Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2012/Jul/120703qa9cs.htm

Jorge Lorenzo lost his 25-point lead in the MotoGP World Championship when he was torpedoed out of TT Assen last Saturday. But he also lost something even more valuable - one of his six Yamaha engines for the 2012 season allotted by the rules.

A large plume of white smoke poured from the engine compartment of Lorenzo's M1 after it was dumped into the gravel by Bautista's rash move in Turn 1 of the race. That presumably destroyed engine was fitted just the day before the race, with only around 100 miles on it.

Lorenzo is left with two old engines and three new ones for the final 11 races of the season and told media after TT Assen that it would be "impossible" for him to make it to the season-ending Grand Prix of Valencia without starting from pit lane at least once due to the installation of a seventh engine during the season.

2010 World Champion Lorenzo originally suggested that Race Direction might cut him some slack on the engine allotment rule because the crash wasn't his fault. But there's no provision in the rulebook to allow that, so Lorenzo and Yamaha Factory Racing will ride a mechanical tightrope for the rest of the season.

·
Pobrecitos
19,911 Posts
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2012/Jul/120703qa9cs.htm

Jorge Lorenzo lost his 25-point lead in the MotoGP World Championship when he was torpedoed out of TT Assen last Saturday. But he also lost something even more valuable - one of his six Yamaha engines for the 2012 season allotted by the rules.
A large plume of white smoke poured from the engine compartment of Lorenzo's M1 after it was dumped into the gravel by Bautista's rash move in Turn 1 of the race. That presumably destroyed engine was fitted just the day before the race, with only around 100 miles on it.

Lorenzo is left with two old engines and three new ones for the final 11 races of the season and told media after TT Assen that it would be "impossible" for him to make it to the season-ending Grand Prix of Valencia without starting from pit lane at least once due to the installation of a seventh engine during the season.

2010 World Champion Lorenzo originally suggested that Race Direction might cut him some slack on the engine allotment rule because the crash wasn't his fault. But there's no provision in the rulebook to allow that, so Lorenzo and Yamaha Factory Racing will ride a mechanical tightrope for the rest of the season.

"torpedoed out" is pretty much dead on; I was sooo like :scared:scared:scared

That really blows about the engine.

·
Premium Member
30,470 Posts
i don't understand what happened to the motor... did it inhale a piece of gravel THROUGH the filter and destroy a piston? the wreck didn't look THAT violent. :dunno:

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i don't understand what happened to the motor... did it inhale a piece of gravel THROUGH the filter and destroy a piston? the wreck didn't look THAT violent. :dunno:
Arent they sealed engines with locks, so internal repair isnt an option really without opening the motor, right? And if gravel entered the engine in any way, its done. Even dust or sand. This is MotoGP, do you want a piece of sand to cost you your life?:laugh

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'm not saying that, i'm saying how did it blow/end up breaking? that's all i meant.
Probably the impact with the ground or maybe the from Bautistas bike.... who knows. The important thing here is that I will be praying he starts from pit lane because he is a puke and i hate his face.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:laugh

ibdb. ;) or KK.
Dieselboy owes me $5 and can suck it until he pays up, at which point he can still suck it, but will no longer owes me $5.:bowroll

·
Parts Pimp
26,473 Posts
The oil comes up from the oil pan into the cylinders, or to one side and the crank travels thru it and then the rods toss the oil into the wristpin and underside of the piston, etc. Tip over sensor FTMFW

Dieselboy owes me $5 and can suck it until he pays up, at which point he can still suck it, but will no longer owes me $5.:bowroll
:lmao

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for explaining how every engine with an oilpan works....:laugh

·
R6 rocks
68 Posts
really? whats a race without Lorenzo. I knew Stoner had that race as soon as I saw Lorenzo down... I would replace Ben Spies with Dovizioso for the next season.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yeah what's up with Ben Spies sucking this season D: I liked him.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
throttle was pinned wfo when it hit the ground.

·
R stands for RaceBike
9,022 Posts
why does everyone hate lorenzo?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts