Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, New to the group, Just picked up a salvaged 03 R6, Its all stock suspension and exhaust. Its gonna be a trackday only bike and part time race bike. Im plan on taking it to a trackday to get a feel for it, take it easy and have fun basicly. Im setting the suspension up for (205lbs) me but was wondering if you have any drag problems with either exhaust, pegs or body work. I really dont plan on spending much more than whats needed at this time (repairs, race fairings, tires, complete chassis slider kit). I would hate to find out at the track that the bike has major drag issues, so exhaust or rearsets may be a needed part? (also plan to test out the recommend suspension setup)

Also i'll be running 208gps, with the 120/70 front so will compensate for the taller profile, anyone finding a better setup lowering/raising the front end from stock?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
You'll have drag issues with the stock rearsets and pipe, it will drag right where the can starts.

You might also have botteming problems if lowering the front to compensate for the tire, better off raising the rear.

Otherwise guys have had good luck raising the fork tubes 10- 15mm's for the tire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, as i was prepping it i notice the shock mounts to the frame through a large bolt which can has enough thread showing to add a spacer to lengthen the shock, I'll try out some different sizes there instead of raising the fork tubes. That'll help some.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well did my first trackday on the R6, it went well. I ended up using a 6.5mm spacer under the shock mount, which by my crude measurement was a 10.8mm raise in ride height, figured it wouldnt be linear but not sure how it that came about. In either case if it was a true 10.8mm higher in the rear and switching to a 70 series tire in front which is @ 6mm higher in front, then the difference would be ~4.8mm raise in the rear leaving the stock fork tube height.

As for performance/handling. I started with the recommeded setting and tweeked it till i felt comfortable on it. After getting somewhat accustom to the bike, i would only drag the pegs once in a while in certain turns. Never drug the exhaust or bodywork. The bike seemed to turn well, But after i get some rear sets, i mess with the ride height again. But for a first ride, it was good and i didnt dump it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts