Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
UnZUnDUnR
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Motivated by whalerboy.I decided to get off my ass & start this mod.Thats been on the back burner for months.Yes Im too cheap to pay 150+ or even 50 bucks for one of these.I decided to give it a try.So far this is what i have.The frame is welded steel 3/16 & 1/8 rod.Im going to use cardboard(yes cardboard) as the cover.Its light a strong, afterwards i'll use fiberglass/cloth to shape, build,adhere the corregated structure to the metal frame.Anyway here's some pics of the progress.This took me about 5 hours with measureing/cutting/bending/welding/etc.Let me know what ya think, good/bad.It dont matter, its all good.

·
UnZUnDUnR
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the more ideas the better.Im still thinking of ways to alter my design & a havent even started on the shell.Are you gonna maod the seat or?Post your pics.

·
nova r6
3,219 Posts
well i would like to keep the rear seat intact (gf has her own bike but still likes to ride w/ me sometimes) thinking of carving a foam mold that totally covers the seat and secures with some of the tabs on the bottom of the seat itself fiberglass the mold etc... dont know how its going to turn out but what the hell its worth a shot. but im with you i like the supersport tails really gives a race look

·
UnZUnDUnR
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally i wanted to make a huge hump or bubble for the cowl.That would extend all the way to the back edge.Up to the tailight, but decided that was too much work.Also my main reason for this is because there is'nt much room in the storage area with the seat.My triumph has so much room in the storage compartment even without the cowl on.The R6 on the other hand, eh not so much.This should help alot.weeee

·
UnZUnDUnR
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You would just run the material over the tail section behind the seat.Leaving a 1/4 gap or so.Then shape the edges so they match the edges of your tail fairing edges.It would make it look like you have a huge storage area.I was looking at some suzuki cowls.Which are similar to this.I may go half way over just past the yamaha name & see how that looks!

·
Registered
196 Posts
that looks very nice. i had an idea on how you could cover it very easily, you would need to add a metal rod along the entire bottom and possible one more on each side of the middle support (depending on the shape desired)? take a piece of speaker grille cloth (very cheap and strethcy) and wrap it, use a little spray adhesive to attach it to itself after you fold it over and around the bottom bar/edge. then you just fiberglass it (a few coats) and your ready for sanding. i used to make custom door pods for car speakers this way although i used wood and not metal but the process is similar. anyway, just a thought that might help you out. im curious to see the end result and good luck with it.

·
UnZUnDUnR
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
that looks very nice. i had an idea on how you could cover it very easily, you would need to add a metal rod along the entire bottom and possible one more on each side of the middle support (depending on the shape desired)? take a piece of speaker grille cloth (very cheap and strethcy) and wrap it, use a little spray adhesive to attach it to itself after you fold it over and around the bottom bar/edge. then you just fiberglass it (a few coats) and your ready for sanding. i used to make custom door pods for car speakers this way although i used wood and not metal but the process is similar. anyway, just a thought that might help you out. im curious to see the end result and good luck with it.

I really dont want to add any structure or other to the underside.It would reduce the amount of space the cowl would give me.The shape will be roughly the same as the seat, but maybe slightly taller.

Lets see it when its done!
Ill post more pics when its done!

·
UnZUnDUnR
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Small update.The shape is pretty much done.All that is left is fiberglass.This wont start till this weekend at the soonest.

·
UnZUnDUnR
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats looks really nice!Any close up shots.So the cowl is steel with a cover thats matches the seat?Or is something else entirely?

·
UnZUnDUnR
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice work.How long did it take to finish?

·
UnZUnDUnR
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2 days!Wish i was done.I decided to alter the cowls shape, again.hehe.I should be done within the year though!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts