Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you can only truly get better and get a better feel by actually getting out there. I'd like something to read or even watch to jar some memory loose. It's been about 8-9 years since I've last ridden on a track and plan on getting back out there next year.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Check out Faster Safer.com. Those guys run the Yamaha Champions school. Their "free" vids are pretty informative. I actually used one of their vids to get some tips on a "new to me" track. Helped out alot.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Twist of the wrist 1 and 2

·
Registered
19 Posts
If none of that helps just go and sign up in the beginner's group (it's got nothing to do with beginning if you remember), and just have fun. Take your time out there and just let it flow. Don't push anything, like trying to drag knee. If you can great, but it is not important. Learn the line and have fun would be what I recommend, because if you don't have fun, what's the point. I try to watch vids about the track I am going to, but that is about it. I think too much information for that first day back is very distracting. Make a checklist of things to bring and pack, try to get a good night's sleep and drink a lot of water the day before.

·
^^Slow guy on fast bike^^
86 Posts

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
This.. Or even better, take a school as your first time back on track..
ya I dont know about that. Ive brought friends to the track, that had tens of thousands of miles on street & dirt bikes. They were somewhat "overwhelmed" getting used to riding on a closed course plus having to learn track procedures & flags, etc. Let alone rider technique.

·
^^Slow guy on fast bike^^
86 Posts
ya I dont know about that. Ive brought friends to the track, that had tens of thousands of miles on street & dirt bikes. They were somewhat "overwhelmed" getting used to riding on a closed course plus having to learn track procedures & flags, etc. Let alone rider technique.
This isn't his first time on a track though.. Just the first time in a while.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This.. Or even better, take a school as your first time back on track..
I was thinking about this because a coworker wants to get on the track for the first time and asked if I'd take a class with him. Gonna contact NOLA to see what they have scheduled for 2015.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
First time I went to Track I took the class and it was well worth it. Did it by myself and had a great time. After first couple sessions I said to myself on the way back to pits, street riding isn't worth it. So either first time or first time in a while, a track class will always be worth it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think it depends on how they get introduced to the track. At the California Superbike School (i've been a coach there for over 10 years) we have a very specific approach to getting students out on the track for the first time and very strict safety standards and rules. We have many many students that have a zillion miles on the street that have never been on the track before and I think if it is introduced in a safe and comfortable manner then it isn't overwhelming at all.

I was thinking about this because a coworker wants to get on the track for the first time and asked if I'd take a class with him. Gonna contact NOLA to see what they have scheduled for 2015.
Let me know if you have any specific questions about CSS and I'll do my best to answer. They have the 2015 schedule up on the website already and visit several tracks throughout the USA and elsewhere around the world :)

:D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Trying to convince a friend of mine to buy twist of the wrist. He's a decent rider but I think twist of the wrist would be a huge help.
As far as the track days go, most will offer some beginner instruction for 1st timers or riders still in the beginner group. Some track day organizations might offer suggestions in the intermediate and above.
I took CCS in 03 and it made a huge difference. I took it again in 09. The second time around was more of a refresher. It gave me confidence again after I crashed on the street. If you are going take a class or buy a book I would go with CCS/Twist of the wrist.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts