Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
New Yama Rider
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked but saw nothing on this...

On an R6S, going +1 in the front, +2 in the rear....

Would this be similar to stock?

Basically I needed a new chain so I went with a Driven 520 kit and by several suggestions, went with a -1/+2 set up.
Great on the street but I hated it on the highway.

I was told by a guy at STG that going -1 up front is like +2 in the rear....so is going +1 in the front going to cancel the +2 in the rear?

What are y'all's experiences with just going +2 in the rear (stock front) for highway use?

Thanks!

·
dont fake the funk
1,814 Posts
First of all R6s are for chicks :look:

I initially went -1 front/stock rear on my 08 non-S. It was quicker acceleration and fine on the expressway. Decided to go -1 front/+2 rear. Great for track riding, sucky for freeways. I recently went back to -1/stock rear and will stay with that combo.

I'd try the -1/stock rear. Sounds like you do lots of freeway and this set up will work nice for that.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Guy at STG is misinformed. Removing or adding a tooth in the front is very, very close to adding (or removing) 3 teeth in the rear.

The first question you need to ask yourself is what do you want out of the bike? Did you like the stock gearing? If you did, go back to stock, there's no reason to change. Don't change shit on your bike just because it's what everyone else does. Adding +1 in the front in addition to your +2 on the rear would be similar to having stock gearing, then adding 1 tooth in the rear. It would be a very minute difference, but the gearing would still be a tad shorter than stock.

Adding teeth on the rear is going to do nothing but add highway RPM's. If you don't want that (Which sounds like the case), go back to stock.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
+5 is a great upgrade. It won't hurt highway riding too much.

I'm currently running -1/+5 on my stuntbike and I can still hit the highway without it being too annoying.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts