Truck needed or scooby snacks

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
I finish 4th
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current truck it getting old so I will hopefully be getting some thing new soon. I am seriously considering the F-150 with the ecoboost engine (appr. 24mpg in real world conditions) MPG is important b/c I have a long commute. I also have to have enough of a back seat to fit the carseat for my daughter :*tongue I test drove one and wasnt overly impressed but whatever its just a truck. That's the thing though, I am only hauling the bike around about twice a month. So is it worth it to get the truck? I do like having one when I need one, it makes impromptu visits to Home Depot or the furniture store easy.

The other option might seems a little weird. I am thinking a Impreza WRX. With a light single bike trailer it would have no problem pulling the bike around and would be a lot more fun on the day to day commute ect. but it's not a truck. I feel like not having the flexibility a truck gives might be missed. Those are my two options so I though I'd throw it out there and see if there are any pros or cons I have not thought of.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
aint no way in hell that ecoboost is getting 24mpg unless you drive it 30mph and pretend there are eggs under the gas pedal.

Does it pull like crazy? Yeap
Are you allowed to flash the computer or change components under warranty for a better tune? Nope
What kind of real world MPG will you see? Maybe 20 on flat ground at 60mph.
Go 85 it drops to 15 or less. Tow a trailer... you'd be lucky to get 260 miles out of a tank of fuel on flat ground.
But you can get about 500 lb/ft of torque with a good tune and a few minor component upgrades if you want to forgo your Ford warranty.

·
I finish 4th
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
aint no way in hell that ecoboost is getting 24mpg unless you drive it 30mph and pretend there are eggs under the gas pedal.

Does it pull like crazy? Yeap
Are you allowed to flash the computer or change components under warranty for a better tune? Nope
What kind of real world MPG will you see? Maybe 20 on flat ground at 60mph.
Go 85 it drops to 15 or less. Tow a trailer... you'd be lucky to get 260 miles out of a tank of fuel on flat ground.
But you can get about 500 lb/ft of torque with a good tune and a few minor component upgrades if you want to forgo your Ford warranty.
Probably want to keep the warranty lol I do drive like a old lady in my current truck, having the thrill of the bike makes me pretty calm in a car. Just not sure how bad I need a truck

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
your gunna love my nuts!
171 Posts
I have an 06 f150 lariat with the 5.4 triton and i get 20 mpg on the highway doin about 65 mph.....back roads, well thats a different story. The ecoboosts are awesome and without a doubt can get 24 to the gallon but thats only when your REALLY paying attention to how much your using your gas/breaks. Its tough for me to keep my pig at 20mpg, actually have to watch my MPG info on my dash. HATE having to fill her up but loooove how my R6 tucks right into the 6.5 bed with the tailgate up:D

·
your gunna love my nuts!
171 Posts
Also the gearing in the rear end that your particular truck would come with will makes a HUGE difference on MPG. F150s have come with a few different gear setups, some are great for towing but suck for commuting and so on.....good luck bud

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
I have an 06 f150 lariat with the 5.4 triton and i get 20 mpg on the highway doin about 65 mph.....back roads, well thats a different story. The ecoboosts are awesome and without a doubt can get 24 to the gallon but thats only when your REALLY paying attention to how much your using your gas/breaks. Its tough for me to keep my pig at 20mpg, actually have to watch my MPG info on my dash. HATE having to fill her up but loooove how my R6 tucks right into the 6.5 bed with the tailgate up:D
my work truck is a 5.4 equipped F150. At 80mph... I can get 18 pretty easy not running the a/c. Worst Id get would be 16.
The ecoboost mpgs were observed at 30-40mph. And you have to put up with Fords tune. There is another 100lb/ft & 60 hp on a stock engine to be had safely.

·
A work in progress...
13,659 Posts
I would get whatever you needed most but remember your daughter will be much safer in a truck.... For me that would be the most important consideration rather than towing my bike, but thats me :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Have you ridden in a Subaru? I feel much safe in that than a truck. If you are going on size then sure it might be, but I think overall a Subaru is a VERY safe vehicle. Plus, look at their commercials. :laugh

·
Registered
93 Posts
i didnt bother reading all the replies.....but the eco-boost motors have some sort of massive recall right now. I dont know the specifics on it, but saw it on the news a fe days ago.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,814 Posts
I knew a guy that used to use his nitrous Viper ACR to tow his nitrous stroker Busa to the track....:laugh

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,814 Posts
Have you ridden in a Subaru? I feel much safe in that than a truck. If you are going on size then sure it might be, but I think overall a Subaru is a VERY safe vehicle. Plus, look at their commercials. :laugh
Lets make a deal, I'll hit you with my lifted 4x4 Ram and you drive the Subaru. We'll compare notes afterward.

And trucks are the way to go because you dont have to have a trailer, which will limit you to 55mph in some states that limit towing speed. Doesnt sound like much unless your drive is 10 hours long. At a 15 mph differential, thats 150 miles, or close to 2 hours less on the road.... Food for thought.

·
A work in progress...
13,659 Posts
Lets make a deal, I'll hit you with my lifted 4x4 Ram and you drive the Subaru. We'll compare notes afterward.

And trucks are the way to go because you dont have to have a trailer, which will limit you to 55mph in some states that limit towing speed. Doesnt sound like much unless your drive is 10 hours long. At a 15 mph differential, thats 150 miles, or close to 2 hours less on the road.... Food for thought.
I still feel A Subaru is safe. I agree a Subaru would most likely lose in most case, but I feel the passengers would still be safe. I also didn't consider the trailer and 55 mph in some states. OP, you know your driving and needs more than anyone, so you know what you will need more.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
If you are on a head on collision would you rather be in a mini or a minivan??? I am not saying that subaru is not safe what im trying to point out is that its SAFER to be in a truck than a car because its bigger. But of course a truck is more prone to role over because its higher....

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have an '09 WRX and get 21 mpg average on the hilly streets where I live in So Cal. If driven mostly highway miles, I get 24-25 mpg. If I only drive highway, I've been able to get 27 mpg. I've kept track of my mileage with every fill up because I'm OCD like that.

Depending on your driving record, the WRX could break your bank because of insurance. It's consistently been one of the most expensive vehicles to insure.

If you have a work truck, why not buy the WRX and borrow the work truck when you need it?

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
Y not compromise and get a smaller truck with a 6 banger to save on fuel also will have towing capabilities for your moto and others stuff. Tacoma, frontier are enough to have fun but won't kick you in the sack at the pump.

I drive a 2012 Frontier and they don't get great gas mileage. At least not the 4x4 models. I think I average a bit over 17mpg. I do have a pretty heavy foot though.

Other than that, I have no complaints about my truck. I do think when my lease is up, I'm going to go SUV and buy an enclosed trailer.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts