Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Custom User Title
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i know it seems like everyone and their mom has been askin about chains and sprockets over the last few weeks and i hate to do it but i need to ask a question as well. right now i have the stock gearing for my 04 r6 but need to get a new chain/sprocket asap. i dont know whether or not to stay stock but with a 520 conversion or do a -1 front and stock rear or do a +3 in the rear. i do alot of interstate and long distance riding. which one is best?

i know that goin to a -1/+2 will have me using much more gas and higher rpms so i dont really wanna do that. does any one have any advice or personal experience with a -1 or a +3rear? any help would be great. you guys are the best! :YEA

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
well, if you're gonna change to a different size chain, might as well change tooth count since you'll be replacing sprockets anyway, ya dig? (yup, I just made a funny...... not everyone will get it)

Don't know about which gearing to run though. Sorry

·
Custom User Title
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
even higher rpm's with the -1/+3 .
i didnt mean -1/+3 i just mean a simple stock front and +3 on rear. but isnt that just a hair bigger than if you went -1 up front? do i really need to change the tooth count if stock is fine enough? i was just lookin to get a little more acceleration but still keep a decent interstate (90mph) setting.

·
to many toys :-)
457 Posts
i did the -1 front stock rear 520 driven kit. like the kit but did loose some top end. if your looking for fuel savings i would stick with the stock gearing & go with just the 520 kit.
just my 2cents :popcorn:

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
I get maybe....10 miles less per tank

way worth it to go with the -1/+2

·
to many toys :-)
457 Posts
i didnt mean -1/+3 i just mean a simple stock front and +3 on rear. but isnt that just a hair bigger than if you went -1 up front? do i really need to change the tooth count if stock is fine enough? i was just lookin to get a little more acceleration but still keep a decent interstate (90mph) setting.
the 520 kit is lighter & has less drag

·
Custom User Title
4,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think i'm just gonna do the -1/+2 and go with that. wtf right? if i dont like it i'll just change it out to stock

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
I love the -1+2 520 conversion I did on my bike. The power is a lot smoother, and the acceleration is great. I think if I did a -1 + 3 the front end would be too light.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just installed the -1/+2 on my 02 R6, and i've got to say i'm impressed with the improvement in performance....power wheelies aren't a problem at all now.

It does run a little higher in the rpm now, and i do need a speedohealer.

If you do alot of highway running, then i recommend the 520 chain conversion but stick with the stock gearing. Lower rotating mass and good fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
You'll love it...theres no way you'll want to go back to stock!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts