Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need an expert to help work on my r6. Someone who is very familiar with rebuilding engine. I was told i might have a piston problem. the mechanic quoted me like almost $1k and i need someone to help me do it for a very very good price. anyone out there?

·
My R6 eats Ninjas.
749 Posts
I really need an expert to help work on my r6. Someone who is very familiar with rebuilding engine. I was told i might have a piston problem. the mechanic quoted me like almost $1k and i need someone to help me do it for a very very good price. anyone out there?
for a $1000 bucks it would be cheaper to buy a block and replace the whole block, or rather just buy a whole new engine and put one in. Have you torn into the engine at all yet?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
for a $1000 bucks it would be cheaper to buy a block and replace the whole block, or rather just buy a whole new engine and put one in. Have you torn into the engine at all yet?
honestly bro i know nothing about mechanics. i have done nothing to it. im still debaiting if i should leave it for a mechanic or not

·
My R6 eats Ninjas.
749 Posts
What part of LA do you live in?

·
My R6 eats Ninjas.
749 Posts
I'm pretty close by in Alhambra/Monterey Park area, i could probably help out a bit.

Why did your mechanic friend think it was a piston problem? did he give you any reasoning or symptoms that made him think that? And what did he say he was going to do to it for the $1000 price tag?

·
My R6 eats Ninjas.
749 Posts
rosemead is not far at all. i'm pretty busy this week and i'm prepping for a track weekend in two weeks, is this your only mode of transportation? Because I might not be able to get over there to check it out til next week.

Also can you centralize what part of the engine the grinding noise is coming from? and please try to refrain from starting it too much because it might only be causing more damage.

The first three things i would do, would be
1) Drain the oil, check for any metal shavings, if you see metal shavings then this means that something inside your engine is damaged and you're looking at tearing apart the engine like previously mentioned to replace/repair any damaged parts

2) You said you did something with the stator? did you replace it? replace the cover? I would take that back apart and double and triple check that?

3) Next step after that would be to do a compression test on each cylinder, if it is one of the pistons, a compression test will tell you what cylinder is causing the issues

If I can't help you with this in the next couple days, do it with the supervision of someone else who has some kind of mechanical experience so you don't cause any further damage. the school of hard knocks is a tough way to learn and isn't cheap!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rosemead is not far at all. i'm pretty busy this week and i'm prepping for a track weekend in two weeks, is this your only mode of transportation? Because I might not be able to get over there to check it out til next week.

Also can you centralize what part of the engine the grinding noise is coming from? and please try to refrain from starting it too much because it might only be causing more damage.

The first three things i would do, would be
1) Drain the oil, check for any metal shavings, if you see metal shavings then this means that something inside your engine is damaged and you're looking at tearing apart the engine like previously mentioned to replace/repair any damaged parts

2) You said you did something with the stator? did you replace it? replace the cover? I would take that back apart and double and triple check that?

3) Next step after that would be to do a compression test on each cylinder, if it is one of the pistons, a compression test will tell you what cylinder is causing the issues

If I can't help you with this in the next couple days, do it with the supervision of someone else who has some kind of mechanical experience so you don't cause any further damage. the school of hard knocks is a tough way to learn and isn't cheap!
It's hard to tell where that noise is coming from. It's a weird noise it makes every time I try to start it. It will make a turnover sound with that rattling sound at the same time. Sorry it's just pretty hard to explain. I've took the stator apart and examine the whole area and everything seems to be in place. I have drains enough oil from removing the stator already and I did not find any sign of metal shaving. The last thing to do is to check the compression of the cylinder. How so I do that?

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's hard to tell where that noise is coming from. It's a weird noise it makes every time I try to start it. It will make a turnover sound with that rattling sound at the same time. Sorry it's just pretty hard to explain. I've took the stator apart and examine the whole area and everything seems to be in place. I have drains enough oil from removing the stator already and I did not find any sign of metal shaving. The last thing to do is to check the compression of the cylinder. How so I do that?
The oil that would contain the shavings would be in the bottom of the oil pan. You should drain the oil out of pan like you would doing an oil change.

I hear you're a youtuber so I found this short and sweet video on how to change your oil.

http://youtu.be/E-35p-zYvhQ

Let us know what you find and goodluck!

EDIT: Do NOT under any circumstance try and start it anymore. You will just make it worse.

·
My R6 eats Ninjas.
749 Posts
The oil that would contain the shavings would be in the bottom of the oil pan. You should drain the oil out of pan like you would doing an oil change.

I hear you're a youtuber so I found this short and sweet video on how to change your oil.

http://youtu.be/E-35p-zYvhQ

Let us know what you find and goodluck!

EDIT: Do NOT under any circumstance try and start it anymore. You will just make it worse.
^^^This!!! The metal shavings would be in the bottom of the oil pan as they are heavier than the oil and will sink to the bottom. When you drain the oil look for metal flakes or metal shavings.

If you can, wait til I can come over and I will help you to do a compression test.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll go ahead and check, when do you think you can come down?? I'd like to know ahead of time so I can rearrange my work schedule

1 - 14 of 14 Posts