Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080618/NEWS02/806180870

June 18, 2008
Jeff driver shoots motorcyclist

Woman tells police it was self-defense

By Harold J. Adams
[email protected]

A 39-year-old Jeffersonville woman told police that she shot a man in self-defense after they argued while driving separate vehicles along 10th Street yesterday.

The man, who had been driving a motorcycle, was shot in the chest with a .38-caliber revolver.

He was taken to University Hospital in Louisville, where he was still in surgery at 7 p.m. yesterday, police said.

Jeffersonville police spokesman Todd Hollis said the shooting occurred at 2:44 p.m. at 10th Street and Allison Lane.

Hollis said the woman was driving a sport utility vehicle with her 15-year-old son as a passenger. Both drivers were eastbound on 10th as they argued, he said.

The motorcycle was in front when the two vehicles approached the intersection.

"It looks like the driver of the motorcycle got off the bike and stepped to the SUV," Hollis said. "According to witnesses, the driver of the SUV pulled a gun and shot the motorcycle driver."

Police did not release the identities of either driver. Hollis said the woman had a permit to carry the gun.

Detective Maj. Charlie Thompson of the Jeffersonville police said no charges had been filed, and investigators expected to turn the case over to the Clark County prosecutor's office today.

"Right now we're still talking to witnesses, trying to put this case together," he said.

Thompson said police also were reviewing a videotape of the incident, which was captured by a security camera at a nearby Thorntons gas station.

Reporter Harold J. Adams can be reached at (812) 949-4028.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Not enough info in the story. If she was CCW holder, someone walking towards you, while you are in your vehicle is not enough to claim self defense. Theres alot more to this story that we will never know. Road rage is a bitch.

·
im michael jordan ballin
749 Posts
Yah, I'd like to learn more about this. Why did the motorcyclist approach the driver?
Im sure it was because of something she did to him on the road, probably almost hit him not paying attention. Why else would he just get off his motorcycle and walk over to her car? Too bad that will never come out in the story, it'll just be crazy motorcyclist walks over to an suv and gets shot.

·
I ride bitches year round
1,834 Posts
You have to be threatened with serious bodily harm or death to pull the trigger, she will go to jail. All she had to do was roll up her window. I work for a company that builds and TESTS impact sliding GLASS doors. Most people think they can break a car window with their fist, but it is very unlikely. All she had to do was roll that window up and she was safe. Proof below.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bYC8EBU7tVk

·
my R6 ate a bus
1,010 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
The witness says, "He fell to the ground and then they got out and was over the top of him cussing him, her son was kicking him."

The witness also heard the claims of self defense. She's just not sure what Parrish was defending herself against.
WTF is wrong with people? She shot the guy, wasn't that enough? Her kid's gonna be so f*ed up when he gets older.

·
R Sexiness
1,139 Posts
she should really keep her story straight in the report she said he tried to hit her but over the phone she said he did hit her. hmmmmm would love to see the bruise

·
Registered
998 Posts
I just wanted to bump this to keep the story up to date. Yalanda testified earlier this week. Who wants to take bets she gets prosecuted, but gets a bullshit sentence?

Video- http://www.fox41.com/global/video/f...chPageAdTag=News&activePane=info&rnd=74108562

Story-http://www.fox41.com/Global/story.asp?S=8678807

Yalanda Parrish could soon learn if she faces charges in road rage case

The woman who pulled the trigger in a violent road rage case is speaking out. Yalanda Parrish's own words will determine whether she's a victim or a criminal in this case.

Tuesday Parrish testified to grand jurors who will decide if criminal charges should be filed in the case. That decision could come as early as Wednesday.

Yalanda Parrish spent Tuesday morning testifying before a Clark County grand jury. Her attorney Brian Butler says, "She definitely wanted to tell her side of the story."

Parrish told her side of the story to the grand jury. Her 15-year-old son, who was in the car during the incident, also testified. But they had no comment as they left the courtroom with her attorney Brian Butler.

Butler did say, "This is a 39-year-old lady that's never been charged with a criminal offense in her life."

But last month, Jeffersonville police say Parrish and 52-year-old Wesley Mosier were involved in a violent road-rage incident. Butler says, "It's our hope that the grand jury will not recommend that charges be filed."

Parrish claims it was self-defense, and presumably told that to grand jurors who will ultimately decide if she should face charges for shooting Mosier.

There are always two sides to a story. Mosier's attorney Larry Wilder says, "I don't think there's any dispute that Mr. Mosier did not have a gun, did not have a baseball bat, did not have a knife, had no weapon."

Jeffersonville attorney Larry Wilder says Mosier's side is much different: "She opened the door and rolled down the window and shot him in the chest."

Mosier was in the hospital for several weeks, but testified before the grand jury on Monday.

Butler says of his client Parrish, "It's weighing on her as heavily as you can imagine." As Parrish waits to find out if she'll be charged, her attorney says the incident has been difficult for her too: "I don't think a minute goes by that this isn't on her mind and the stress that goes with it."

The grand jury will hear more witnesses Wednesday morning, and could begin deliberating then.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Honestly he did not deserve to get shot but if someone tries to open the door of my car they are minimum getting a beating, if I cut them off i won't instigate things ill give the "I'm Sorry" wave. These days you don't approach people in their cars thats just asking for trouble you will end up getting arrested, killed, or killing someone, conflicts these days rarely end up as shouting matches.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Honestly he did not deserve to get shot but if someone tries to open the door of my car they are minimum getting a beating, if I cut them off i won't instigate things ill give the "I'm Sorry" wave. These days you don't approach people in their cars thats just asking for trouble you will end up getting arrested, killed, or killing someone, conflicts these days rarely end up as shouting matches.

Thats the thing with this case though. She says he opened the door and tried to hit her. He says he walked up, she rolled down the window and then opened the door and hit him with the door. Witnesses said in June that she opened the door. She also had a similar event three months prior were she took out her gun. She also allowed her son to kick and yell at the guy once he was shot.

It's all going to depend on who opened the door, bringing it to the next stage.

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Ok so,
There were verbal arguments between the woman, her son and the biker
He was swerving through traffic like he was in a hurry.
She tailgated and followed him for about a mile
They get to a red light
He steps off his bike, begins walking back, she opens the door and shoots him in the chest
Now she and her son, get out of the vehicle, she calls police, her son stands over the biker yelling and kicking him

I see the biker posing a minimal threat to the woman. There was absolutely ZERO reason to have shot him. You can guarantee that if it was me, and I had my concealed carry, I would have wanted to cap her so bad, but doing so would worsen the media's views on bikers, and we would all be viewed as "gun toting thugs" and I would lay on the ground and just bleed out instead...This is absolutely absurd, I hope she gets life and her son gets juvie. There was absolutely ZERO reason to KICK HIM WHILE HE'S DOWN!!!:mad::nono:cuss

Another reason women dont need to be driving...
This story...gosh...can you imagine it if it was the other way around? The biker would be getting the death sentence...

·
my R6 ate a bus
1,010 Posts
Thanks Lex for the update. Was wondering about the outcome. Watched the video and her attorney is shitting bricks. hahah lets make a bet on how many years or months she gets? Im going to say 36months or a combo of months and service.

Other related material

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/3622735-post99.html
http://www.newsandtribune.com/local/local_story_192111920.html
http://www.news-tribune.net/homepage/images_sizedimage_198153053/resources_photoview
^^ motivational picture???
http://www.news-tribune.net/local/local_story_180014220.html

1 - 20 of 36 Posts