Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
LHRB
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Code BF25 save 25% on a light weight battery for the late model R6. I have one on my ducati and it works well even in the cold.

Normally $130 now $98

Antigravity ATZ7 RE-START Battery
$129.99
The NEW Antigravity ATZ-7-RS is a hi-power lightweight Lithium-Ion battery, built with our groundbreaking RESTART Technology (built-in jump-starting) so you won’t ever get stranded with a dead battery again! Directly replaces the OEM YTZ7S, YTZ5 and others. 90% of off-road bikes use this size as well as some street bikes.
  • YTZ7S case size: 4.53 x 2.75 x 3.35 inches (LxWxH)
  • 150 Cranking Amps
  • 7 Amp Hours (PbEq)/ 3.3Ah (Actual)
  • 1.3 lbs
  • Safest Battery Technology using full BMS and Lifepo4 Lithium chemistry

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I wouldn't use a lithium battery in a bike after seeing one blow up a alternator in a car. the battery needs charged in a different way than the stock regulator/rectifiers work.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Assuming you are using a late model bike, there should be no issues. Lithium batteries are standard or factory available upgrades on some bikes.
but they're probably fitted with a regulator designed for lithium battery charging in mind. also, lithium batteries need periodical balance charging. this requires an aftermarket battery charger you need to use also. if one cell in the pack gets off from the others it will damage the whole battery. this is why shorai sells a balance charger. I know all of this because I'm in the R/C flying and racing 1/8 scale buggies. lithium batteries are finicky and need proper charging and storage charging. to me saving 3-4 lbs is not worth risking damaging hundreds of dollars worth of components of the bike.

·
LHRB
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but they're probably fitted with a regulator designed for lithium battery charging in mind. also, lithium batteries need periodical balance charging. this requires an aftermarket battery charger you need to use also. if one cell in the pack gets off from the others it will damage the whole battery. this is why shorai sells a balance charger. I know all of this because I'm in the R/C flying and racing 1/8 scale buggies. lithium batteries are finicky and need proper charging and storage charging.
The Lipos used is R/C applications are not the same as the LiFe motorcycle batteries.

These restart batteries have a smart cell balancer in the battery to balance the cells, cut off for over charge or discharge, etc..

Different animal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys! Just wanted to chime in with a few details here on using lithium batteries in motorsports/powersports applications. I certainly get the alternator aspect and we have automotive batteries with a different set up for those
I wouldn't use a lithium battery in a bike after seeing one blow up a alternator in a car. the battery needs charged in a different way than the stock regulator/rectifiers work.
Hey Yamahacrazy.... while I can appreciate you wanting to inform people of Lithium, I want to point out you have posted a video and some statements that are not quite accurate, which just muddies the waters in terms of trying to educate people on Lithium Batteries.

Heres some actual facts...

1- That test video was completely inaccurate, to the point of ridiculous. They were trying to hook up a 300Amp Hour Lithium Battery to an Alternator designed for and Auto Battery. An Auto Battery is normally a 70Amp Hour Battery. So they hooked up a Lithium Battery that is equal to FOUR normal Lead/Acid Car Batteries! Then rambled on about results after using the Alternator in a way that is not how an Alternator would be called upon to Charge a battery. For example making the Alternator act as a charger for a 300Amp Hour Battery. The exact same result would happen with 4 Lead/Acid Car Batteries hooked to an Alternator and forced to charge at low rpms for a time long enough to charge a 300 Amp Hour Battery. Ask youself why they wouldn't they just have a regular Automotive Lithium Battery such as we, Antigravity Batteries make or that Porsche, or Mercedes use in their Cars that is 60Amp Hours? Why would they go with a large solar storage battery with a 300 Amp Hour Capacity instead of the 60Ah Lithium Battery that companies like us make for Cars? BUT let me qualify this by saying this might be intended for people trying to charge their RV Batteries for House Batteries.... but the same result would happen with Lead/Acid... but they don't distinguish these facts. So this test would only relate to that situation not a Car or Motorcycle Battery.

2- Lithium Batteries have already been used and are in manufacturers bikes since 2016 by KTM, then Yamaha and Honda, and now Kawasaki. And the aftermarket has been making them since 2010 such as our Antigravity Batteries. They are the norm now, but not everybody will need one or desires one, they are more expensive but have several benefits over lead, such as longer life, features like we offer of built-in jump starting and they start bikes better and of course weigh about 60% less in. Also several Car maker are using lithium like Porsche, BMW, Mercedes and a few others... Ford is also going there.

3- Bikes systems are NOT at all different when you use a Lead/Acid or Lithium Battery because the Lithium Chemistry of Lifepo4 operates in the same voltage range as a Lead/Acid battery. That means the charging systems all the lighting and other electronics work exactly the same for both because they both operate in the same range. No difference at all.

So I'm not trying to blast you.... I'm saying you are not really understanding the realities and facts of how lithium operates, and how it is used by the manufacturers now and is accepted a great alternative, and has been for going on ten years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts