Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Did you split the case to weld it?
Nope, just did exactly what I described and shown in the photos. No need thankfully.
Let me know how the bike runs when you have everything put back together, I've seen a few people saying case should be split as the heat from welding will ruin the bearing right behind that.

Hopefully you won't have that problem ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Let me know how the bike runs when you have everything put back together, I've seen a few people saying case should be split as the heat from welding will ruin the bearing right behind that.

Hopefully you won't have that problem ?
Yeah i've heard similar stories too, but I also have seen people get it welded with it still on the bike and have no issues so I guess we'll see lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well I couldn't leave the last broken stud. Brought it to my buddy who has a MIG welder and got the one that was snapped flush out no problem. Now I can confidently put it back with no worries of exhaust leaks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Progress!

God did that feel good after 3 years. Also realized the motor was missing 3 motor mount bolts. Ordered them off fleabay and a new sprocket cover. Trying to un**** the hack job bull shit the previous owner did even though I don't plan on keeping it. New fairings, painting the tank and moving on to a dual sport once it's all done. Not going to lie, even though this project has taken far too long, it's been goddamn satisfying.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
7 of these mounted to the walls on 45 degree angles:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DYHVN59/[/ame]

They definitely get the job done, but have short life spans so far I am seeing. I put a majority up around 3.5 years ago, and needed to replace a large portion of them. But for the price and how great they look, I really can't complain.

·
Registered
121 Posts
This might be a very stupid question but what happens if the chain breaks while driving? And what can you do to prevent it? Thats something I fear because of what I think would happen.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
This might be a very stupid question but what happens if the chain breaks while driving? And what can you do to prevent it? Thats something I fear because of what I think would happen.
It can do a lot of damage but most of the time it just falls out on the ground. But it can get lodged around the front sprocket and bust the engine case open. It could sling off the rear and bust the tail of the bike up or hit you. But it's a very low risk this happens.

Maintain the chain. Lube adjust and inspect it often.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Alright thanks. How often should the chain be replaced?
it depends how hard you ride and the maintenance you do. usually the front sprocket wears out before the chain. there's a little more to just lubing the chain though. keeping it with the proper slack is another important aspect. on a R6 with a 520 pitch chain you could get 10k maybe even 12k. if you ride it hard it may be done around 7k. on a big hp bike with a 520 it could be as low as 3k miles.
do you have an owners manual? all of this is in it. if you don't you can get them free (download) on yamahas website.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/motorsports/owners-manuals

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Fortunately for me I was very lucky when it let go. I was on the highway and all of a sudden the bike felt like it was in neutral. I coasted to a stop at a scenic overlook that came up at a perfect time.

47681859_655703479790_8404744252260614144_n by Michael Halat, on Flickr

But the damage it did took the bike off the road for 3 years. But everything @yamahacrazy said is accurate.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This happened today....
Busted my tail piece and the chain guard. The chain also slapped my leg/boot. Happened at around 75mph full throttle in 2nd.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bxnh3N6Busm/?igshid=ereanfaddubs

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
jesus you guys should seriously consider NEVER riding a motorbike again. Chains letting go is an anomally... not a reality. Or maybe join the R1 forum because it seems to be a plague there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So I just posted a vid on how mine broke and what damage it did, but for some reason the link won’t work here. Maybe because this vid has cuss words;). Who knows. If any of you guys are interested, I’m “Oregon Motorcycle” on YouTube.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts