend now

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
The pro-taper pillow tops are decent too.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Looove em on my dirt bike. Been thinking of trying them on street bikes too. No reason not to, right?

lol, true.
I have had them on my track 636. You just have to cut the ends off, but they are pretty awesome. Like a lite version of the OURY.

·
R6 is a food group.
7 Posts
I too hadn't been riding for 10 years, and suffered from the death grip, but started to relax more and it went away. You might want to try using more of your core and inner thighs to hold you on the bike. Worked for me.

This week I got rid of the stock grips and put on some Progrips 719's. A great improvement and priced right. Quite comfortable while riding. I don't get wrist fatigue. $18CAD after taxes.

I was going to get Oury's but their pricing was too high, and not available in Canada without mail order. The time/money to get a US mailbox and time to pick it up, pay taxes and duty on them wasn't worth it. $20 grips become $40 when getting shipped across the border.

When riding, move your hands around the grip. I rest the base of my hand on top of the grip, with the tips of my fingers lightly digging in/resting at the front. Try a bunch of different positions and see what works for you.

If you find no relief, get some wrist guards with a solid piece of aluminum in them. I've got that in my winter gloves (snowboarding gloves). Check out Dakine.

http://lnx.progrip.com/site/product/719

Good luck.

·
My R1 eats me.
73 Posts
I just got some Oury's for $13 shipped off ebay. I haven't tested them yet because of the rain but hopefully tomorrow I will and I'll let you know how they are. The install was easy on the left side, I used some gorilla glue and just twisted back and forth to get it on there. The throttle side was a bitch. I tried to use glue and slide it on but it was too tight and you can only twist it one direction, so I took the glue off, dumped a bunch of alcohol on it and slid it on.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I find I need to move my hands around too. Using on of those cheap plastic "cruise control" things on the throttle grip made it mush easier for me to loosen up my right hand. I have two, one for each bike now. The cheaper Chinese knock-off is actually better than the thicker "nicer" one I bought locally.
Like this;

Locally here they are $12-15, on ebay the Chinese one was under $7 shipped.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Different grips are not gonna fix your problem. You need to learn to ride without putting any weight on your hands and wrists. Beyond the pain and tingling, if your weight is on the wrists, you're not going to be able to accurately control the bike, and if you get any headshake, god help you.

Have at it it you want new grips, the stock ones are pretty hard and thin. They aren't going to fix your wrist pain problem though.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Ya this is true, for the most part^^ You should for sure be working on not putting all your weight onto your wrists. That being said, I still find the stock grips to be pretty terrible and a switch to something else was a nice change.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have the Renthal Kevlar ones, they're not bad but I just purchased some Spider SLR grips. They were originally put on my bike when I bought it and loved them but gave in to the hype of the Renthal dual compound; not impressed. So I'm switching back, they are a great grip for trackdays to limit vibrations while not numbing all the feedback from the forks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts