Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was heading to get some food at the old man's girlfriends house, about to head into a corner that'd I'd taken several times before in a car (and always thought of it as a death corner because of how it creeps up on you even after the mile straightaway that leads up to it).

so I go into the corner too fast, got pussy-scared and tried to brake instead of downshift and slide through the corner.... hit gravel, tires locked, I laid it down on its left side, then before I know it the bottom of the bike makes contact with the dirt/grass on the side of the road and throws the bike on its other side (inadvertently throwing me about 10 - 15 feet)... bike had to have rolled once because it was laid on its left side again, pointing back towards the road.

all things aside, I'm fine physically (thanks to gloves, jacket, helmet) aside from every muscle in my body is aching.

I had just picked up the bike earlier that day from being at the dealership for like a week getting the first lube job done, and frame sliders / spools put on (which appear to have done their job to their best capabilities).

as for the bike... the progressive claims guy was out earlier today and said it didn't look good.... primarily cosmetic damage (everywhere you look, if its plastic, its broken. tank dented... right handlebar busted. even the plastic housing around the gauge cluster is broke).

it was leaking coolant immediately after the accident.

also when I turn the key (which was bent too) to the 'on' position, I DO hear electronics fire up, however that added noise of the ((fuel pump???)) whatever does not present itself. something's not right.

I should have word back on whether they are going to total it or not. regardless... I'm pretty sick about the whole situation. 500miles on the bike, dumb situation I should've been able to get out of if I kept my head out of my ass.

[ sorry for the long post ] :fact

·
I whore my R6
1,874 Posts
TK.........throttle king? sounds like you knew it was a bad corner so maybe you should have slowed down? thats just what i would do though.

anyway, glad to hear your ok and i hope you get your bike back in good condition, how big is the dent in the tank? if it hit hard, the fuel pump may be fried

·
carbon rocks
77 Posts
That sucks man... Hope you get feal better. If they toatal your 07 the 08's are lookin really good. So do you have pic's of bike after crash??

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no pics. an '08 would be nice, however we'll see what happens in the next few days.

throttle king indeed... stupid me... stupid me... hard lesson to learn.

any opinions on what to do next??

...have it fixed? ..or buy an '08 and wreck that too? :*tongue

·
Moderatore Eccellente!
8,634 Posts
no pics. an '08 would be nice, however we'll see what happens in the next few days.
Are you sure this really happened?

j/k Hope everything works out for you. Glad ur ok.

·
I whore my R6
1,874 Posts

throttle king indeed... stupid me... stupid me... hard lesson to learn.

any opinions on what to do next??

...have it fixed? ..or buy an '08 and wreck that too? :*tongue
thats the important part.....there are 2 types of riders...those that are going down and those that have been down.....

·
Its in the 10's now
680 Posts
Here's some questions that I have how many street bike miles do you have under your belt? Is this your first street bike? Did you take the MSF course? The reason I ask is that I am starting to see the MC parking lot on base filling up fast and alot of scraped up bikes. I am in the military and they are starting to crack down on what they are paying for as far as medical and life insurance goes. One instance was a Marine on his brand damn new GSXR 1000 not even 20 miles on it got it on both sides when he "slide in some gravel" slowing to turn. I lay all blame on inexperiance and I don't know how much you have but I am talking to the inexperianced riders out there and the comfortable riders who think that it isn't going to happen to them because it hasn't happend yet trust me when I tell you, it will. Also bikes and cars handle differently and as you know there are other conditions that a car will handle that a bike will not. Take it easy and good luck getting your bike back on the road and get well soon.

·
I m starting to eat my R6
790 Posts
sorry to hear this man... but yeah good thing u got insurance and lets hope a free lesson...

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Sorry to hear. Glad you're alright. Let them total it and get a new bike! :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
..well i did just get word back from progressive... totalled...

$8100 left on the bank's tab... insurance will pay $7150 roughly.

otherwise salvage price is $3400, so less the deductible and some other things if i wanted to keep the bike then insurance would give me roughly $3165.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry to hear. Glad you're alright. Let them total it and get a new bike! :D
thats sounding like a fine idea... in about a month or two. ive had my taste of what i wanted for now.... i can wait till the weather is constantly 80+ degrees and these "April Showers" cease.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's some questions that I have how many street bike miles do you have under your belt? Is this your first street bike? Did you take the MSF course? The reason I ask is that I am starting to see the MC parking lot on base filling up fast and alot of scraped up bikes. I am in the military and they are starting to crack down on what they are paying for as far as medical and life insurance goes. One instance was a Marine on his brand damn new GSXR 1000 not even 20 miles on it got it on both sides when he "slide in some gravel" slowing to turn. I lay all blame on inexperiance and I don't know how much you have but I am talking to the inexperianced riders out there and the comfortable riders who think that it isn't going to happen to them because it hasn't happend yet trust me when I tell you, it will. Also bikes and cars handle differently and as you know there are other conditions that a car will handle that a bike will not. Take it easy and good luck getting your bike back on the road and get well soon.
wonderful questions...
- no MSF course
- first street bike, and miles on a street bike makes miles on this one's ODO which was a little over 500.

i also lay all the blame on inexperience. there were definitely things i couldve done to get me through that, and i now know the price of being comfortable with riding one of these things ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
wonderful questions...
- no MSF course
- first street bike, and miles on a street bike makes miles on this one's ODO which was a little over 500.

i also lay all the blame on inexperience. there were definitely things i couldve done to get me through that, and i now know the price of being comfortable with riding one of these things ;)[/QUOTE
Do Not! buy another bike without atleast taking the MSF!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
na. i'm in no hurry to get back on one.

i'm going to take some pics of the damage, and take them into a couple shops around here to see what they can do for the price of the payout if i decide to keep it ($3100).

if they can't do anything, i'll total it out, pay the remaining $1000, take the MSF and buy another one in July (just in time for my birthday)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts